PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a banshee

B.Rich108
01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
What's going on guys? As of right now, I have a 2007 400ex with a stock motor. A guy is looking to trade me his 2006 Banshee. I am not very familiar with 2 strokes or banshees but I have always wanted one. But before I go with the trade, I wanted to learn a little more about them. What kind of maintnence do these bikes require? What red flags should I be looking for when I'm checking this bike out? What would a stock banshee sell for, roughly. (I know it depends where ya live and what they go for in your area) But a general number. Thanks for the help guys.

HondaPohl
01-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Hopefully since its a 2006 its not whooped to bad. Couple things i look at. Plastics, how tight is the quad meaning bushings, steering, swingarm, etc. When a Banshee is pretty much still in stock form, maintenance is more less just keeping your air filter clean and just other general maint. Stock shees can go years without rebuilds or any major work. That being said, worked banshee to me need alil more attention. Im always paying attention to jetting, plug color, smoke, temp. All it takes is a lean conditon for a little bit and you can ruin a motor imo. When i look at buying a banshee, right off the bat i figure in a topend rebuild. I would at least check the compression. Even if you just put your finger over the hole and kick it over on both sides just to make sure it has good compression. If the body and chasis is in good condition, u can expect that it wasnt beaten to death and it would be a good trade. Good luck! I love banshees BTW!

Muggzy
01-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Here's somewhat of a how-to/check list...

As with any quad;
Frame
1) Check the frame thoroughly for bends or repair welds that don't belong. On the Banshee, particularly around the rear seat mount where the pipes mount to the frame and around the foot pegs.

Put it up on a box or crate to get the wheels off the ground then check:
2) pivot bearing for wear (swing arm movement side to side.)
3) carrier bearings for wear (axle tilt side to side)
4) sprocket/brake hubs tight on the splines (no rotation forward or back relative to the axle)
5) Ball joints and a-arm bushings on the front - no free play

Engine
6) Compression check - dependent on altitude. But the difference between cylinders shouldn't be more than a pound or two. Check the table at the bottom of this page: NosMachine Banshee Heads (http://www.nossmachine.com/banshee_heads.htm)
Granted these are #s. for fresh bores so it's a point of reference only.
7) Check intake boots between carbs and engine for signs of drying/cracking
8) Starts and runs smoothly through all 6 gears. Banshees are typically difficult to get into neutral while the engine is running. I find it easier on mine to do it from 2nd gear.
9) Engine case whack around the front sprocket
10) if there's a skid plate, you'll wanna see if the engine case underneath it's ever been cracked and JB Welded or anything.

11) lights and electrical; look at the harness to see if it's frayed or hacked up.

If anyone can think of anything i forgot to add, by all means chime in.

Hondapol's point about looking at the overall condition is a good one too. If it's been well maintained in general, that's always a good sign.

TWILES
02-17-2012, 08:42 PM
I trashed on from over-riding it so I have some ideas too.

1- stand up on the pegs and look down the front shocks. If they don't look like a mirror image on each side, the frame is bent. The weakest part of the frame is the open part where the head pipes are. That gives pretty easy.

1.5 Air box. A clean air filter is the #1 thing to look at when it comes to the motor before you ever start it. If its the stock filter and cage, see if the foam seal ring is still attatched to the cage. Ask when they last glued it back on. I promise they have had to. The stock foam filter is as good if not better than any but the seal is what matters.

2- If the shocks squeak, it has set for long periods and wasn't wd-40'd. Not a big deal but something I consider

3- Next is the motor and the dude before me hit on that.

4- Chain. Thats a good give-a-way of whether they really paid attention to the bike or not. If its non o-ring, ask what kind of chain it is. If its not a Tsubaki, I'd be nervous

4.5- rough cables. Again, these won't feel rough if they "loved" their bike like they are probably telling you they did.

Beyond that, use your head. Those are the banshee specific things that I would consider.