PDA

View Full Version : motor assembly tricks...

skyeryder
01-20-2012, 04:02 PM
This isn't about speed secrets(I know everyone keeps those a secret) I was just curious as to what tricks everyone might have on assembly of a motor, seems to be some newer people on here lately might help. My question is does anyone have a homemade engine stand??? I'm building a xc motor in the basement(warmer than pole barn) getting ready to put crank back in and was going to get the 2x4's out to shim the motor up and thought it'd be nice to have a stand for this, thought I could get some ideas on some that you all might have built, thanks

EthansDad
01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Tall milk crate and roller chair for me, and yes I wedge a 2x4 between motor and frame when mounting. I guess I don't have any originality there. I met a guy that took that up a notch and made a quad stand with a lazy Susan/ swivel top so he could spin the quad around instead of moving himself. That guy had originality.

skyeryder
01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
that's basically what I do now, I was wanting to build something for when I'm installing cranks for the cvt side cause it's odd shaped
Plus once you get the crank in you have those shafts sticking out when you flip it over so something for them to go through....

Logan #34's Dad
01-21-2012, 09:39 PM
It is really a simple job. I freeze the bearings and the crank. Warm the cases IF you want but room temp will work. Clean the cases very well then drop your frozen bearings into each side. Go find something to do for awhile while the bearings thaw and come up to room temp.
Take some Yamabond or Hondabond and apply a thin coat to both halves of the cases where they'll come together. Get your inside case bolts ready (I like putting a thin coat of Hondabond on the shafts of the bolts) and whatever tool your using to tighten the bolts that keep the cases together.
Grab your frozen crank shaft and drop it inside one of the bearing or half case. Preferably the long side while it's on it's side. You may need a elevate the case so the crank ends don't hit the floor. I used two 2x4's. Using a rubber mallet tap the other end to push the crank into the bearing. Quickly put the other half on or through the bearing..... take a rubber mallet and tap down the case toward the other. I've used a 1x1 piece of wood and put one end near the center and worked around the crank shaft near the seal area while hitting the other end of the 1x1 with a hammer. Once you've got them close enough that your bolts will begin to thread, start quickly tighening them one at a time in a cross pattern so the cases draw towards each other evenly. NOTE: make sure the rod is NOT coming through the intake area... Been there Tighten the bolts equally (don't know the desired torque - I just didi it by feel).
After everything is together, take your rubber mallet and smack both ends of the crank a couple times (not the rod).
Then I put Hondabond on the outside sealing area of the seals and a lil 2 stroke oil on the inside of the seal that touches the crank. Manually push each seal on as far as you can then use a small hammer and a scrap of wood to tap the seals home working in a circle around each seal.
That should about do it.............hope that helps.

mini racer #39
01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Thats why your stuff didn't run Dusenbury! To much SMACKIN with a hammer...(thats for the vaccum cleaner):devil:

jweidner
01-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Hey Logan #34's dad,

Always use the freezer and oven method and has never failed. Hammer always leads to trouble!!

Thanks,
J weidner:)

rmuscle
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
if you have access to a bearing press it takes about 5 min . press the bearings in each side then pess the crank in

mmsoup
01-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Freezer for the bearings

Oven for the cases

Put in left side crank seal before I install crank

Tusk crank tool is a minute per side, do CVT side first it pulls the crank through evenly and without impact

I use Yamabond, or Hondabond semidrying (#4)

Probably don"t need to but after I get the case bolts torqued down, I always even the crank web gaps up using feeler gauge

install right crank seal

Mount intake

Leak test

Race.......repeat

skyeryder
01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Sounds like we are all doing the same heat/freeze concept, I was hoping to see a pic of some cool engine stand someone built.....

Logan #34's Dad
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by skyeryder
Sounds like we are all doing the same heat/freeze concept, I was hoping to see a pic of some cool engine stand someone built.....

My engine stand was the work bench......

Good one Havert.....

thequadfather+2
01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey y'all don't be knocking on Rocky too much...He did have something figured out.:devil:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EUTnu2gaRvA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thequadfather+2
02-03-2012, 06:32 PM
this is our stand, simple and easy to use

thequadfather+2
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
##

thequadfather+2
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
###