PDA

View Full Version : the Top 10 Race Weekend Killers (DNFs!)

EthansDad
01-26-2012, 07:40 AM
While prep'ing our bike for next year, I think back to all the DNFs we had in the past due to something mechanical, or the type of break downs I see most often on these minis at the track. Thought I'd put together a top 10 list of the "most common break-down DNF issues". I'm sure others will have some to add or change up.

disclaimer - this is not a knock on any brand of mini - any bike taken to the level we ride is going to have something break....

#1 - worn out spring - bogged out
#2 - broke axle
#3 - thrown chain
#4 - blown top end
#5 - broke frame
#6 - fouled plug / too rich
#7 - Other CVT failure - belt, melted rollers, etc
#8 - Kill Switch Failure
#9 - air leak / too lean - see #4...
#10 - exhaust pipe bolts backed out

how to (try) to avoid...
1 -keep it fresh! $20 is nothing compared to a DNF

2 - keep the axle nuts tight, and watch for bend in axle. keep a spare, change when first see bend. replace OEM axle with aftermaket if your class allows.

3 - proper tensioner position, quality chain, and keep your frame straight!

4 -keep it fresh! 3-4 races on a top end is a lot. carry a spare top end complete and freshen the top end every 3-4 races

5 - pre-season work is what saves you - go the extra mile on frame reinforcement - a few extra Lbs is nothing on these minis, and the frame needs all the love you can give it

6 - keep an eye on weather conditions - rain, storm fronts, etc can make your perfect AM jetting run like crap in the PM.

7 - keep it fresh, and know the limits (in terms of laps, or how hard you can drive it) - pre-season ride until failure so you know what holds up and what doesn't.

8 - they all die. Keep a spare! - look for the motor running on a bit when you take the tether off - that is first sign - replace!

9 - listen to your bike! air leaks happen, and cause a fast idle, or when you blip the throttle, the rpms are very slow to return to idle. find/fix air leak or #4 is about to happen to you.

10 - what it says, its very common. loctite and still check them every moto. same for the silencer core - those pop out a lot too.

edwardsp&b
01-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Hey Eric, how about showing up to a Nat. race and forgetting the gear bag, boots, helmet at the house. I know someone thats done that before do you?LOL
Bryan

EthansDad
01-26-2012, 08:23 AM
hahah, and there is #11 ---guilty as charged! forgot his boots again last race weekend (at DP) and remembered when we were only 20 miles away from the house. love making a U-turn in the RV for a 40 mile detour to pick up forgotten stuff!!!

nastynotchback1
01-26-2012, 08:28 AM
thats why i keep a complete set of extra gear in the trailer at all times.Just remember that if your racing somewhere with us.Anyone is always welcome to use anything i got.