PDA

View Full Version : Nerfs for woods?

jst
01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Does anyone use nerfs in the woods or for GNCC?We do alot of woods riding ad would like to put some on but need the pros and cons and personal experiences.

dxcody
01-22-2012, 04:21 PM
I love nerfs, even for woods. Idk why but i ride better with nerf bars.

Pros: Comfort, stability, etc..

Cons: They pack with mud adding extra weight and lower ride height, and some brands of narfs stick out farther than others, and the last thing you want is something that sticks out farther than your front tires when your squeezing in and out of tree's.

I like them, its all about what you prefer.
Some pro's use them, like Kiser, McGill, Fowler.. Some dont like Ockerman, and Borich.

rollie
01-22-2012, 05:06 PM
you can use them to pivot around tree's! if i ever race GNCC i will have nerf bars, just run the nets tighter so they dont snag up on everything and id thing you'll be ok, obviously at some points they will hinder you but like the post above, i dont care what type of racing it is i like nerfs haha

tbrackman84
01-22-2012, 05:44 PM
I just ride woods but never raced. I personally do not like nerfs, i think they make the quad feel wider and I just don't like them haha. I bought a set of pro armors and ended up taking them off and selling them in an hour or two. Now I have aluminum tusk heelguards, which I think are a must, especiialy if you dont have nerfs

CJM
01-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I wont ride without them. Your feet can get snagged between the tire/heel guards quite easily, the nerfs protect you if you land awkwardly and protect you from things you might hit like stumps or whatever. They dont stick out and give me soo much better control as well b/c you can lean like crazy with them if need be.

Drfat400ex
01-22-2012, 05:50 PM
If you're running stock width don't get pro armour sport series. That's what I have with stock width and they stick out about an inch further. But they are nice to have, I used to think they were stupid but then I bought my 400ex with them already on and I love them for jumps. Saved me a damn sore foot a few times.

Scro
01-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Some people run their nerfs without nets, so they won't get snagged, and so they can put feet down in a bottle neck situation...flintstone reverse if you will.

JBENSON
01-22-2012, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rollie
[B]you can use them to pivot around tree's!

Agreed! I would not race without them.

Scro
01-22-2012, 06:17 PM
If I ever get back into racing, I'll be running something similar to Ryan Lane's.

KKiowaTJ
01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
I have always ran them. I use them to every advantage, Like using it as a buffer in a wheel etc to the guy next to you. Keeps their tires out as well. But a nerf or rear will send a person over the berm and out of your way.
If your in the woods you can slide them into trees etc if brakes fail. The only con i can think of is as mentioned mud and what not collecting in them, But a good heel kick or hard landing will knock most of it off, At least in my experiences with them and trails. Good luck either way

Sjorge450R
01-23-2012, 11:26 PM
nerfs are a must. You never know when you are gonna slip off your peg. It happens to all of us. I ran a few races with pegs and heel guards, and I admit I liked it. I didnt like the risk it brought, so the nerfs went back on.