PDA

View Full Version : Front Suspension woes

PDS00
01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm setting the toe in on the front wheels. I can get them set up ok but when the front end compresses, the wheels turn out. If the toe in is adjusted when the suspension is compressed the wheels turn into themselves and creates a even worse problem on take off. What is my problem?

I bought this bike used so I have no history on it. I replaced both the tie rod ends and ball joints. The old parts seemed to match up to the new ones in size so I don't know what else I changed or needs to be changed. Thanks

witech
01-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Are the tie rods on the wrong side of the spindle?

PDS00
01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. the rods are on the backside of the spindle and everything looks like the picture in the book. one of the rods is a little bent but i don't think its enough to throw it this far out of adjustment. i think theres more going on here than I'm looking at. Maybe a bent frame with a kink in the a arms and a small bend in the rods. just my luck.

axellmusic19
02-03-2012, 03:08 PM
My Laeger setup toes in when I have the suspension uncompressed. It has to do with how much caster there is and where the pivots are in the knucles. Best way to help that is find the average ride height for your style of riding and adjust the toe there. I am curious to know of any thing that can be done to rid the problem. I have seen some cool t-pin setups etc but do not know the effects of these on geometry. I will do some more research and let you know if I find anything.

fearlessfred
02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
what witech is talking about is weather or not the ball joints are on the top or bottom of spindle arm. if there on the wrong side ( i dont remember if there suppose to be on the top or bottom) it will increase bump steer big time

f150dan
03-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure if they are supposed to be on top or bottom either, but the main thing though is to make sure they are as parallel as possible with the A-arms. That will help reduce bump steer alot.

Get what I'm saying? Make sure they are as close to the same angle of the arms.