PDA

View Full Version : Places to ride in MD and VA

River Hill
03-02-2003, 01:32 AM
I am looking to purchase a 400 for myself and a 50 for my son who is going to be 7. Before I make these purchases I am looking for a place to ride and a place where I can teach him. I live in Westminster, MD and have a small weekend place near Lake Anna in Va. If anyone has any suggestions or tips for me I would greatly appreciate it. I rode when I was younger and want my son to expererice this for himself. I grew up in Calverton and we had a place to ride called the PITS off of Briggs Chaney Road. I never relized how blessed I was to have this place in my backyard. My house was just 2 blocks from 3 of the entrances. It is now a Golf Course. I use to ride there in the 70's and 80's. Thanks again and I look forward to learning more about the 400's.

Pappy
03-02-2003, 01:44 AM
welcome to the site!!!

i live in westminster also...unfortunatley there are no public places to ride close by. rausch creek and tower city are 2 hours north of us.....breezwood proving grounds is 2 hours west...the landing mx is 2 hours south east in easton md.:(

4punks is a moderator here and has rides almost every sunday on his vast trail system...its a blast!!! he lives in front royal va

River Hill
03-02-2003, 12:53 PM
Thank you for the welcome and the information you provided. Even though those places are two hours from here I will have to check them out. I heard there was a place in Thurmont, that a farmer has setup and you can pay him to ride, but I don't know much more than that.

Are the trails in Front Royal public or is this a place that 4punks owns?

Also I know Honda does not make a 50cc ATV, but if anyone could recommend a brand I would appreciate it.

Pappy
03-02-2003, 01:21 PM
the place in thurmont is ok. its really not controlled and a bit dangerous to take a younger rider. i took my son there twice and we left early on both occasions....but its a place to ride so i geuss its not all bad:p

im buying a LT50 suzuki for my 4 year old next month....we have the LT 80 for our ( year old and love it:D there are some new ones on the market but i dont have expierence with them so i cant comment:)

12gofast
03-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Come check out Tomahawk MX....we have 125 acres in which we have built a Motocross and a cross country course.

We will soon be adding a youth MX track

We will be open nearly every weekend starting around April

The track is located in Hedgesville, WV....just off interstate 81 about 15-20 minutes south of Hagerstown MD

www.tomahawkmx.com

River Hill
03-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Has anyone had experience with Green Ridge? If so can you give me some details? Thanks.

not2hi
03-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Hey! we used to take our trucks to the gravel pits at Briggs Chaney all the time. what a wonderful place to go, except for when the local PD would hand you a present as you left. We worked no too far away, and used to four-wheel at lunch time. Those were the days....

I'm not to far from you in Taylorsville, MD. Last spring we made a trip to the Southern MD ATV park (right next to Budds Creek, about 90 mins). It was a nice place with a full blown MX track and about 800 acres of trails. The county shut them down and they are trying to get back open soon, but it looks like the rates are gonna go sky-hi there to ride.

Keep us locals posted on what you find out...

Pappy
03-03-2003, 06:27 PM
most of the state parks allow riding...you have to call the ranger office at each park and ask if they are allowing riding that day and obtain a permit($5) then ride away:)

River Hill
03-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Pappy,

Could you tell us what state parks allow riding. If you can give me a few leads I will get on the phone and make some calls. By any chance do you know if Patapsaco allows riding?

Brian

Pappy
03-04-2003, 11:20 AM
naaa pat. state park is off limits. ill see if i can find the maryland state park websites and post them here for ya.

not2hi
03-04-2003, 12:00 PM
Try this site...

http://www.enduro.4t.com/riding.htm

or...

http://atving.freeservers.com/

03-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by River Hill
I am looking to purchase a 400 for myself and a 50 for my son who is going to be 7. Before I make these purchases I am looking for a place to ride and a place where I can teach him. I live in Westminster, MD and have a small weekend place near Lake Anna in Va. If anyone has any suggestions or tips for me I would greatly appreciate it.
I would consider checking out Towercitytrailriders...
we have a family oriented club here in Pa ..w/over 10,000 acres of riding area,campgrounds,small shop,activities etc ..my kids like the place for the most part,.. its rocks they dont like ,but it will teach em to ride w/alil more concern of the terrain...
check out the website www.towercitytrailriders.org

400EXrider#91
03-05-2003, 02:47 PM
i live in/very very close to thurmont and there is one almost right in fredrick/lewistown...it is nice but it could be better,the best time to go is spring when they redo it with the dozer...i go there very often like maybe ever 2 weekend but other than that theres pole lines all around that rangers don't care if you ride on and stuff there is i BIG farm in lewis town that in the fall/winter(now)
has almost 1,500 acres or ridable area...i know of some places

12gofast
03-05-2003, 10:21 PM
River.....did you check with Ridersville on purchasing a new quad

4punksdad
03-07-2003, 05:46 PM
4punks place is shut down..........no more riding.

AtvMxRider
03-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
4punks place is shut down..........no more riding.

How come Joe?

4punksdad
03-07-2003, 08:22 PM
just dont want to ruin a good thing. I have worked hard to blaze these trails and maintain them. not everyone respects them the same way I do.

AtvMxRider
03-07-2003, 08:46 PM
I hear ya Joe. I understand how it is when people don't take care of your riding area. We have had few spots closed around here because of *******s.