PDA

View Full Version : 450r carb help

TheAwesomehonda
01-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Ok so i'm installing a 450r carb on my 05 400ex first of all this is a 05 or 04 carb. Ok first question is what jets i should be running in it my mods r k&N filter with no lid and prefilter, hmf comp series exhaust largest baffle, stage 2 hot cam. The motor is stock other then the cam and in the stock carb i had 190 main and 42 pilot and not sure of the a/f i never had to move it. So i've got a 180 main and 48 pilot in the 450r carb (didn't check needle or a/f) and it idles ok once warm but when i rev it and let off it will stall unless if feather the trottle to get it to idle but then once i get it to idle it will ok until i rev it again. please comment with your siggestions? Also i would like to see pics or explainations of how u have your chokes on the 450r carb not hitting the petcock?

Baileygunns
01-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Go with 2.5 out on the fuel screw and middle clip on the needle. That should have you at least running and close.. Clean the carb if you haven't already, my guess is you haven't or you would know what the needle and fuel screw are at... Take the choke lever off, you won't need it when set up correct.

DragonGunner
01-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Sounds like running to rich...your main looks ok an slow jet seems ok, I would turn your air mixture screw in...2.5 turns out is about right, but see how it does there an keep turning it in 1/2 turn at a time until it works, this should lean it up an stop the carb from flooding out...if it starts backfiring then you know the air mixture screw is to leaning it too much...I guessing 1 to 1.5 turns out should help.

TheAwesomehonda
01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Ok i'll try the above^^ and post the results and @Baileygunns i live in wisconsin and i rid in the winter so i'm not sure it will start with no choke.

Baileygunns
01-27-2012, 09:50 AM
I live in New Hampshire and ride in winter too... The carb I just did was running a 48 pilot and 180 main. The only difrence is this bike has some head porting which some times lets you get away with a little smaller jet because of the vacuum differences. We were out in 30 degree temps theast time we rode and didn't use a choke. If you take the lever off you can still reach the plunger if you take the seat off. You should be able to pump the throttle a couple times then hit the start button and it should start with no choke. I saw a picture some where with a piece of wire bent into a little make shift lever so you can reach it but the stock lever won't work.

Also... Did you put the hotstart plunger in the carb and is your idle adjust properly too? It sounds lean on the pilot cuircit to me because you say you have to feather the throttle to keep it running... Air leaks and dirty carbs/jets are common reasons for this problem.

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
if it revs and stalls its to lean, or your idle is set to low.

TheAwesomehonda
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
I live in New Hampshire and ride in winter too... The carb I just did was running a 48 pilot and 180 main. The only difrence is this bike has some head porting which some times lets you get away with a little smaller jet because of the vacuum differences. We were out in 30 degree temps theast time we rode and didn't use a choke. If you take the lever off you can still reach the plunger if you take the seat off. You should be able to pump the throttle a couple times then hit the start button and it should start with no choke. I saw a picture some where with a piece of wire bent into a little make shift lever so you can reach it but the stock lever won't work.

Also... Did you put the hotstart plunger in the carb and is your idle adjust properly too? It sounds lean on the pilot cuircit to me because you say you have to feather the throttle to keep it running... Air leaks and dirty carbs/jets are common reasons for this problem. Ok on your questions i have a 1.25 thread bolt in the hot start hole so it should be pluged good and i have adjusted my idle alot so it will idle properly. Just to clean it up its olny after i rev it that i need to feather to get it to not stall but then it will idle after that.

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I would take the bolt out of the hotstart and plug it with RTV, theres another hole inside the carb port that needs to be pluged also.

turn your A/F screw all the way in, and turn it out to 3 turns and see if that helps at all?

TheAwesomehonda
01-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
I would take the bolt out of the hotstart and plug it with RTV, theres another hole inside the carb port that needs to be pluged also.

turn your A/F screw all the way in, and turn it out to 3 turns and see if that helps at all? Ok how much should i use of the rvt and then should i reinstall the bolt??

Baileygunns
01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Your issue is that bolt... You have to put the hotstart plunger in it. Don't rtv the hole, go get the hotstart plunger from the dealer.

You're running lean because the bolt isn't stopping the air flow through the hotstart chamber.

Number 8 in this picture
http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2005/TRX450R-%28KICK-START%29/CARBURETOR-%28'04%2C'05%29

TheAwesomehonda
01-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Ok i'll adjust the a/f screw some and if that don't work i'll get the hot start plug.

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2012, 03:07 PM
You dont need to waste money on a hotstart plunger, mine runs perfectly fine with RTV.

TheAwesomehonda
01-27-2012, 03:09 PM
You dont need to waste money on a hotstart plunger, mine runs perfectly fine with RTV. So u just filled the hole with rvt and didn't put a bolt in it or anything?

JOHNDOE83
01-27-2012, 03:15 PM
yes, I completely filled the entire hole with rtv.

but first you should fill the lil hole in the carb portbefore you fill the big hole that you have the bolt in.

TheAwesomehonda
01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
yes, I completely filled the entire hole with rtv.

but first you should fill the lil hole in the carb portbefore you fill the big hole that you have the bolt in. Oh so its don't come out there and mess up the inside of the carb got it and theres a hole that is on the air box side and a hole thats on the motor side that r connected to that hot start system right?

Pipeless416
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
Oh so its don't come out there and mess up the inside of the carb got it and theres a hole that is on the air box side and a hole thats on the motor side that r connected to that hot start system right?

:huh

TheAwesomehonda
01-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
:huh :huh :huh what is the huh about.. I'm saying that the hot start system is connected to holes on the bore of the carb (thats the inside where the air goes thought) and if i put rvt in the hot start hole it will uz thought the little pipes and go in the bore then in the motor (if it isn't hardened yet) does that clear it up.:huh

TheAwesomehonda
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Ok got the 450r carb done today and tried it out what i did is leave the bolt in the hot start hole and no rvt or anything. I turned my a/f screw from 1 1/2 turns to 3 turns and then it would run better so i got it ready to ride. So i got out riping and noticed it bogs some coming out of turns on the gas from low rpm i'm guessing thats to rich? also when it idles for a little bit it seems to loose rpm and would stall if it idled to long. I'm going to see if i can cold start it tomorrow without the choke working and i'll tell use how it goes. But tell me your suggestions on my problems above?

JOHNDOE83
01-29-2012, 07:08 AM
The hot start is actually seperate from all other components in the carb, its a big hole that has a tiny lil hole on the top side of the carb port that goes into the motor.

All a hotstart is = a rubber grommet, spring, and a rubber plunger with a cable attached.

All it does is plug that tiny hole inside the carb port, when its opened it allows more air to lean out the fuel/air mix when starting after accidents, stalling and flooding.

When the hot start pieces are used you still RTV the hole in the top of the hot start where the cable normally goes.

In reality whether you use RTV only or the actual hotstart, its still sealed either way. I prefer to have a actual full on seal that can never be broken "completely filled with liquid gasket" which IS better then any rubber spring with a lil bit of sealer on top.

I would atleast use rtv on the bolt threads if your goona just use the bolt, also fill the lil hole inside the carb port, its on the top side of the carb port just under where the hotstart is. Id fill that and let it dry before you continue trying to tune your quad.

The bogging could be that its a lil rich, it could mean that its still lean, my deffinition of bogging and someone elses could be to different things so its hard for me to say what it actually is.

Check out www.jetsrus.com go to the FAQs section and read up on how to jet properly and read the causes and symptoms of lean and rich jetting, then youll have a better understanding of the way it works and it will be better for asking questions in the future.

It could be stalling at idle because its to rich and fouling the plug, it could be to lean also, its just to hard to say without actually being there.

TheAwesomehonda
01-29-2012, 10:27 AM
The hot start is actually seperate from all other components in the carb, its a big hole that has a tiny lil hole on the top side of the carb port that goes into the motor.

All a hotstart is = a rubber grommet, spring, and a rubber plunger with a cable attached.

All it does is plug that tiny hole inside the carb port, when its opened it allows more air to lean out the fuel/air mix when starting after accidents, stalling and flooding.

When the hot start pieces are used you still RTV the hole in the top of the hot start where the cable normally goes.

In reality whether you use RTV only or the actual hotstart, its still sealed either way. I prefer to have a actual full on seal that can never be broken "completely filled with liquid gasket" which IS better then any rubber spring with a lil bit of sealer on top.

I would atleast use rtv on the bolt threads if your goona just use the bolt, also fill the lil hole inside the carb port, its on the top side of the carb port just under where the hotstart is. Id fill that and let it dry before you continue trying to tune your quad.

The bogging could be that its a lil rich, it could mean that its still lean, my deffinition of bogging and someone elses could be to different things so its hard for me to say what it actually is.

Check out www.jetsrus.com go to the FAQs section and read up on how to jet properly and read the causes and symptoms of lean and rich jetting, then youll have a better understanding of the way it works and it will be better for asking questions in the future.

It could be stalling at idle because its to rich and fouling the plug, it could be to lean also, its just to hard to say without actually being there. Thanks man i'll be fallowing jetsrus jetting procedure and hopefully get it right with out buying to many jets or taking my carb off to many times haha