PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the replica 88 seat cover idea...

YFZRob
02-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Hey guys. I've decided to do a little bit of a mini-resto on my 88 and take her back to stock. I might go crazy once I get started with powder coating the frame and end up going for the showroom new look. BUT, either way, I really want to get a new seat cover that looks identical to the OEM '88 "Fourtrax" cover. I know it was discussed years ago and someone even made a stencil but has anything new surfaced with companies out there that can recreate the logo on a generic red cover or anything of the sort? I have new OEM plastics still in their honda boxes along with all new OEM decals waiting for them. If I do the "showroom" resto, I'll be probably going all out with the new plastics and selling the originals (which are still in good shape), but I'll definitely want a fresh seat cover. My original seat still looks good, just not perfect.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Here's what she looked like when I returned her to all stock about 4 years ago when I debated selling her. I'm shooting to replicate this but with even more attention to detail.

DoonRider
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Beautiful quad.
This is my seat that Cosmic Quads recovered and stenciled awhile back

YFZRob
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
NICE! That's perfect! So do they have the details saved from doing your seat (or any other previous one) to repeat that? Did they provide the cover as well? I've got a 30 hour old OEM seat with a generic gripper cover on that I want something like that done to.

beastlywarrior
02-02-2012, 12:31 PM
X2 on cosmic quad and keep those plastics you probably wont get any better

DoonRider
02-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by YFZRob
NICE! That's perfect! So do they have the details saved from doing your seat (or any other previous one) to repeat that? Did they provide the cover as well? I've got a 30 hour old OEM seat with a generic gripper cover on that I want something like that done to.

They supplied the cover. I think they put these together on a regular basis so you just need to tell them what you need. I just had an 86 style done too.
I'm not sure how it would work on your gripper cover but you could discuss that with them.
Tammy - tmosher1@neo.rr.com is who you need to contact. I learned about Cosmic Quads from others on this site.

beastlywarrior
02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Then again my friend was trying contacting her about seat covers and when he said he wanted one for a warrior he heard nothing back

k10seibel
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Cosmic quads did my '89 seat. Tey are TOP notch for sure. Not to mention very easy to work with. I supplied them with an NOS seat (black honda cover). They removed the cover and furnished this as a final product. They can handle just about any seat need. Great R buy the way. I still have your '88 R pics saved here on my PC. Good luck!
http://www.cosmicquads.com/4436.html

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic025.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic024.jpg

250Renvy
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Depending what your budget is like there is a guy on trx250 net site that has a NOS seat cover with no stencil - could go either way - 88 or 89. Could try getting that and sending to Tammy for the stencil.

If you put new OEM plastic on your quad, are you going to still ride it or does it become a show piece?

I'm thinking you could probably sell both those sets of plastic and buy a complete new quad or just replace the plastic with maier or fullbore to trash and not worry about what you have into it.

YFZRob
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Depending what your budget is like there is a guy on trx250 net site that has a NOS seat cover with no stencil - could go either way - 88 or 89. Could try getting that and sending to Tammy for the stencil.

If you put new OEM plastic on your quad, are you going to still ride it or does it become a show piece?

I'm thinking you could probably sell both those sets of plastic and buy a complete new quad or just replace the plastic with maier or fullbore to trash and not worry about what you have into it.

The cosmic seat cover will work perfectly to replace the gripper cover on my NOS seat. Awaiting a reply now.

I really am not sure about the plastics. The quad sees about two to three hours of run time a year now. The plastics are boxed up as they came from Service Honda years ago...sitting up in the hot attic. So, I am thinking selling the original plastics for a good chunk, along with the original seat and use the new stuff since, particularly in stock form, will just get fired up ever few months to putt around on my 1.5 acres surrounding the house. I bought the plastics to enjoy it, not bake away in a hot Florida attic, so once I know the quad will never see another hare scramble or full days of trail riding, I might as well use them.

beastlywarrior
02-02-2012, 05:03 PM
Oooo idk man those nos plastics are worth a lot and as soon as you put them on and use them the value plummets

DoonRider
02-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy

I'm thinking you could probably sell both those sets of plastic and buy a complete new quad

You could buy a new Yamaha Raptor 250R....j/k.;)

TLR-Online
02-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by k10seibel
[B]Cosmic quads did my '89 seat. Tey are TOP notch for sure. Not to mention very easy to work with. I supplied them with an NOS seat (black honda cover). They removed the cover and furnished this as a final product. They can handle just about any seat need. Great R buy the way. I still have your '88 R pics saved here on my PC. Good luck!

Nice Andy! Tammy is doing an 89 seat for me right now. Hope it turns out as nice as yours!

k10seibel
02-03-2012, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by TLR-Online
Nice Andy! Tammy is doing an 89 seat for me right now. Hope it turns out as nice as yours!

Hey thanks TRL, I'm sure they'll take good care of your seat too!

BTW, the NOS '88-'89 (blank) red replacement seat cover is a good suggestion. But, the warning on the rear is not the same as was issued when these bikes were built. If memory serves me, I think the warning has a white background with the orange boarder... or something like that. I know there is a color that is off (steered me away). The Mosh's warning isn't 100% perfect either, but real close and probably less expensive than the NOS replacement red cover. Just wanted to raise the point/idea....

I'd hang on to the plastics. Just my .02 cents.

YFZRob
02-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Well, I bought the plastics to use, not rot away in the attic so the NOS ones are either making me $$ on ebay or being used. I just hate to sell them and then get a nasty crack in my originals without an OEM replacement.

88r8303
02-03-2012, 07:25 AM
How much you gonna want for the plastic that is on it? I agree totally man i wouldnt let a new set just hang out and rot. Its not like they are gonna become a museum piece or anything?

YFZRob
02-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Not sure yet Rusty.

esstrx250r
02-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Tammy at Cosmic Quads did my custom seat on my TRX. She shaved the foam for a 86-87 height and did a custom black gripper cover. She does amazing work!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/esseclipse/DSC00391.jpg