PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Oil at the bottom of Engine Casing

rockbrook
01-28-2012, 06:07 PM
I think i have a oil leak at the bottom of my Engine Casing, i think it only leaks noticeably after the bike's been sitting, Its been awhile since i've taken it out. Last time i rode it, it rode great i thought other when My buddy rode it he thought it was bogging down when going WOT.....I think i saw someone post something similar like this about the oil leak and said that if they made sure oil was topped off before riding then they would be good for the day, I want to know if thats fine cause i wanted to ride with my dad tomorrow...

Stickman400
01-28-2012, 06:43 PM
You're gunna just have to see where the oil is coming from to see if it's a big deal or not. Could be a loose bolt that just needs tightened, or it could be a gasket that needs replaced, can't tell until you look it over.

TheAwesomehonda
01-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Yeah if its not but u can ride some just make sure that its not leaking to fast (when the oil gets hot it will leak faster because its thinner) and that your oil level in the tank is good. It will evenually have to be located and fixed probobly by replacing a gasket.

rockbrook
01-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the input, my buddy (who rides a 700 Raptor) recently told me i should "sell this piece of S#@^" and go get this predator thats for sale for $1100 at the pawn shop, but i like the way the 400ex handles and how nimble it is. I think with the right mods i'll be able to keep up with him in the trails though

TheAwesomehonda
01-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by rockbrook
Thanks for the input, my buddy (who rides a 700 Raptor) recently told me i should "sell this piece of S#@^" and go get this predator thats for sale for $1100 at the pawn shop, but i like the way the 400ex handles and how nimble it is. I think with the right mods i'll be able to keep up with him in the trails though I'll never recomend polaris sport quads i'd get a :chinese: quad before i'd get a polaris but its up to u man. haha

dxcody
01-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Some advice,
Check both your Drain plugs. The one in the left side of the case, and the one under the oil cooler.

ALOT of times these can rattle loose.

My drain plug under under the oil cooler, unbolted almost half way and it wont leak very much from there when its running, but if it sat in one spot for more than like 6 hours there would be about a shotglass worth of oil on the floor.

Another thing is on the left side, where the wires go into the side of your case cover alot of times it leaks also just from wiggling around enough.

Just a thought.

rockbrook
01-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks alot dxcody, Im very new to this quad,speaking of polaris's I sold my 500 scrambler to get this bike lol.

DragonGunner
01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
If you locate the problem an its from a gasket leak in the middle cases, an you don't want to tear down an split your cases, just clean good an put a little JB Weld over the area.

Also check where your shifter is, sometimes they can leak through the seal an flow under.

rockbrook
01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
I thought about the jb weld idea, i'm 99percent it's a leak in the cases so I may give the jb weld a shot.

tbrackman84
02-01-2012, 11:33 PM
mine also has a slight oil leak from the shifter area believe it or not. I just check the oil every time i ride ie though and dont fix it :blah:

rockbrook
03-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by DragonGunner

Also check where your shifter is, sometimes they can leak through the seal an flow under.
Ok so i went out and looked it over the other day and this is where the oil was coming from, any easy ways to fix this?

Honda4life05
03-11-2012, 11:31 AM
There is a seal that goes aroudn the shifter, it needs replaced. very common