PDA

View Full Version : 300ex will not idle cold

99_300ex
01-20-2012, 11:41 AM
So I have a 1999 300ex and its got a uni filter full fmf exhaust. Jets are a 135 main and a 42 pilot which I just put in today it had the stock 38 in but my problem is that it will not idle to warm up which is what I was hoping the 42 pilot would help and I have had the fuel screw all over and it just don't make a difference. Even with the choke on it won't help at all. It's only 13 degrees here today to by the way but even when its decent out it still won't idle til its up to temp. I hope some one can help cause I'm lost here...

b0rn c0nfused
01-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't know a fix for it but my 300ex is the same way. Have to ride it for a good 10 to 15 minutes for it to idle. Maybe there all this way :confused:

dxcody
01-20-2012, 09:44 PM
turn up the idle about a half turn and see what that does for you.

Another thing is some people dont let their machine warm up properly.

remember there are 3 settings on your choke, open-1/2-closed.

When the choke is fully closed it should start up and then a few moments later it will probably start to die, flip it to half and let it run like that for 5-10 mins, then open the choke all the way.

99_300ex
01-21-2012, 07:22 AM
I will try the idle thing. But I always let it warm up for like 10 min when its this cold but I have to turn the idle way up cause when I put the choke on it makes no difference on the idle it will die right out still but if I put my 450r choke on it brings the idle up like it should.

smr
01-23-2012, 05:42 AM
I would guess it's one of two things.

First guess would be tight vavles. As they warm up they open more and this is a common problem. Set both intake and exhuast at .004

Once the valves are set if the problem remains then I would guess just a little slack in your timing chain. Once ther is a little play it throw this timing off just enough to keep it from idle properly. Loosen the two bolts on your adjuster and see if it pops out. If it don't then it's time fore a new chain. If it does don't forget to run it back in before you tighten it up.

good luck

99_300ex
01-23-2012, 03:56 PM
I will check those two things but it has been this way since I've owned it which has been like 7 years but I just don't get it cause when its warm you barely touch the button and its idling haha