PDA

View Full Version : How to ship a quad

huntertaylor98
01-22-2012, 10:03 PM
What is the best way to ship a quad and what the best places and what are prices

KKiowaTJ
01-22-2012, 10:33 PM
If you can get it to fit on a pallet, Take off wheels/tires, Grab bar, Front bumper and anything else that sticks out, You could ship it freight terminal to terminal or to a commercial address. But you are responsible for unloading most times if to a commercial. They usually wont go to a residential, And a terminal is best if you and they are close to one.
Or you could try a "hot shot" load. Thats usually a personal run operation and high dollar. But if they are going that way, You can sometimes get a decent deal made.
But ballpark IMO you looking at $500 up to ??? depending on the convenience of both parties. Good luck

huntertaylor98
01-22-2012, 10:38 PM
A hot shot load is like that new show shipping wars right.How does payment work

smr
01-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
If you can get it to fit on a pallet, Take off wheels/tires, Grab bar, Front bumper and anything else that sticks out, You could ship it freight terminal to terminal or to a commercial address. But you are responsible for unloading most times if to a commercial. They usually wont go to a residential, And a terminal is best if you and they are close to one.
Or you could try a "hot shot" load. Thats usually a personal run operation and high dollar. But if they are going that way, You can sometimes get a decent deal made.
But ballpark IMO you looking at $500 up to ??? depending on the convenience of both parties. Good luck

he's given you real good advice. Put it on a pallet and contact yellow frieght or any other company in your area. Last time I did it I was able to ship one from Cali to Ky for under $200.00.

KKiowaTJ
01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Just saw a commercial about that show. Thats a joke IMO, Not reality.

I guess before the TV, A hot shot load was a call at 3am to take enough parts 500 miles up to 5k to get them by until the big load shows.
The driver usually has a dually x-cab and a flat bed or enclosed depending what hes hauling and gets it done, High speed, No sleep etc as you dont fall under DOT regulations as its not a commercial vehicle. Thats why its called hot shot.

But it will cost you $$ to go that route unless like i said, They are already going that way. Just call some terminals and ask what it would cost, Have a ballpark of what the quad will weigh to. FedEx freight might not be a bad place to try, But might be on the high end on cost. Good luck either way

Scro
01-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I've shipped a 250r out on a pallet before. It's probably the most cost efficient route, but it's by far the safest. All it takes is one bonehead on a forklift to destroy it. Build a frame out of 2x4's, and wrap it in cardboard. Sometimes they tend to stack freight in the trailer whenever possibly, so I would put the "do not stack" signs on top of it. You should be able to get these at the freight company. DON'T FORGET INSURANCE!

fastrnrik
01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
I would put it in a crate and ship with a reputable, licensed shipping company that is legit and insured- Yellow, Saia, RL, FedEx, etc.
I know of two instances where someone hired a "private" shipper and the quad never made it. Screw that, I'll pay extra for a big company that I know will deliver.

ktmmack
01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Uship.com No pallets needed, best way to ship a quad, have used this service in the past. Best price and won't take weeks to ship.

fastrnrik
01-23-2012, 06:01 PM
uship was where the two shippers came from that made the quads disappear. There are reputable shippers on there, but lots of jokers with pickups too. Be cautious.

Tommy Warren
01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
uship.com I shipped a mustang this way and the guy had a realtime video camera in the trailer so I could check on the car whenever I wanted

jkiserracing
01-23-2012, 09:16 PM
where are you shipping from / to?
I own a shipping company....may be able to help you out wit a good price!!

huntertaylor98
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Corpus Christi, TX to West Memphis,AR