PDA

View Full Version : Rewiring a 400ex

camarodean1969
01-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Have a race bike that the wiring is mostly cut wires & electrical tape. Want to get rid off all unnecessary wires. Quad has no lights, no engine stop, nothing. Just want to start it with a "jump-start" portable battery & wrte in a handle bar starter push button & wire in my teather switch. Can anybody shoot me a hand drawn diagram. Or i have a color diagram but don't know what all i can eliminate.

Stickman400
01-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Here ya go
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/attachment.jpg

JOHNDOE83
01-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Its alot easier then you think.

Once you start taking apart your wire harness, it becomes easy and self explanitory.

I was gonna do the same exact thing at one point, the simple solution is to just take out your battery and jump start it when you need to run it.

Once you open up your wire harness, youll see all it is are wires spliced together covered up by tape, plastic sheeting and fancy plugs. The diagrams are confusing as hell, the actual harness is alot easier to look at.

Isolate the few wires you need, tape them back together and cut the rest off.

dxcody
01-21-2012, 08:29 PM
just like johndoe said, its REALLY easy.

I have redone my wiring twice now and i mean its super simple.

camarodean1969
01-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Do i still need the voltage reg? Or do i just need all the wires that connect to the harness that goes right into the motor? I assume the alternator is inside the motor? Once you start the quad with a battery the quad must generate the voltage necessary to keep it running, right? Thanks for all the replys!!

7.5L_STX
01-22-2012, 03:15 PM
im in the same situation. ive been looking EVERYWHERE for a diagram of a bare bones wiring harness. i have no key, no lights and i just want the bare necessities with a push button and a kill switch.

edit: the only difference is i want to keep my battery.

suspension101
01-23-2012, 06:19 AM
The only reason you need the battery is to start the bike. This is an AC System so the power to the CDI comes from the stator. The Reg/Rec is used to charge the battery and run the headlights.

So, if you're going to get rid of your battery the only wires you need are the 5 going to your CDI box. Hook the black/white to your kill switch.

If keeping your battery you remove the headlights, tail light and handlebar control switches.

mineralgrey01gt
01-23-2012, 08:32 AM
I dont think id like the idea of having a starter like that to crank my quad. What are you going to do if it dies and the starter isnt by you? Maybe im picturing the starter wrong but it doesnt seem practical. Im pretty sure there is a way to convert them to a kick start. Id just do that personally.