PDA

View Full Version : Oil shavings

jkosakowski
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Ok i changed my oil and and you could see teeny litle flakes and i meen teeny should i be woriried about anything. My top end is getting rebuilt in 2 weeks think its alright to ride still?

CJM
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Gotta look to see where the shavings are from. Chances are its not the topend but the bottom end-the crank more than likely.

Id tear it apart and see if the rod has play.

TheAwesomehonda
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
It should run for 2 weeks like that but idk if its a good idea for your bearing and stuff.

jkosakowski
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Will i be able to see if the rod has play by taking the whole top end of?

CJM
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
It should run for 2 weeks like that but idk if its a good idea for your bearing and stuff.

Will it run, sure you bet-is it a good idea-hell no!

If you take the topend off you can examine everything and see if your rod has play in it. Up/down has play slightly, side to side should be tight!

Course if everythings fine at the rod it could be a bunch of other things wrong. Me, I personally wouldnt run the engine knowing shavings are coming from somewhere.

Stickman400
01-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Yea, take the top end apart, take the piston off the rod and then check for side to side or up and down play .

jkosakowski
01-31-2012, 08:34 PM
Ok il make sure to have them check that when they take it apart thanks guys

hocman123
01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Will it run, sure you bet-is it a good idea-hell no!

Up/down has play slightly, side to side should be tight!

no that is the other way up and down should have no play at all thats were the bearing is. left to right u should have a little play if it was pinned on the sides the rod would never move.

Stickman400
02-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by hocman123
no that is the other way up and down should have no play at all thats were the bearing is. left to right u should have a little play if it was pinned on the sides the rod would never move. I believe this is correct. If I remember right from the service manual.

dxcody
02-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
I believe this is correct. If I remember right from the service manual.

I was getting ready to say, "oh crap!" because i just put mine back together and it had a slight side to side play, not alot but just a tiny bit but no up and down play.

CJM
02-01-2012, 04:20 AM
Sorry backwards lol..

JOHNDOE83
02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Are you sure its actually metal flakes?

I know I thought the same thing shortly after I bought my EX because I saw flakes in the oil, after a thurough check up it was determined that it was actually the wear down from clutch fibers?

Ive run mine for over 5 years like that and it seems to be fine to this day?

I could be wrong but mines done that for awhile and Ive heard of a few others that do to.

With over 5 years of oil changes if it were actual metal flakes there would be no motor left inside...lol.

jkosakowski
02-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Thats what im begining to wonder because my clutch is starting to slip a litle and there id no bad noises or anything coming from the engine.