PDA

View Full Version : oil

atver13
01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
whats the advantages / disadvantages to using 20w 50 to 10w 40?

dxcody
01-31-2012, 06:31 PM
10-40 in the winter is a little easier to get your engine warmed up.

20-50 in the summer helps keep your motor cooler in hotter temps

Crosshairs
01-31-2012, 07:21 PM
20/50 will take the heat better,and maintain its viscosity better when hot, but I don't think it will make the engine run any cooler...at least I've never heard that before

dxcody
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Crosshairs
20/50 will take the heat better,and maintain its viscosity better when hot, but I don't think it will make the engine run any cooler...at least I've never heard that before

Oh yea your right, i was thinking synthetic.
Synthetic oil makes your engine run cooler.
BUT dont run that, i am having an off day today. Sorry about that.

CJM
01-31-2012, 08:13 PM
In colder temps the lighter weight oil will flow easier.

quadmanw
01-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Is synthetic oil bad? What about Hondas stuff in the black bottle with red cap?

CJM
01-31-2012, 09:00 PM
No its fine in these engines.

The oil you can typically use is 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-50 since the engine likes a heavier oil.

About the only warning when using oils designed for cars and not atvs is it must NOT say anything about energy conserving on the bottle. Since the EX motor uses a wet clutch system and shares the oil with the entire engine the additives in such an energy conserving oil are very bad.

quadmanw
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
I've always used 10w-40.. Seems fine to me lol

JOHNDOE83
02-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Synthetic oil is fine, they sell it for motorcycles and atvs.

atver13
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
thanks guys one more question how the heck do you get out the swingarm bolt that goes through the back of the motor?

JOHNDOE83
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
sometimes they freeze in there and have to be cut out, mine was froze and slightly bent. I had to actually cut part of the swingarm off, luckily I was replacing the swingarm at the time.

try turning it on its side and using lots of PB blaster a mallet or a hammer and try to get it to start moving, if it wont move you may have to cut it out.

Stickman400
02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221737

CJM
02-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by atver13
thanks guys one more question how the heck do you get out the swingarm bolt that goes through the back of the motor?

If its froze, as others have already stated your not going to have an easy time at all.

Id start by trying to soak the area with PBlaster, chain lube, and a mix of acetone/auto trans fluid and see where it gets ya.

Me, I have a snap on portable impact that yanked the sucker right off easy. Then I coated it heavily with anti-sieze lubricant and havent had any issues. Plan on replacing the bearings and bolt if it doesnt budge.

dxcody
02-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Me, I have a snap on portable impact that yanked the sucker right off easy.

Bet that sure wasnt cheap!

What do those run? Like $400?

Snap on it really high on prices and that and craftsman is all my dad will buy.

Pivot bolt... They are NOT FUN!

i have about a half can of antisize on mine.

CJM
02-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
Bet that sure wasnt cheap!

What do those run? Like $400?

Snap on it really high on prices and that and craftsman is all my dad will buy.

Pivot bolt... They are NOT FUN!

i have about a half can of antisize on mine.

check your pms cody. but trust me, the snap on guns worth it.

Stickman400
02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
My dads the same way cody. We've got a 1/2" drive Craftsman electric impact I use to dis-assembly things quickly, it works like a charm.

whyzee
02-02-2012, 04:52 AM
I had to have my swingarm cut off and the pivot bolt cut out . It was an $800 nightmare.

dxcody
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
My dads the same way cody. We've got a 1/2" drive Craftsman electric impact I use to dis-assembly things quickly, it works like a charm.

Yea i have an impact like that too, works really good for small stuff, like the valve cover bolts, with them you can have the valve cover off in 2 or 3 mins!

Also, what i had to do with my pivot bolt was, take a Sawzall and flip the blade around on it, so the cutting side of the blade it pointing up when your holding it in your hands.
Remove the sub frame and all that stuff on the back end that you can for easy access to the pivot bolt. Put the swingarm on jack stands at whatever height gives you the most clearance between the swinger and the bolt.

Start cutting CAREFULLY!
If your standing behind your quad, facing the pivot bolt, the Left side of the bolt looks like its going to be a PITA to cut through but its actually the easier side.
You just cant see where your cutting so you gotta know when to stop. You dont wanna make a quick change hole for your transmission :)

Thats just what i did.. there are several other methods that guys have on here that you can try first.

I soaked mine in PB Blaster, and heated it for a week straight, and still didnt budge when i tried to take it out.

Ntensweapon
02-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
Yea i have an impact like that too, works really good for small stuff, like the valve cover bolts, with them you can have the valve cover off in 2 or 3 mins!

Also, what i had to do with my pivot bolt was, take a Sawzall and flip the blade around on it, so the cutting side of the blade it pointing up when your holding it in your hands.
Remove the sub frame and all that stuff on the back end that you can for easy access to the pivot bolt. Put the swingarm on jack stands at whatever height gives you the most clearance between the swinger and the bolt.

Start cutting CAREFULLY!
If your standing behind your quad, facing the pivot bolt, the Left side of the bolt looks like its going to be a PITA to cut through but its actually the easier side.
You just cant see where your cutting so you gotta know when to stop. You dont wanna make a quick change hole for your transmission :)

Thats just what i did.. there are several other methods that guys have on here that you can try first.

I soaked mine in PB Blaster, and heated it for a week straight, and still didnt budge when i tried to take it out.

Just to add to what dxcody said. I used a grinder with a thin cut off wheel for the two center cuts and a saw-zall for the outer cuts. I placed a piece of 1/8 inch steel between the cases and swinger for protection. I would cut a little then turn the bolt. Keeps from getting the wheel dangerously close to the engine. It only took about 30 minutes and I had minimal damage. Just some roughed up powder coat.

Rohr397
02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
On the subject of oil, anyone out there tried the new Klotz fourstroke synthetic oil. When I had my Banshee a lot of people said Klotz is the best and they swore to it.

Plus I heard it smells great and they made it so their fourstroke oil would give off the same smell even though it's not burning the oil. Haha not that it would serve any real purpose but whatever!

I'm interested in giving it a shot, but I have learned to always resort to the exriders forum before finalizing all quad-related decisions.

CJM
02-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Klotz is all I would use in a 2 stroke, good stuff. But the EX aint that picky imho for the price they want for that stuff.

powerbomb400
02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I'd keep with Castrol or a similar oil. I've never had good luck with wet clutches and synthetic oil. If the 400ex was like the 450r and had split cases where the synthetic oil is for the head and cylinder and crank and the other is for the tranny and clutch basket I'd so go for it.

atver13
02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
ok i need some new ideas on how to get this swing arm bolt out ive tried impact wd 40 pb blaster saw szaw 10 lb sludge hammer i cant get it to budge

JOHNDOE83
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
A 4in grinder with a metal cutoff wheel is the best thing to use to cut it out.

If you pull the rear shock off then jack the rear end up really high its easier to work on.

I would get the new bearings and spacers before trying to fully get it out, I also would recommend being ready to buy a new swingarm in case you need to cut into it like I did.

On ebay you can get a swing arm for $60-$150 so dont be to worried about maybe having to do it.

I had to cut between the motor and swinger and between swinger and chassis and had to cut off the right side of my swingarm to get mine out.

But I did have a new replacement +7 swingarm to put in.

atver13
02-03-2012, 06:25 PM
id rather not cut my swingarm i dont have money for a new one