PDA

View Full Version : Crooked front end

BeefySTi
01-29-2012, 02:48 PM
I have the quad listed in my signature. I didnt notice this when i bought the quad last year, but the front end is crooked. this is my first atv and i am not afraid to admit i am pretty green when it comes to this stuff. If you are looking at the quad from the front, the left tire has a negative camber and the right one is pretty neutral. If i measure the lower a-arm bolt heads to my garage floor, the left side is about 1/4 inch higher than the right. the bottom of the ball joints are about 1/2 inch off. i do know the quad was recked at some point because when i bought it, the font bumper was destroyed, but there is no visible damage to the frame or suspension that i can see. also, if i jack the quad up from under the frame, the left tire comes off the ground about 2 inches before the right one comes up. I am wondering what might have caused this and what can be done to fix it? is there any way to adjust camber angle? i can post pictures if needed. thanks in advance for any input.

CJM
01-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Cant adjust anything on the stock frontend besides toe in/out. Id adjust your 450r shocks to have no preload and see if it goes away, mine was the same way and I know my frontend was slightly tweaked. Took the preload off the shocks (they ride better too) and bingo it got about 95% better.

Either the frame or a-arms are bent.

450rJam
01-29-2012, 03:19 PM
turn off the gas,

stand the quad up on the rear tires and grab bar,

measure each side from where the a-arms mount to the frame to the ball joint bolts, from shock mounts to frame, from frame to spindles etc.

you will find out what is off (I'll guess one of the a-arms is bent or the spindle)

my daughters 400ex had the lower a-arm bolt bent after hitting a tree pretty hard and was same way

BeefySTi
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Cant adjust anything on the stock frontend besides toe in/out. Id adjust your 450r shocks to have no reload and see if it goes away, mine was the same way and I know my frontend was slightly tweaked. Took the preload off the shocks (they ride better too) and bingo it got about 95% better.

Either the frame or a-arms are bent.

The preload is as off as it can get...

CJM
01-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Then your frame or a-arms are bent. Id do as 450rJam suggested and measure the front and see what you come up with.

BeefySTi
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I did a quick and dirty measurement and the a-arms seems to be fine. I had some other things to do, but when i have some more time, i will really check it out thoroughly. thanks for the help guys