PDA

View Full Version : 440 kit

Choppers
01-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Anyone have any experience with these kits? Are they good?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-TRX400EX-400EX-JE-440CC-BIG-BORE-CYLINDER-KIT-/290630249021?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5980146131907965254

CJM
01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Several here I believe have used them. Biggest thing you need to do is install heavy duty head studs from GT Thunder. Or else it can and will eventually fail.

Also I want to note that you must make sure your jetting is good! If its not and runs lean it will blow up.

Stickman400
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Looks pretty good to me. JE and Wiseco is what everyone on here recommends for pistons, and it has the Cometic MLS gasket kit that everyone recommends. I'm wondering what kind of sleeve it is but it looks pretty legit to me.

Choppers
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I have a JE 11:1 piston in mine now. I wanna back down to 10:8:1 like this kit is. Here in Florida we already run hotter and I get detonation from time to time on 93 pump. So I figure going down will help me out. And yea I planned to send it off to get GT Thunder heads studs put in by them.

I think it said it was a LA sleeve in them.

PS: I already have the SPAL fan puller on my oil cooler so I do have some cooling extras already. Jetting isn't a problem at all.

CJM
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
10.8 isnt going to be much less. You need a 10:1 or 10.5:1 and run a larger oil cooler or oil tank as well.

frogburner
01-30-2012, 05:48 PM
If you build your 440 right it will have a bunch and I mean a bunch of power, and it will be reliable. I run a unlimited rev box and thought for sure it would be blown up by now, but still runs great. Make sure you do all oversized studs in your motor, and have fun with your project.

Choppers
01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm not totally sold on this kit until I really hear more about the cyclinder. I know the gaskets and piston are fine. Just worried about having a crappy cylinder.

Stickman400
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
It just looks like a stock cylinder with an L.A. Sleeve 440 sleeve in it. Not a whole lot of things that could be wrong with it. L.A. Sleeve is just about the best in the business when it comes to sleeves for atv or dirtbike engines, or any engine for that matter.

JOHNDOE83
01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Heavy duty studs are a good idea for any build really, some people would say Im lucky considering that I have valves, cam, 440 kit, 450r carb and more, yet I never got HD studs or use a bigger oil cooler and rarely use a fan, and never had a heat issue

Ive had this motor over 5 years, drag raced it and rode in hot temps for long hours with open filters and no airbox If it were gonna bust something, it would have happend by now.

I think and know from my own experience that the torque specs on these bolts are way to high. Thats why the bolts strip and break when your trying to rebuild your motor and they can stretch when you re-tighten everything to factory torque specs. I always go by my own knowledge when torquing down motor bolts and never had any issues.

From the factory these bolts are new and can easily take the torque applied when initially being installed, once they heat up, cool down and get un-installed, re-installed or torqued back down they fail, which can lead to leaky gaskets and stretched studs.

HD studs arent needed but will make your life alot easier later on down the road, its also nice to know that they are there.

Which part of FL are you from?

Choppers
01-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Heavy duty studs are a good idea for any build really, some people would say Im lucky considering that I have valves, cam, 440 kit, 450r carb and more, yet I never got HD studs or use a bigger oil cooler and rarely use a fan, and never had a heat issue

Ive had this motor over 5 years, drag raced it and rode in hot temps for long hours with open filters and no airbox If it were gonna bust something, it would have happend by now.

I think and know from my own experience that the torque specs on these bolts are way to high. Thats why the bolts strip and break when your trying to rebuild your motor and they can stretch when you re-tighten everything to factory torque specs. I always go by my own knowledge when torquing down motor bolts and never had any issues.

From the factory these bolts are new and can easily take the torque applied when initially being installed, once they heat up, cool down and get un-installed, re-installed or torqued back down they fail, which can lead to leaky gaskets and stretched studs.

HD studs arent needed but will make your life alot easier later on down the road, its also nice to know that they are there.

Which part of FL are you from?

I'm from Jacksonville, Florida.

And yea. beinga mechanic your always suppose to use new head bolts when changing heads or gaskets unless they are ARP or ARP studs. Was surprised more don't get new bolts.