PDA

View Full Version : YFZ 450R or LTR 450

triplej90
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Looking to buy a new racing quad and I would like to have you guys opinion on if I should get a LTR or a YFZ and the pros and cons! Thanks!

TheAwesomehonda
01-26-2012, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by triplej90
Looking to buy a new racing quad and I would like to have you guys opinion on if I should get a LTR or a YFZ and the pros and cons! Thanks! HONDA for sure oh wait that wasn't a option lol jk. eather u will be faster then what i got.

Kovatch
01-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Both are fairly comparable to each other. FI, wide, good power with $1000 worth of "Big 3" mods, wide seat where you butt is (very nice), & strong motors.

The LTR handles better than the YFZR b/c of the caster issue up front. LTR spindles are so good every Honda in the Pro-Am/Pro class runs LTR spindles.

I have the YFZR and like it a lot. The width is fine at 48.8" but the LTR is a little wider. If you have your ride height adjusted, lean a little, and you will be fine.

I believe the LTRs had an issue with the transmissions, say 3rd or 4th gear was weak or known to break.

Given Suzuki has stopped making the LTR, my speculation is you may run into an issue with getting parts at some point. I think the Zukes have more electronics to mess with. The wiring harness is bulking on there is zero room to cut/splice wires.

I like my YFZR a lot. It's comfy and has power. Be sure to change the oil. Many con rod bearings have been known to fry in the YFZR and I believe Yamaha have come out with a new superceded part for the crank. I blew mine and a few others, but I didn't maintain mine at that time.

I can holeshot quads, but I have lost to some too. You might be able to pick up a YFZR for $5-6K. Long winded, sorry.