PDA

View Full Version : another exhaust thread

HondaRacing83
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Sooo im tossing up slip on ideas. I don't like the way motoworks sound, love the way powercore 4 and evo r sound. two bros is pretty good to. theres 2 used pipes on ebay, fmf titanium 4 for $160 buy it now+$15 shipping. it looks nice. or two brothers for $175 free shipping. the fmf is in a little better condition. what is the better pipe here? or should i just fork out the extra money and buy evo r new?

CJM
01-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Everythings the same really, if you had a 1hp difference between whatever slip on you chose it wouldnt translate out to more overall power in the end.

A good exhaust imho is HMF or FMF, there are others but for slip ons those 2 are worth it. For what I paid and then had to mod I like my lexx as well.

Zakradu398
01-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I have a yoshimura comp slip on and i like it a lot. Came with a quiet/spark arrestor insert too :o Got mine off craigslist for 150

quadmanw
01-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Motoworks or HMF are IMO the best slip-ons. Unless you go Curtis Sparks..

Rohr397
01-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Motoworks sounds incredible when you have the spark arrestor removed. Otherwise it just sounds like a Two Bros. I've owned both of them.

The Two Bros will add a bunch more of that all at once power to the bottom end, while the Motoworks will stretch the powerband out like a 450. Since I have a Motoworks sponsorship I am supposed to say their pipe is better, but in all honesty while I liked my Two Bros, I just didn't love it. And the midpipe rusted up in no time. I am still testing out the Motoworks but so far I am much more satisfied. I've also ridden with Dr.D but I couldn't tell if it was the high comp piston or the pipe that made the power so nice. It was LOUD though and that was a negative for the dunes.

quadmanw
01-22-2012, 09:15 PM
I love how the Motoworks can be loud but if you need to be quiet when you slow down.. It deff can be. Its a great all around pipe.. When I bought it when they first came out I paid $280.. Now I see them for $210! They really made a name for themselves. Great pipe. Need to make a full system for the 400ex tho!

TheAwesomehonda
01-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Just open your wallet and get a HMF comp series full system.. U can't beat the power or sound man. There only 516 from summit

Rohr397
01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
I think they make a full system now? But EX's don't need it. I just wish they made that new G2 system for the EX's. Still, the standard SR4 is good and it looks great, I'll try to post some pics of mine if you're interested.

CJM
01-22-2012, 09:42 PM
In all honesty a full system is pointless on these quads. The header design cant get much better really than the stock setup due to design.

Rohr397
01-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
In all honesty a full system is pointless on these quads. The header design cant get much better really than the stock setup due to design.

x2, save yourself some money and upgrade something else... or just save your money.

TheAwesomehonda
01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
I payed 200 dollars just for the header but it doesn't rust and it keeps a nice golden color..

quadmanw
01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
The stock headers arent bad at all. They have almost like an enlarged restricter right where they bolt into the jugg that I grinded out.. Makes a big difference. They used to do it when this motor was in the motorcycles.

HondaRacing83
01-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
I think they make a full system now? But EX's don't need it. I just wish they made that new G2 system for the EX's. Still, the standard SR4 is good and it looks great, I'll try to post some pics of mine if you're interested. I'm interested.

Rohr397
01-23-2012, 02:56 PM
I tried to get it downsized but the quality turned out horrible, so here's a vid of it instead. There's a sound test included at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd2PhHfg4qw

HondaRacing83
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
i like it, what bend bars are your protapers?

Rohr397
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
CR Highs, a lot of people don't like Pro Tapers, especially the 7/8 standard ones. But this setup never gives me arm pump. I actually normally run it without the crossbar and that seems to work best for me.

KKiowaTJ
01-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Mine came with a yosh and most i have talked to said its the best one for the 400ex. But IMO all they do is open up sound. I always liked white brothers but found they are no more.

But another option i have used in the past is have race baffles installed in your stock can with a better tip. I dont know if its possible on the 400ex, But worked great for my old 450f and R1.

It was also the only time i could notice a difference in power vs noise compared to old slip-ons. They sounded great and response was alot better, Add a jet kit and was a new bike. Good luck either way

HondaRacing83
01-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Rohr397
CR Highs, a lot of people don't like Pro Tapers, especially the 7/8 standard ones. But this setup never gives me arm pump. I actually normally run it without the crossbar and that seems to work best for me. same exact bars i have. for some reason they looked higher

HondaRacing83
01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
does anyone know what the db is on a motoworks and a big gun evo r. is the big gun to loud for state trails and trails like hatfield mccoy and is it to loud for racing?

quadmanw
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm not POSITIVE but i think motoworks is 98db.. I know they have quiet inserts also. Theyre loud but I dont think theyre that loud