PDA

View Full Version : Plug Burn Color With 110 Octane ?

RYANHENRY
02-01-2012, 06:52 PM
im having some issues with my motor im getting coolant leaking out from the back of my cylinder intake side just a lil bit between the head and cylinder.then ist also coming up out through a couple of studs.but im wondering if im getting any coolant in side the cylinder its self what should a plug look like when running sunoco 10 im clear up to a 195 main and stock cylinder punched out to a 310 b8es plug and ist burning like a light goldish brown color i always thought a darker brown was the best so if im getting coolant in the cylinder what would that make the plug look like or is it just that way from running 110 ?

JoePA
02-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure what color it will be but I suggest tearing the head off and replacing the gasket. My top end is shot as well as I smoked my crank and bearing because of the leak!! $$$$$$$ head gaskets are cheap. Cranks are not!

Deadly
02-01-2012, 11:09 PM
If you have a torque wrench check that the nuts are torqued down to the proper spec and haven't worked their way loose. Tends to especially happen on powder coated heads. Personally instead of replacing the gasket I would send the head to Arlan@ LEDPerformance and have him setup it up for the o-ring style head gasket. Years ago I was on a riding trip after a fresh rebuild and just like you fluid coming out the head gasket on the back and up the post out the top. I don't carry a torque wrench with me so I just snugged it down and rode it that way for 2 more years heh. Hoping yours is just that easy.

Coolant typically burns white and has a sweet sickening smell to it. My rule of thumb on plug color is paper bag brown. But what you really should do is an actual plug chop.

sand_blaster
02-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Your real close, we should ride :D

RYANHENRY
02-02-2012, 06:47 PM
i have a cool head i have been torquing the head nuts to 22 foot pounds the head is just polished billet.im running about 215psi ist gotta be from the head gasket not sealing good enough i have a copper head gasket that is like .025 thick .i also spray it with copper gasket sealer before putting it together. i cant really smell if it is burning the coolant im just getting a strong smell of race gas. a plug chop ? thats when you run it up in like 4th gear on teh main and pull the clutch in a kill the engine right i have been doing that get the same plug color evry time even when i adjusted the clip on the needle im on the 4 setting down and again on a 195 main ist just crazy i would think that it would be burning pretty rich im gonna try this other gasket i have only problem is that is is really really thin .010 but i dont really wanna have more compression than what i have now lol would be nice to have the head o ringed but if im gonna go that route i might as well just by a esr cylinder that is already done that would be nice

Deadly
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I'd have to agree about the head gasket. Man do I hate those copper gaskets! Just an FYI 17-21 ft-lb's. I typically go no more than 19.

You don't specify the top end size or the carb size but maaaaaan is that some seriously fat jetting you got going on. I'm in Oregon as well so as an example I use a 38mil AS on a 300 kit and the pilot jet is 54, main is a 168 and 3rd clip position on a DDJ needle with AF screw 1 1/2 turns out.

Get that cylinder sealed up and then work on your jetting. Quick guide for you to use as a quick reference point. http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html

You could have a crank seal out. Left side would suck air leaning your mixture and if the the right was out it would allow gear oil to go up top and burn making your plug wet not to mention your motor acts like it can't quite clean out.

RYANHENRY
02-03-2012, 07:41 PM
im about a 310 my carb is a 38pwk with a 50 pilot and af screw is also 1 1/2 out it idles fine plug is actually little when i check it just on idle stock needle dont remember what it is the slide is a number 6. ive had the crank seal go out on it awile back on the clutch side i put a new one in and was fine after that now just having the head sealing issue