PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Quad

Number22
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey,

I'm trying to get a quad from WI to VA at a decent shipping price. I had used Fedex Freight to do this in the past, but their quote was over $1K which seems really high. It would be on a palette and picked and delivered to at locations that have forklifts and loading docks (it will be on a palette). Does anyone have a carrier they can recommend? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DVS_Freestyler
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
I just shipped one from MN to FL right before Xmas and it was $600. Can't remember the name of the company though, but you'll find something cheaper than fedex.

DoonRider
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
I shipped one from IA to Pittsburgh, PA to another member on here. I shipped it FedEx Freight in a crate. It cost $132. The business where I work has a deep discount and an FKA that dropped the freight class. (The freight class is determined by the density of the freight. Heavier freight that takes less space ships cheaper than bulky freight that takes a lot of room.) I shipped from business to business as well.

I shipped it class 100, but class 150 might have been more accurate, but since it was crated no one knew the difference.

DoonRider
01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Does the business with the forklift and dock have special pricing set up? Make sure you ask for that pricing. We have an 81% discount which is pretty typical for a business that ships alot of freight.

Number22
01-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the replies and info. I'll check with the seller to see if going through the company he works for will help save some bucks.

danhung11
01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Try Old Dominion Freight, it's also cheaper to drop it off at a hub then to hired the company to come out and pick it up. Good luck man! Take plenty of pictures of it before it's crated up, and after it's crated up. ;)

ryanowarrior
01-31-2012, 08:35 PM
I've heard people talk bout uship.com dunno much or ever used them though..

alaska450r
01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
I have used R&L Carriers in the past and as recently as last month. They do a good job and are very reasonably priced. . .

You can use a couple of pallets to make a shipping platform for your quad. It seemed to work pretty good for me the 3x that I did it. No damage of any sort.

DoonRider
01-31-2012, 10:19 PM
I framed up a crate, secured the quad and then sheeted it with plywood.
I can get you a phone number for CH Robinson too. They can find you the best deal between all the carriers they use. They're a broker. It will cost $300 to $400 with them I am guessing (dock to dock/no residential).

Built it on my trailer so it get could forked off.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac354/DoonRider/DSCI0384.jpg
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac354/DoonRider/DSCI0369.jpg

Number22
02-01-2012, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by DoonRider
[B]I framed up a crate, secured the quad and then sheeted it with plywood.
I can get you a phone number for CH Robinson too. They can find you the best deal between all the carriers they use. They're a broker. It will cost $300 to $400 with them I am guessing (dock to dock/no residential)

Cool, I would definitely appreciate it. If you could email me (smlhrrs@aol.com) his contact info, that would be great.

Thanks,

Sam

Burns310r
02-01-2012, 06:55 AM
No offense DoonRider, but why would you sell a pristine machine like that... Man that thing looks awsome. needs to be a Trophy in my shop

DoonRider
02-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Burns - Those were Maier fenders on it, so it wasn't pefect but it was nice. I didn't want to tear into it since everything else was pretty original so I bought that 89 to convert to a TT quad. Had to sell one to buy another.:)

pinitatv
02-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I shipped a quad from WI to WA about a year ago for around 600 through FREIGHTCENTER.com

DoonRider
02-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Number22
Cool, I would definitely appreciate it. If you could email me (smlhrrs@aol.com) his contact info, that would be great.

Thanks,

Sam
Sent you the contact info. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Number22
02-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by DoonRider
Sent you the contact info. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Thanks DoonRider, as well as to everyone else. I think I've found my cheapest option and am looking forward to my new R!