PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Sqwrly
01-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Ok . I have some questions and I figured you guys could help me with them . Here in a couple of weeks I am going to be purchasing a quad . Well I found this nice 2005 Honda 400EX . I went and looked at this quad in person and drove it and it fired right up after sitting for about a month . The guy said it burns a little oil . Not an excess amount just a little . Well I figured it could be because the mods that the engine has which causes it to run a little hotter than a normal quad . So I was thinking maybe that would cause it to burn a little oil . But then again that could be a bad sign, it doesn't smoke or make any weird noises . This motor is a fresh build and only has about 40 hours on it . And the owner has all the receipts to show proof of the work. But here is its mod list . He also said hes running 10w-40 Honda racing oil also . Could the carb needing to be adjusted cause it to burn a little oil ? For the price on this quad its a deal and a half . The guy just needs it gone he doesnt have time or room anymore.

Bored to a 440, brand new cylinder with Wiseco 440 sleeve, Wiseco 89mm 12.5:1 comp. piston, Hot Rods forged rod, new head with new valves and kibble white racing lightweight valve springs and titanium retainers/keepers, stage 2 Hotcam, moose jet kit, K&N velocity intake, full LRD Pro 4 series exhaust, EBC dirtracer clutch, Hellbound racing pb block off .

jkosakowski
01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
It might be burning oil because the rings did not seat properly when he rebuilt it. Im not positive but might be.

DragonGunner
01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Its burning oil...you don't think its burning oil...? The carb has nothing to do with burning oil...if its been running lean it may of heated the rings to hot an scratched the cylinder an this allows oil to pass an burn...sometime new rings an a hone, sometimes more to correct it. Also it could be leaking valve seals....if it ain't smoking then its probably not bad. With that compression you may want to run close to 100 octane in the tank.

TheAwesomehonda
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
I'd check that the crank case gaskets r good by seeing if its oily around the outside..

Sqwrly
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
Its burning oil...you don't think its burning oil...? The carb has nothing to do with burning oil...if its been running lean it may of heated the rings to hot an scratched the cylinder an this allows oil to pass an burn...sometime new rings an a hone, sometimes more to correct it. Also it could be leaking valve seals....if it ain't smoking then its probably not bad. With that compression you may want to run close to 100 octane in the tank.

It doesnt smoke at all not one bit . My problem is around here I cant really get 100 octane .

powerbomb400
01-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Are there any dirt tracks nearby. Those guy will normally run 110 leaded fuel. Mix it with 93a octane to get 100 octane. Air cooled engines will burn some oil. Mine will burn a couple of ounces every 6 to 8 running hours.

CJM
01-24-2012, 07:31 PM
I wouldnt buy it, burns oil is a bad sign-specially on a rebuild. It also needs 100+ octane always with that compression.

Longdong
01-24-2012, 07:36 PM
X2 ^^

slightlybent47
01-24-2012, 09:08 PM
A motor should not be loosing ANY oil. If it is something is wrong. Loosing oil on a motor that new is bad. There a lot of people that can put a motor together and make it run. Doesn’t mean it was done rite. I see it has a K&N filter, may be another case of the filter failing.

Reece616
01-25-2012, 03:14 AM
Im surprised no ones mentioned it yet, but I didn't see heavy duty head studs listed and its bored to a 440? That right there should have you thinking twice...

chronicsmoke
01-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Reece616
Im surprised no ones mentioned it yet, but I didn't see heavy duty head studs listed and its bored to a 440? That right there should have you thinking twice...

That's what I was thinking as I was reading the thread..

If you can rebuild the tope end by yourself, just buy an 11:1 piston, new gasket and go to town..

Sqwrly
01-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Reece616

It does have longer head studs . That was just forgot in the list .

Ok . So being that I am gonna take a risk even if I buy this bike . He was asking 2500 . So if I can get him down too 2000 should I get it ?

slightlybent47
01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
No way is it worth 2500.00, you can buy a way better bike for that.
I'd go $1500. tops

Sqwrly
01-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
No way is it worth 2500.00, you can buy a way better bike for that.
I'd go $1500. tops

Not where im at .

Stickman400
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
If you can get him down to $2,000 I'd do it. If you can do the work (tear-down) for it burning oil (piston rings, hone) then that's only $50 in parts and machine work. Well worth it imo. Especially with all the other stuff it has.

Sqwrly
01-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
If you can get him down to $2,000 I'd do it. If you can do the work (tear-down) for it burning oil (piston rings, hone) then that's only $50 in parts and machine work. Well worth it imo. Especially with all the other stuff it has.

He also said it doesnt burn and excess amount, he was just letting me know to check it every 2 times to make sure and too keep from starving the motor for oil and burning it up . I think this quad is worth atleast 2000 .

CJM
01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
the problem is you do not know the specifics. He could easily say it only burns a bit of oil and you take it out and it burns a quart an hour for all you know. After I drowned mine I was using about 1/4 of a quart every ride (6-8hrs). It was clearly evident why when i rebuilt it b/c the bore was worn out and even a new set of rings didnt help. Piston went in way to easy, then i got a new piston and did a bore and it was like putting 5lbs of poo in a 1lb bag. The oil burning stopped as well. Reason it was burning was oil was pushing past the rings-but I had no noticeable smoke.

You could get what you think is a deal and find out it needs ALOT of work and time. Ex: a buddy of mine bought an 05, it was pretty clean and ran fine. Got it home only to find out the thing was overfull of oil so bad you removed the dipstick and it poured out, then the timing chain tensioner broke, also we found all the bolts for the valve cover either helicoiled, broken off in there and helicoiled, wrong bolts. Then we found the timing chain was bad, the guides, then the piston, etc, etc, etc on and on. Oh but it ran well and he paid like 3 grand for it... He now has at least 1500 in it btw.

Ive been in the 400 game a LONG time. They arent worth nearly what they used to be b/c of the 450s and the economy. My buddy just bought a mint 03 for 1800, and when I say mint I mean its like a 95/100. A good used EX with or without mods is worth at best 2000 unless its something very nice or clean.

But you do whatever you want, I myself wouldnt buy it for 2000, Id offer 1000 b/c you can verify anything besides the guys word and a rebuild if done by a shop is at least 700-1000 after parts and labor. Do the work yourself and its an easy 300 bucks depending on what ya need.