PDA

View Full Version : Yz/ex Conversion

oj250r
03-02-2003, 03:50 AM
CAN SOMEBODY POST PICS OF A YZ/EX CONVERSION FOR ME WITHOUT PLASTICS SO I CAN SEE WHAT ALL IT REALLY NEEDS????LIKE I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT NEEDS A BIG OIL TANK.....I KNOW WHY IT NEEDS A BIGGER RADIATOR BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND THE OIL TANK.....CAN EVERYBODY THAT HAS PICS OF A YZ/EX CONVERSION POST THEM FOR ME SO I CAN SEE WHAT IM WORKIN WITH HERE.....MXBUBS,,,,BREAK IT DOWN FOR ME PLEASE...CAUSE FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN ALREADY FOR IT TO GO IN THE FRAME AND SET RIGHT IS THE SWING ARM BOLT AND THE FRONT TWO MOTOR MOUNTS.....IS THAT IT OR IS THERE MORE???IF THERE IS CAN SOMEBODY POST PICS OF WHERE THE OTHER MOUNTS ARE AND OTHER STUFF THAT IT NEEDS.....AND HOW TO MOUNT HE RADIATOR AND OIL TANK(WHY DOES IT NEED ONE)....THANKS:confused: :huh :confused: :huh :confused: :huh :confused: :huh

warrior86
03-02-2003, 04:30 AM
You don't need a real big oil tank. On my yz/ex conversion i just used a stock 400ex oil rezzy.

OutlawEX
03-02-2003, 06:34 AM
:blah

OutlawEX
03-02-2003, 06:36 AM
You will also need to do something with the exhaust..I got the differnt oil tank so that i can fit the oversized radiator in the frame without cutting stuff..Here is a buds

OutlawEX
03-02-2003, 06:37 AM

OutlawEX
03-02-2003, 06:41 AM

OutlawEX
03-02-2003, 06:43 AM
i hope theses help:blah

oj250r
03-02-2003, 04:51 PM
where did you get the oil tank and front motor mounts????but still from what im seeing is that all you need is the front motor mount and swing arm bolt??i see that you welded some stuff on the frame so that the oil tank and radiator will got on easy....where did you get that stuff????and do you have to use the the pro AC propegs with it or can you use the reagular propegs??

OutlawEX
03-02-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by oj250r
where did you get the oil tank and front motor mounts????but still from what im seeing is that all you need is the front motor mount and swing arm bolt??i see that you welded some stuff on the frame so that the oil tank and radiator will got on easy....where did you get that stuff????and do you have to use the the pro AC propegs with it or can you use the reagular propegs??

CFM is making me a oil tank right now..Knk also makes one...I can get you the front motor mounts...If ur gonna build a YZF and dont want to cut ur frame go the route i did which was get the over sized radiator..Also the oversized radiator will not fit with ur exhaust and stuff witht the stock tank..Yes u can use the propegs

oj250r
03-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
..Also the oversized radiator will not fit with ur exhaust and stuff witht the stock tank..

then what do i do???:confused:

oj250r
03-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
CFM is making me a oil tank right now..Knk also makes one...I can get you the front motor mounts...

whats the website for the CFM oil tank???

ill prolly get the front motor mounts from you to....

OutlawEX
03-03-2003, 01:22 AM
They are getting their site developed i dont know what it is try www.CFMperformance.com..You can contact neal by going to Ebay and search the 400ex ads and then look for CFM parts and then email him by that way...tell him Outlawex sent ya and he will hoook ya up..Also by getting this oil tank everything fits without cutting and stuff..Most guys cut the frame rails and place them up and down..In my opion it seems like it wouldnt be as strong as the stock set up..I have not cut one thing off my frame yet and dont plan to..

oj250r
03-03-2003, 01:50 AM
but with a bigger radiator stuff wont work you said... so what do i do?????

forum
03-03-2003, 04:55 PM
ok. you need to buy a pipe from adam sick for 450. YOu need to cut out the stock bottom motor mounts and make your own. YOu also have to build your own headstay. the front motor mounts you can build to or buy from adam or outlaw. THe oil tank you can build yourself like i did or have kandk build one. I personaly moved the frame rails, because i think its a better way out but you don't have to. Again you can't use a stock 250r rad. its not big enuff. The walsh rad witch is what outlaw is using is the one you have to use if you don't want to cut your frame. My rad is absolutley huge. Its a jrd 250r double thick core rad. And theres no way it would have fit without cutting my frame. plus my oil tank holds over 3 litres. Again cutting your frame is up to you. I personaly think changeing your uprights would be stronger but thats just mee. I could be wrong.

250rmike
03-03-2003, 07:05 PM
hey guys with the radiator thing why dont you guys just put the stock yzf radiators in i think it would be easier to mount 2 little radiator then trying to cut the frame and fit a 250r radiator in? just a thought

forum
03-03-2003, 08:21 PM
there is no logical way to put the yz rads on the ex frame. and when in a the ex frame the motor tends to run hotter therefore a larger rad should be used

oj250r
03-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by forum
ok. you need to buy a pipe from adam sick for 450. YOu need to cut out the stock bottom motor mounts and make your own. YOu also have to build your own headstay. the front motor mounts you can build to or buy from adam or outlaw. THe oil tank you can build yourself like i did or have kandk build one. I personaly moved the frame rails, because i think its a better way out but you don't have to. Again you can't use a stock 250r rad. its not big enuff. The walsh rad witch is what outlaw is using is the one you have to use if you don't want to cut your frame. My rad is absolutley huge. Its a jrd 250r double thick core rad. And theres no way it would have fit without cutting my frame. plus my oil tank holds over 3 litres. Again cutting your frame is up to you. I personaly think changeing your uprights would be stronger but thats just mee. I could be wrong.

who is adam???
cut what stock motor mounts???
how do i make a headstay mount or can i just buy one off somebody??
how much does the rad. from walsh cost and how much is a oil tank?
and what kind of pipe does adam make?

OutlawEX
03-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Like Fourm said the stock 250R one is not enough to keep that motor cool..What u asked was y dont we use the stock radiaotrs that come with it,well its because the 2 stock rads =a stock R radiator coolant...Ur putting a motor that is designed for a 250LB bike into a 380lb quad which increases more hp to get it up in going so that means more friction=more heat=needs better coolant supplies...

Mxbubs
03-07-2003, 01:36 AM
Excellent input guys....

Its really personal preference..

We all agree on one thing OJ, more oil and water does not hurt.

If I had to do it all over again, I would use a stock 400ex oil rezzy, or a bigger aftermarket one if it would fit, and mount it behind my radiator standing strait up and down.

You can use a big radiator, and you can use the stock 400ex rezzy like this if you cut and stand the frame rails straight up, IF your head pipe you are using allows you too.

The stock head pipe comes out way too far, and way too down, it just takes up alot of room.

So, I HIGHLY suggest purchasing the pipe from Adam Sick (Sickman80@hotmail.com) because it not only rocks, it takes up less space.

You are correct, to set the motor, all you truly need is two motor mounting points. The one at the pivot bolt and the front bottom. Once you get it in place, you can weld the bottom center mount tabs in place. I took a long piece of all thread and stuck thru the bottom center hole, and put my mounts on the frame, with the all thread going thru the mount's holes I was fitting to the frame. This ensure's exact fit.

My headstay works great, did you see my pics? Click the link in my thread.

I have had TONS of negative speculation about hacking my frame, and the way I made my kicker extension. Many people speculated it would fail. However, I have rode 6 times, on MX tracks already. I took SOME hard hits on purpose, beating on the bike hard specifically in the whoops, just to see if my frame would hold up. So far so good. I even went as far as to crack and destroy, a durablue aftermarket rear hub. It ripped clean off the axle.

My kicker extension is NOT going to break. If it does, I will eat it, you can hold me to that.

Good luck, keep asking questions, its the only way to gain information in here.

Mxbubs
03-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Click on my link now in my sig.

I updated it to add a pic of my headstay, and the BK mod I highly suggest for the carb.

tdd6405
06-14-2003, 11:37 AM
i was gonna get a JRD 250r radiator.. you dont think it would fit with the cfm oil tank i got? i havent got to see one (JRD Rad) in person so i dunno how big it is??

Mxbubs
06-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Sure it will work. You putting it on a 400ex frame?

tdd6405
06-14-2003, 12:26 PM
yeah.. but i just dont want to cut the diagonal bar outa my frame.