PDA

View Full Version : Trail riding mods for a Raptor 250

RNL
01-28-2012, 06:18 AM
I'm looking to make my womans Rappy a bit more stout for trailriding. The first mod I'm looking at is the obvious, a exhaust. I was looking at HMF sites and their Dyno. The slip on actually makes more lower end power. Has anyone done a slip on vs full exhaust on the 250? I was going to get a full exhaust, but after seeing that dyno I might just go with the skip on to keep some low end power and make it easier for her to ride. Anyone have any input?

hwf-racing
01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Full exhaust and Filter and jetting will be a great start! If it's for your women to ride, I would get shocks first. Women like that cushy ride:)) JMO. Good luck!!!

RNL
01-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Anyone ever mess with any different gearing?

nzraptor
02-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Frankly slip on's are a waste of money; sure they sound cooler but if you want to play with the exhaust and enhance the bike's performance it is full or nothing, however you will need to re jet. There are some well priced cams that will enhance any pipe. We tried the Vito with good reliable results, Hot Cams 2 also works really well. Cheap HP.

RNL
02-02-2012, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by nzraptor
Frankly slip on's are a waste of money; sure they sound cooler but if you want to play with the exhaust and enhance the bike's performance it is full or nothing, however you will need to re jet. There are some well priced cams that will enhance any pipe. We tried the Vito with good reliable results, Hot Cams 2 also works really well. Cheap HP.

What kind of results would I be looking at with a full exhaust and cam? A good healthy boost all around is what I want, not just top end power.

nzraptor
02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
This is a combo we have used, HMF full compition exhaust, Vito Dirt Racing Cam, FMF needle, 145 main, stock piston, compression & head. Results measured on a Dynojet dyno. Max H.P 19.75 @ 7600rpm, max torque 14.91 ft/lb @ 6200rpm. Torque @ 4000rpm was 13.0 ft/lb so a pretty flat curve. Hope this helps.

RNL
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by nzraptor
This is a combo we have used, HMF full compition exhaust, Vito Dirt Racing Cam, FMF needle, 145 main, stock piston, compression & head. Results measured on a Dynojet dyno. Max H.P 19.75 @ 7600rpm, max torque 14.91 ft/lb @ 6200rpm. Torque @ 4000rpm was 13.0 ft/lb so a pretty flat curve. Hope this helps.

So a pretty good gain thru the whole rpm range? sounds good.

yfzfelix
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I installed a Hot Cam 2 in a 250 Rap that had the GYTR exhaust and air filter and that little bumpstick really woke that quad up, you might look at that mod for the little woman

RNL
02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by yfzfelix
I installed a Hot Cam 2 in a 250 Rap that had the GYTR exhaust and air filter and that little bumpstick really woke that quad up, you might look at that mod for the little woman

I just dont want to mod it to where I'm losing the low end torque for top end power. I want a nice boost throughout for trailriding.

yfzfelix
02-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by RNL
I just dont want to mod it to where I'm losing the low end torque for top end power. I want a nice boost throughout for trailriding. there is a new Vitos cam on ebay for under $90 that says it has a broad power band, you might look into that bumpstick

RNL
02-14-2012, 06:33 AM
there is a new Vitos cam on ebay for under $90 that says it has a broad power band, you might look into that bumpstick

I'm looking into that cam, but I gotta ask what the hell is a bumpstick, lol??????????

yfzfelix
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by RNL
I'm looking into that cam, but I gotta ask what the hell is a bumpstick, lol?????????? bumpstick is a slang word for camshaft, not sure of your age but if you were in your late 40's or early 50's and a major gear head you would have probably heard that some time in your life, see you learned something new today !!! wohoo !!!! Steve

RNL
02-19-2012, 05:26 PM
bumpstick is a slang word for camshaft, not sure of your age but if you were in your late 40's or early 50's and a major gear head you would have probably heard that some time in your life, see you learned something new today !!! wohoo !!!! Steve

I'm 32, never heard of that lol.