PDA

View Full Version : Helmets: Fox Vs. Thor

Rohr397
01-27-2012, 10:10 PM
At some point in time I have owned both the top end Fox and Thor helmet. Recently in a nasty spill I ruined my Fox V3.

I also ruined a lot of other essentials , including three bones (one of which was the socket for my wrist joint). This has me temporarily out of work. I'll be able to get back to riding in a few weeks but because I'm a lifeguard I don't think I can pass the physical tests to get back to work that soon. Therefore I've gotta keep this thing low budget. I loved my Fox helmet, but my Thor helmet was good and I haven't tried the new Force 2 out. Also, the Thor is $100 or so cheaper which is big for me.

So here we go, this is not a popularity contest. I want to hear what people have to say about each, even better how the two compare. Most importantly, is the Fox V3 really worth the extra $100? Thanks!

01boneless
01-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I know its all about style and looking "rad" these days but whats wrong with a 100$ fly helmet? i mean any helmet is better than none and if your on a budget then save 200 compared to another and buy a cheap one on motosport or RMatv. But if you must chose i like thor ....

Rohr397
01-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Cause I had a $100 helmet and when I had a little get-off, it cracked, in half O.o

^point is I don't trust them and plus have you worn the expensive ones? It's like the best feeling on earth, I could sleep in them! And they have more vents which is nice for hot weather and desert riding all day.

01boneless
01-27-2012, 11:18 PM
^ well if you have to have a fox or thor keep checking for sales on moto and rmatv for some sales!!! and yea i had a expensive one think it was thor or HJC but they all feal the same to me.. sure maybe some more comfy than others but i am just saying if your on a budget to look around.... Also did u know when you crash once with your helmet your supposed to stop useing it? i dont ...but your are supposed to...

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
01-28-2012, 12:13 AM
Neither. Shoei. No further discussion required.

Rohr397
01-28-2012, 12:36 AM
I would go Shoei if I wasn't like $1000 in the hole and I'm working my first part time job with not so great paychecks. Not to mention gas money for my hog of a truck lol.

dxcody
01-28-2012, 06:57 AM
A helmet is not something you want to go short on. BUT Price doesnt mean better.

A Fly LX Relic is a top of the line helmet, one of the only helmets that is SNELL, DOT, and ECE approved.

Carbon Fiber and Kevlar shell, closeable air vents.

FLY has several top riders in the WORLD, that trust their careers on this helmet.

and its only around $250.

If your going to buy Thor or Fox IMO your paying and extra $100 just for the name. But if you insist on getting one, go V3. I have a v2 and its awesome. So the v3 must be pretty sick.

Fulmer isnt a bad brand either!

Just my opinion.

HondaRacing83
01-28-2012, 08:41 AM
Arai. No further discussion.

But in all seriousness, I've been riding with an AFX helment i paid like $60 for at the local dealership a few years ago when i had my 250 and I love that thing. It's been a great helmet, has vents, fits great and comfy as hell. Its resently starting to get a little small. I'm either going to buy a Fly Kinetic, A Thor Quadrant Helmet or the like $90 EVS helmet. If I seriously had like $600 to blow on a helmet, sure I'd buy an Arai. but thats like a CSR pipe for my 400 :O

djeurink
01-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I googled fox v3 and found a store that had last years helmets about half off.

Rohr397
01-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I did really love my Fox V3. And my Thor was also great. I know there's plenty of options out there but I've really narrowed it down to both price and personal preference, I'm really picky about how a helmet fits and feels.

wolfe 21
01-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I got a closeout BELL helmet that I'm using. Never like to pay extra for a name, unless it has the quality to demand the premium. Why I buy rugers instead of colts, but that's another forum. Anyway, RMATV usually has some pretty good clearance deals on last years models this time of year. Might wanna check it out.

racer36
01-28-2012, 02:22 PM
fly helmets are among the best and are cheaper. id check them out

Rohr397
01-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys but really I just want opinions on the Thor and Fox. I'm not looking at any others...

sangheraent
01-28-2012, 08:56 PM
I have a V3, V2, a $30 shift helmet, 2012 Oneal 5 series.

I wouldn't say that my V3 is anything spectacular compared to the others. The expensiver the helmet the more stuff comes with it and the easier it is to take padding off for washing.

I can't honestly say that I would spend $300+ on a helmet again.

One thing I have heard a few times is that all helmets come from the same factory and that one or two companies are the only ones that make their own. I cant remember exactly which ones (i think arai and shoei but thats just my guess).

I have 6 or 7 helmets between me and my woman and all of the boxes look suspiciously similar to each other.

arTuReX
01-29-2012, 01:59 PM
go with any that has Snell Certification!, i seen a lot of 100$ that has no snell! is safer that way!

rf928
01-29-2012, 07:04 PM
I have the V3, and I love it. The comfort factor is next to nothing. It was the only helmet that truly fit my whole head (that we tried on).

I tried on the thor, and it seemed to not fit as well. But its your choice! I say go with fox

wolfe 21
01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Check RMATV, they've got some V2's & V3's clearance priced right now. Long as you aint picky about graphics, you can get your lid about 1/2 price.

James.

fastredrider44
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
I too bought a clearance V3. Great helmets in my opinion and lightweight.