PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads don't fit?

B.Rich108
01-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I ordered a set of ebc secere duty rear brake pads the other day and went to put them on today and they don't fit! They are for a 400ex..2007, but they were too fat. This was my first time changing the brakes on a quad but I did everything right. There is just not enough space between the two pads for the rotor to fit. YES I DID compress the piston. There shouldn't be anything else I should have to do besides slide the pads in right? Has anyone else had this problem with pads? I'm incredibley agrovated because these pads cost $34!

B.Rich108
01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I did everything right. It's pretty self explanitory right?

Stickman400
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Did you slide that guard/plate back towards the caliper? If that is sticking out it won't work either. And make sure that piston is completely flat against the body of the caliper. The guard I'm talking about is number 29 on this parts fische: http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2005/TRX400EX/REAR-BRAKE-CALIPER

duneslider
01-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Did you back off the parking brake bolt completely? If it isn't backed off all the way the piston can't slide in all the way.

B.Rich108
01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
The piston is all the way in, no problems there. How do you back the guard plate towards the caliper? That made it hard to get the one pad in...that was one of the problems I had. I figured it I was having trouble with it because the pad was too big.

B.Rich108
01-20-2012, 06:29 PM
Does it just compress like the piston?

Stickman400
01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
It's supposed to slide in and out freely. If it doesn't then it is rusted and seized up inside there. You're going to need to take that plate out and then remove all the rust from that pin and lube it up really good and put it back in. It should be easy to do after that. I had that same problem the last time I changed mine.

B.Rich108
01-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Awesome, sounds like fun getting that out.

Stickman400
01-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Mine was a PITA to get out, had to heat up the caliper around that pin and burn up one of the seals on it to get it out. Hopefully yours isn't that hard.

B.Rich108
01-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Is the alen key the bolt that has to come out to be able to remove it? I sure hope not because I was looking at it and it is all stripped out.

Stickman400
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Yea, it has to come out. If it's stripped then you're gunna need a new caliper. Which sucks. Unless you can somehow get that bolt out of there, and then get a new bolt and guard.

smorris1
01-21-2012, 05:36 PM
I bought the same exact pads for my rear once and I had the same problem. There made too thick. I then bought another magnum set and they fit perfectly.

Crosshairs
01-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Weird..I have a set of EBC pads that don't fit either....kinda makes me wonder what the story is now....

CJM
01-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Never had an issue. But I also threw away the stupid little quarter sized inserts that were inside the calipers. They arent needed at all.

smorris1
01-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Yeah ebc is supposed to be best quality but ill never buy any of there stuff again. The pad thickness was wayyyyyy too thick, not even close. I then replaced them with a cheaper set and they went in as easy as possible. I have done the breaks on many honda bikes and I have only had problems with the ebc severe duty pads.

CJM
01-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Speaking of the EBC severe dutys, thats the ones that never gave me any issues. Always fit on no problem..

Stickman400
01-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Ive never had an issue putting them on either. I think you guys arent pushing that guard back in all the way. Thats the problem I always had until I figured out that that needed pushed back in.

EDIT: And then I realized that guard was seized up inside that pin and I had to tear it apart and replace it all. Never had an issue replacing the rear brakes since. It will also make your pads wear out on one side and not the other if that guard isn't doing it's job, because it moves in and out when you apply pressure to the brake and makes it wear the pads down evenly.

Crosshairs
01-22-2012, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Never had an issue. But I also threw away the stupid little quarter sized inserts that were inside the calipers. They arent needed at all.

Yeah, If I leave that out of the caliper, they will fit in.....but that don't seem right....I thought that it was supposed to go back on?....

Ill take your word for it that its not needed but what do they do and why are they there with the stock pads?

Originally posted by Stickman400

EDIT: And then I realized that guard was seized up inside that pin and I had to tear it apart and replace it all. Never had an issue replacing the rear brakes since. It will also make your pads wear out on one side and not the other if that guard isn't doing it's job, because it moves in and out when you apply pressure to the brake and makes it wear the pads down evenly.

Thats the caliper slide, and mine is free as a bird...

smorris1
01-22-2012, 09:12 AM
i wouldnt use them. I guarntee you if you you put a different brand of pads in there they will fit. And everything on my caliper works perfectly and nothings seized. The piston was pushed back all the way I triple checked that lol. Maybe we just got a bad bunch of pads.

CJM
01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
IDK, like I said I threw away those pieces and no issues. If they had been needed I woulda had issues cause I threw they away like 3 years ago.

If a car has the same kinda caliper design-why doest it have them? All I can think they do is prevent dirt from getting in the cupped area of the piston. But it hasnt been an issue.

whyzee
01-22-2012, 05:10 PM
That Allen bolt would be the one! Both my front calipers had the exact same problem as your rear.
You need to buy a new caliper from ebay.
I ended up with brand new OEM ones for $45 each. One caliper even had the OEM pads in it.

B.Rich108
01-22-2012, 05:25 PM
dang..that really sucks. Hopefully it's not raining tomorrow so I have a chance to try and get that bolt out. After thinking about it, I gotta believe that the pads will fit with that guard pushed in.

B.Rich108
01-22-2012, 06:30 PM
If I do have to get a new caliper, would it be worth it to just get a 450r caliper? If so, what year would be compatible with a 2007 ex?

whyzee
01-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by B.Rich108
If I do have to get a new caliper, would it be worth it to just get a 450r caliper? If so, what year would be compatible with a 2007 ex?
Not sure on that one.
Start crusin ebay and see whats out there.

CJM
01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by B.Rich108

Its too much $ and parts for a honda 450r caliper to fit. Now YFZ calipers, those are a direct bolt on.

B.Rich108
01-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Would it be worth it? If so, any years that won't fit?

CJM
01-22-2012, 09:14 PM
Well you need to replace the calipers and it stops much better b/c its twin piston vs single like the EX.

I say do it and do stainless lines, you will be happier with the entire thing.

Any year yfz450 will fit.

Stickman400
01-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Your talking about the rear caliper aren't you B.Rich? I don't think the YFZ caliper will fit on the rear. They will on he front, but not the back. I could be wrong though. If you wanted a 450R caliper on the back then you need the caliper, rotor, brake stay and brake hub. It's only worth it if your willing to drop the $$ on it for a little bit better and controllable braking.

B.Rich108
01-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Yes I am talking about the rear. Im pretty sure CJM is too right.

CJM
01-23-2012, 06:47 AM
Oh your talking bout the back? Then yea you need a honda 450r rear brake caliper and all the parts stickman mentioned.

Id just buy a rebuilt caliper off ebay myself, the rear brake IDK about you but I hardly use it.

The fronts you can use the YFZ brakes.

FWIW too I run a stainless line in the back too, it helped braking.

B.Rich108
01-23-2012, 09:09 AM
Oo ok, in that case ill stick with an ex caliper lol. I really don't use it much either, but its nice to have rear brakes in the snow and when I come back down from a hill climb. But I am going to look into the yfz front brakes. seems like it should be a nice upgrade. The stainless lines also. I was already looking into that a couple weeks ago.