PDA

View Full Version : How many guys on here own dirt scooters?

TheLane
01-23-2012, 02:29 PM
im thinking of buying a dirtbike, there are NO races here in phx other than ITP which is coming through twice this year and still wanna race.

How long did it take you guys to get used to it?

BlasterEaten250
01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
I have probably around 20ish hours of ride time on my bike and it's still pretty challenging every now and then. I'm by no means fast but I think I've finally started to get over that "going to die" feeling. I still have the quad but all it does is collect dust nowadays because the bike is so much more fun to me.

Even though I'll always have a soft spot for 4 wheelers, dirt bikes are certainly my new addiction.

rollie
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
i wanted to get a bike, but if your anything like me all the people claiming "omg it's so much better than a 4 wheeler more fun" are wrong, sure riding anything with a motor is fun, but i would so much rather moto a 4 wheeler than a dirt bike any day of the week

slightlybent47
01-23-2012, 05:45 PM
I started out on two wheels in 1978 and I still ride a bike. Even though my quad has four wheels it stays on two most of the time.lol

finsteratv
01-23-2012, 05:58 PM
I love my bike! it makes me sick that i spent so much on my TRX but ride my CR so much lately..My 4wheeler is better for family rides though, especially sand so we can trail ride. it has alot more power too, torque monster. I just really enjoy bikes for some reason..plus theyre alot cheaper.

madskrillz2
01-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by rollie
i wanted to get a bike, but if your anything like me all the people claiming "omg it's so much better than a 4 wheeler more fun" are wrong, sure riding anything with a motor is fun, but i would so much rather moto a 4 wheeler than a dirt bike any day of the week

That's exactly how I feel but you know what I think the problem is? I can go out and do the biggest jumps, rhythm sections, etc. on a quad but I feel like I'm starring in a goon ride video on a bike. I just don't feel like having to relearn everything again. It's starting to look like I'm gonna have no choice but to switch though. Seems like everyday another track doesn't allow quads.

rollie
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
That's exactly how I feel but you know what I think the problem is? I can go out and do the biggest jumps, rhythm sections, etc. on a quad but I feel like I'm starring in a goon ride video on a bike. I just don't feel like having to relearn everything again. It's starting to look like I'm gonna have no choice but to switch though. Seems like everyday another track doesn't allow quads. Yep same think On a quad im thinking about tripleing that jump, where as on a bike im worried about doubling it lol

BlasterEaten250
01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
I can go out and do the biggest jumps, rhythm sections, etc. on a quad but I feel like I'm starring in a goon ride video on a bike. I just don't feel like having to relearn everything again. See I think that's what I like most about it, I love having the challenge of learning something new again. It's the same feeling I had 10 years ago when I started riding a 90. I would probably feel the same way if I bought a jet ski or like last year when I bought a snowmobile...it's nice to work on something new. That is just my opinion though. Like I said, I don't plan on selling my quad anytime soon because it's still more fun in the woods, and if I get tired of looking like a fool on the bike I can just hop back on the ol' 400 :D

Zakradu398
01-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I've had bikes forever and just got my quad a year ago. I usually use to ride strictly trails but I started going to tracks and it's so sick. Funnest thing to do in my book

blacknblue#2
01-24-2012, 07:16 AM
I went through the same decision. I went from being a local pro class guy on a quad to bing the goon everybody wanted off the track when i was practicing on my bike. Now after a year i have finally adapted. I am back to throwing roost and trying to combine small jumps into one big jump haha. I love it now. My heart is still on 4 wheels but to me a bike is so much better financially and is just as much fun.

fastredrider44
01-24-2012, 09:02 AM
I grew up on a bike, and still ride them and own them. That being said, I can ride pretty good in the woods on a bike, but I'm a goon on a bike on a track. I never got comfortable jumping a bike. I'm not sure why, it just doesn't feel good to me and I lock up.

quad2xtreme
01-24-2012, 09:29 AM
I just switched. Maybe 3 hours of ride time with a thumb throttle on it (the way I bought it) and about 1.5 hrs with a twist. It is a big adjustment but having fun and it is now all I think about. Keeping the quads for serious trail riding though.

I wanted to switch because my friends rode bikes and often go to tracks I can't on a quad. Really hated missing out.

Just bought my wife a 2012 Honda CRF150R Expert (Big Wheel). We fired it up last night for the first time since we bought it a week ago. I was shocked how much pep it has.

chronicsmoke
01-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Ok here's a good Q.

What are you guys switching too? I want a bike too, I have for a while, I judt don't want to get something too small and have to swap it for something. And I dont want to get something too big where I'll kill myself.

125 2-Stroke/250 4-Stroke

or

250 2-Stroke/450 4-stroke

At 6'3 200lbs, I think I'd need the 450 frame, but 250 power :p

Only 2 bikes I've drove are an IT200 I used to have, and my buddies CR125 in a 450f frame (i liked it alot :))

Edit: I did drive a BMW K75 all last summer, I really felt comfortable by the end of the summer.. Thought I was going to die at the beginning though

quad2xtreme
01-24-2012, 12:53 PM
I never really like 2 strokes even when I had one...mostly didn't like the powerband. I rode 3 450s and thought the power would be dangerous for a beginner who wasn't used to a twist throttle. I got a 250 4-stroke which has more than enough power for anything I will jump.

I really didn't notice a difference in the physical size between the two.

I am 6' 5.5" and 194 lbs.

I just ordered some Fastway pegs to lower the stock height by 1/2" and probably going to get some higher seat foam. A tech from SDG told me the Honda doesn't have as much distance between the seat and footpeg height as the others but I've never really researched. SDG is the company that makes seat replacements with more foam.

KKiowaTJ
01-24-2012, 01:03 PM
I grew up on 2 wheels and still have a pit bike. I had all kinds over the years but the two i loved most was my 97' CR250R and 03' 250F.

I'm 6'4 240 and the 250f can keep up with 450's. That and a 290 kit helps and puts them to where they have to start riding harder. But the 250f is light and i could throw it around like a flag, Good some days, Bad out comes on a few, But i prefer the lite's bikes.

IMO a 250f is a good all around trail/track bike when you get it set up to your liking. But it really comes down to your preference. I would rather hit a jump higher in the rpm on a lite, Than lug a 450 around and when you do twist into it, You have to learn control all over again as the 450's IMO are crazy when you get them wound up and can hurt you alot quicker.

fastredrider44
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
I've always liked the bigger bore bikes so I didn't have to stay in the throttle as much. I could just roll into it in any gear and know that I was ready for launch. The 250Fs and 125s that I've ridden seemed like they weren't happy unless they were wound tight.

finsteratv
01-24-2012, 06:46 PM
I personally love my 125. im 6ft and i can throw it around easy..challenging ride too..pretty much wide open or nothing haha. Chronic are you looking to do mx also? I'd highly recommend a KDX or KTM 200 for the woods, they're awesome woods bikes. Does anyone else have more into quads but feel like theyre better at riding bikes? I dont think my dad would let me sell my 450 though because he likes quads..

b0rn c0nfused
01-24-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm going to look at a 95 kx250 this sunday. Little older but looks really nice in pictures, only mods are a fmf pipe. Only other dirt scooter I had was a P.O.S yamaha ttr-250 that I had for about 2 weeks.

concise
01-24-2012, 06:55 PM
I just picked up a ktm 250sxf and love it.
I love my quads,but bikes are cheaper/easier to maintain/sole up the big hits better(I'm getting old).
I'm also currently looking for a 450f bike or I might grab a 250 two stroke if the price is right.

Exrider434
01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I never really like 2 strokes even when I had one...mostly didn't like the powerband. I rode 3 450s and thought the power would be dangerous for a beginner who wasn't used to a twist throttle. I got a 250 4-stroke which has more than enough power for anything I will jump.

I really didn't notice a difference in the physical size between the two.

I am 6' 5.5" and 194 lbs.

I just ordered some Fastway pegs to lower the stock height by 1/2" and probably going to get some higher seat foam. A tech from SDG told me the Honda doesn't have as much distance between the seat and footpeg height as the others but I've never really researched. SDG is the company that makes seat replacements with more foam.

Sdg step seat and fastways were the best purchase I ever made for my crf.

bencasey217
01-24-2012, 09:32 PM
My brother and I just got a 2006 Kawasaki Kx 250 2 stroke for our first dirtbike, which we are 15 and 17. Bad decision. I haven't rode it that much because it scares the living crap out of me, I'm not used to the twist throttle. I would say maybe 6 months if you ride it alot

KKiowaTJ
01-24-2012, 11:19 PM
A two stroke and four stroke are night and day. Its sad they are getting outdated and never used in the pros. Funny thing is, If you know how to handle the 250's you will be able to lug and keep up with a 450.

Not saying the four strokes are bad, But you can clutch up and hit anything with a 2 stroke. Lighter, More responsive and crazy ride. The four stroke you have to build momentum and speed. Its all give and take.

But for a person starting out or want a reliable trail and mx bike, A 250f is your best bet. The 2 stroke are cheap for a reason, They have become widow makers from people taking four stroke reaction to a 2 stroke and its not working out to well.
To learn the ergonomics and weight transfer of a 2 stroke is IMO twice what a 4 stroke comfortability offers. To each his own, Be safe either way

ridehonda400ex
01-25-2012, 01:35 PM
I got a 2001 rm125. I had a couplke kx250's and they were too much. scared the piss out of me. Now the 125 i felt comfortable jumping on only the 3rd lap i ever rode it! Its got plenty of power and is definetly easy to get used to especially going from a quad to a "dirt scooter" haha