View Full Version : Is my car ganna be totaled?

400exHondaRider
01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I have a 2000 mustang v-6, its the basic model. Some d-bags decided to pour something all over my car completely ruining the paint job, they also poured something into my gas tank. So if i need a complete new paint job and my gas tank/fuel lines cleaned out. Is this enough to have the bank total my car?

beastlywarrior
01-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Shouldnt a tank can be drained and paint is easy id value the car more than a few thousand

CJM
01-22-2012, 05:54 PM
New paint job would be approx 2000+ if they have to do it all over again depending on the place.

Tank can be drained.

More importantly, if you know who did it file criminal charges.

JBENSON
01-22-2012, 06:00 PM
In WV the state law is they will total a car if it exceeds 75% of retail value. For example if its worth $10000 it will total at $7500.

KKiowaTJ
01-22-2012, 06:18 PM
Just all depends on how bad the damage is. The paint, Unless they poured paint thinner or something that will eat paint, It can be washed, Wet sanded and re clear coated. They might be able to sand and buff it out with compound.

Its a 12 year old v6 mustang, the value of it is only 2k give or take. They dont hold value very well unless its a v8 or a special edition car with low miles.

Just drop the tank and drain it 100% and clean the fuel lines out from the tank to the fuel rail purge. Its a PITA to do but better safe than sorry. If you drain the tank alone and the lines and fuel rail and injectors are clogged with ?? it will still damage the combustion chambers with just that little of contamination.

The fuel pump has a strainer and filter sock so chances are liquid only made it into the fuel system. Hope it works out for ya, Good luck

400exHondaRider
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
this is what ive found on values so far: The car was in average condition before this happended.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2000/Ford/Mustang-V6/Coupe-2D/Standard-Equipment

http://www.kbb.com/ford/mustang/2000-ford-mustang/coupe-2d/?vehicleid=5895&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=130000&category=coupe&options=225255%7ctrue%7c225327%7ctrue%7c225347%7ct rue&pricetype=private-party&isnotabs=true&creativeid=443

based off these numbers in avegae condition, needing a new paint job and the tank fuel lines cleaned will it be totaled?

Tommy Warren
01-22-2012, 07:13 PM
its a v6 mustang....it was totalled when it rolled off the assembly line... but seriously it could be fixed easy unless you want to claim the insurance and get another car as well as pay higher insurance premiums

mineralgrey01gt
01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Did you try to move the car at all? Turn it over or anything? If so then more than likely the fuel pump messed up also and it got pumped into the engine which would cause major problems. Those cars arent worth much at all so more than likely it is totaled

400exHondaRider
01-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Tommy- i cant afford to pay for a new paint job, and whatever else will have to be done, so more than likely i will have to turn it into insurance.

mineral- no i have not turned the engine over or even tried, dont want to cause anymore damage. And are you saying its probably totaled even if it doesnt mess up the motor just pain and fuel tank?

250x_kyle
01-22-2012, 09:27 PM
what the heck did you do to make someone do it to you? on a side note you gotta do what you gotta do. you have to play the cards your dealt. did this happen in a parking lot where there were cameras by chance?

mineralgrey01gt
01-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah man, if the whole car needs a repaint then that will cost a good bit for sure. More than the value of the car

400exHondaRider
01-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Im not sure i think it might have been a random thing where some punk kids were just driving around looking for trouble. And no it happended at my house in my driveway.

CJM
01-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Claim insurance, get them to pay for vandalism. Take cash and buy something better.... Problem solved?

Chit
01-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exHondaRider
Im not sure i think it might have been a random thing where some punk kids were just driving around looking for trouble. And no it happended at my house in my driveway.

Don't quote me on this because I haven't read the book on it, but this may be the one case where murder may be used without persecution.

KKiowaTJ
01-22-2012, 11:48 PM
What was poured on it? Or what does it look like?

They might have siphoned your gas and poured some on it or let set the home on it.
Maybe savvy thieves that equaled it out with water?

Clean it out and up as much as possible and turn it in. The cleaner the car the higher book you will get minus your deductible. It sucks but thats what you pay insurance for isn't it?

SpasticR450
01-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Depends on blue book val. I totaled 5 things including quads. The way it worked for me was how much it cost to fix vs blue book val. If the damages were around 50% of what its blue book was it got wrote off as totaled.
Just had my car messed with to a few weeks back 2 times with in 3 days wind shield broke and days later car kicked and paint scratched up and flower and syrup all over my car. Hate stupid A-hole neighbors :mad:

TheLane
01-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
its a v6 mustang....it was totalled when it rolled off the assembly line... but seriously it could be fixed easy unless you want to claim the insurance and get another car as well as pay higher insurance premiums

PS, your premium shouldnt increase. This falls under Comprehensive not collision.

Comprehensive means it was out of your control henceforth your premium should not increase, only bummer, is you might still have a deductible.

yet again. Tommy is a dumb*** :devil: :blah:

Tommy Warren
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
you always did seem like one of those crooked insurance salesmen......lane is one of those guys who could look a man in the eye and plow him in the dirt hole at the same time:eek:

TheLane
01-23-2012, 06:46 PM
BAHHHHHHHHHHHH, i work for USAA were probably the only ones that arent crooked.

But to answer your question, i would only do that to you tommy :D

KKiowaTJ
01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
I work for an independent claims adjustment company, I do claims for high end custom cars, Trucks, Jeeps etc. The kind of vehicles where the front axles is worth more than a BMW line of auto's.

Funny USAA is mentioned,It is one of the only few that dont f**k you around. State/snake farm and american family are the top two lowlifes of the insurance company's. They will **** their mom over to save the company money.

Insurance is the biggest scam, You pay for nothing if you never have a claim. My father hasn't had a ticket since the 70's and no wrecks either. He still has to throw money away every 6 months.

But thats where i come in and claim everything down to a small scratch. I claim any and all on my personal rig and it has a value of 25k parts only. I get to write my own estimates and submit my own claims, If the company dont like it my lawyer takes care of it in a call or two. No reason not to use and claim, Your wasting your own money if you dont.

slightlybent47
01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
It could depend on what was pored on the car. I know for a fact that break fluid will not come off no mater how you do it. You can sand it down to the bear metal and after it’s repainted it will still bleed through. You want to ruin a set of aluminum wheels, just spray them with ez off oven cleaner. It will etch the aluminum and it can not be buffed out.

Maco will paint your car for $200.00 but you get what you pay for.

I would make a clam on my insurance then fix the gas tank and get a cheap 200 dollar paint job and keep the rest of the money.

And i agree USAA is the best there is.