PDA

View Full Version : Court hearing questions

exrider12
01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Background info:

A few weeks ago my friend and I were leaving school. It was a friday before a long weekend and it was kinda nice out so we just wanted to get the hell outta there. I was going with traffic on the road along side our school and slowed down to honk at some kids I knew while my friend was yelling to them out the window. I then sped up to catch back up with the car in front of me. I look in my rear view and three cars back I see a cruiser with his lights on and I pull over thinking Im getting out of his way. He pulls up behind me and long story short I get a ticket for 40 mph in a 20mph when the street along side our school is a 35 so Im not sure why he wrote 20. I was also cited for failure to take care and excessive noise due to the honking. Note my horn is broken and isn't very loud. All in all $270 ticket.

This however is my first ticket and I requested a hearing. It is scheduled for Friday and Im honestly nervous. Im not sure what to do and how to present myself. My aunt works in the court system and said to "fall on my sword" and just go along with whatever the judge says and not to argue. But I feel like I should defend myself in some manner.

Any help or insight is appreciated

CJM
01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Chances are the cop was a dick, some just are.

Go there, explain the situation and see what they say. Its hardly worth hiring a lawyer.

Willing to bet they throw out everything but the speeding violation. However do ask if he clocked you on radar or laser and ask to see the records-no records how can he prove how fast you were going?

exrider12
01-24-2012, 08:15 PM
It was not clocked on radar. The ticket just said estimated. And yes his attitude was very poor. I understand Im only 18 but he talked to me like I was a piece of trash, very wise and smart *** like.

Chit
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by exrider12
Background info:

A few weeks ago my friend and I were leaving school. It was a friday before a long weekend and it was kinda nice out so we just wanted to get the hell outta there. I was going with traffic on the road along side our school and slowed down to honk at some kids I knew while my friend was yelling to them out the window. I then sped up to catch back up with the car in front of me. I look in my rear view and three cars back I see a cruiser with his lights on and I pull over thinking Im getting out of his way. He pulls up behind me and long story short I get a ticket for 40 mph in a 20mph when the street along side our school is a 35 so Im not sure why he wrote 20. I was also cited for failure to take care and excessive noise due to the honking. Note my horn is broken and isn't very loud. All in all $270 ticket.

This however is my first ticket and I requested a hearing. It is scheduled for Friday and Im honestly nervous. Im not sure what to do and how to present myself. My aunt works in the court system and said to "fall on my sword" and just go along with whatever the judge says and not to argue. But I feel like I should defend myself in some manner.

Any help or insight is appreciated

The reason why the cop said the speed limit was 20, because the limit is different when kids are in/or leaving school. In your case, there's probably a sign somewhere close to the school saying "35, 20 when school in session" or something along those lines.

The only case you have is to say that you honked the horn once, and wasn't being a nuisance. The only problem you'll have is if the cop had noted down that it was your friend yelling that made it a nuisance.

exrider12
01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Chit
The reason why the cop said the speed limit was 20, because the limit is different when kids are in/or leaving school. In your case, there's probably a sign somewhere close to the school saying "35, 20 when school in session" or something along those lines.

The only case you have is to say that you honked the horn once, and wasn't being a nuisance. The only problem you'll have is if the cop had noted down that it was your friend yelling that made it a nuisance.

I thought the same thing about the sign but no where is it posted that the speed limit changes. Now the middle schools in our district are different, they have the flashings signs that say 20 mph when flashing. The high school does not. And he didn't see my friend so it was just the horn.

Ruby Soho
01-24-2012, 09:08 PM
if your in a school zone they got ya.

go to court, chances are you get to the desk they drop it.

exrider12
01-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I hope so.. I dont have $270 laying around right now haha

finsteratv
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
in oregon all week days like 8-5 its 20 near schools.

SpasticR450
01-27-2012, 01:41 AM
You broke the law you got the ticket for sure. But if you go to court you will prob get the price dropped lower and payment plan made low as even 10 bucks a month. If you don't go they will charge you 270 and prob say you need to pay it in full with in 2 months or could face jail or if your a teen they can take your licens till you pay if not paid in time. If you have more than one charge they normaly will drop all but 1 at less you done it before. Going 20 over is enough to make you lose your licens on spot. My last ticket was about 300 and was dropped to 120. And for the last 2 years been paying 10 a month for an almost 700 ticket. You don't have a case at all to protect your self like saying your horn is quiet it don't matter it's against the law to use your horn at less to warn some one. Just hope judge isn't a dick like the one i had. Walked in with new blue jeans and new fox shirt and he tole me I walked into his court room looking like a bum off the street so i said ok next time ill come dressed like you lmao.

extremeblastr
01-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by SpasticR450
You broke the law you got the ticket for sure. But if you go to court you will prob get the price dropped lower and payment plan made low as even 10 bucks a month. If you don't go they will charge you 270 and prob say you need to pay it in full with in 2 months or could face jail or if your a teen they can take your licens till you pay if not paid in time. If you have more than one charge they normaly will drop all but 1 at less you done it before. Going 20 over is enough to make you lose your licens on spot. My last ticket was about 300 and was dropped to 120. And for the last 2 years been paying 10 a month for an almost 700 ticket. You don't have a case at all to protect your self like saying your horn is quiet it don't matter it's against the law to use your horn at less to warn some one. Just hope judge isn't a dick like the one i had. Walked in with new blue jeans and new fox shirt and he tole me I walked into his court room looking like a bum off the street so i said ok next time ill come dressed like you lmao.

you got screwed because of your iq. when are you gonna grow up bro? you've been an idiot on these forums forever and obviously that transfers into your regular life to.

@exrider12: school zone is always a dangerous place when it comes to tickets. wear some decent clothes and present yourself like an adult. be respectful to the judge and don't lose your temper if things aren't going your way. worst case scenario your ticket will be cut down quite a bit and if your lucky they will drop it all.

Lasher
01-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Been throught many tickets in the years I have been driving.

If you "truely" want to defend yourself, get a lawyer. Anything else is a crap shoot. Of course that will be more money than the ticket but then there is the insurance increase for years due to the ticket and age.

Without a lawyer, you have very little chance of the speed part of the ticket getting thrown out. But the other stuff you might depending on the DA and how you handle yourself.

I used to get them to change the "speeding" violation to something else like "failure to obey traffic control device". Why? Because the second one does not flag insurance companies to raise my rates.

Dressing for court...suit no...don't try to look like a lawyer. But dress pants, nice shoes, button down shirt at the very least.

JForestZ34
01-30-2012, 05:22 PM
I hate to say it but if you took off to catch the guy in front of you that is most likely the reason why he pulled you over in a school zone. I would just go and tell the judge what happened and pray they don't take your license away. Doubling the speed limit in a school zone is a BIG no no.

A lot of roads around by me don't have speed limit signs on them, but when you take your test they ask you what the speed limit is without a sign posted. The speed is 25mph without a sign posting the limit.

I think the same is for schools also when the kids are around.

The best you can do is suck it up and talk to the DA and see what he can do for you. Most likely they will through everything out but the speeding.

James