PDA

View Full Version : Using Stock Jets vs Aftermarket Jets?

quadrider400ex
01-19-2012, 07:26 AM
I need to jet my quad because I put an exhaust and intake on. Some people are telling me I can use the stock jets to jet it and some are telling me to get aftermarket jets and put them in. What are the pros of getting aftermarket jets instead of just using the stock ones?

CJM
01-19-2012, 08:17 AM
These carbs only like stock/oem type jets. They hate those dynojet things and although they will run ok on a DJ they wont run properly.

www.jetsrus.com has any size jet you could ever want.

quadrider400ex
01-19-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by CJM
These carbs only like stock/oem type jets. They hate those dynojet things and although they will run ok on a DJ they wont run properly.

www.jetsrus.com has any size jet you could ever want.

So do I need to buy Honda OEM jets or just leave the ones that are in now and play around with them? I really don't know anything about jetting, but hear that it is recommended if you put on an aftermarket exhaust and intake. And I'm going to take it to my local dealer to get it jetted.

CJM
01-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Dealers gonna rip you off. Its such an utterly simple process really.

All you need to do is take the carb off, remove the bottom cover, throw in a 42 pilot and a 150-155 main and you should be fine.

See the sticky thread linked in my signature for exact procedures on how to properly jet your bike.

Crosshairs
01-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by quadrider400ex
So do I need to buy Honda OEM jets or just leave the ones that are in now and play around with them? I really don't know anything about jetting, but hear that it is recommended if you put on an aftermarket exhaust and intake. And I'm going to take it to my local dealer to get it jetted.
Honda does not make the jets.Its a Keihin carb so you would use Keihin jets

CJM linked you above where you can buy the jets...as far as the stock jets, you have a 38 pilot and a 148 main..there is no playing around with them, if you want to change the jetting, you need to change the jets.....

what you do as far as intake and exhaust will determine the approximate size of the new jets that you would need ...

that being said, even a stock bike can benefit from a larger pilot jet, a 42 seems to be the sweet spot for these bikes

quadrider400ex
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
So I just got back from the stealership (aka Xtreme machines) and they wanted $200 for labor and $80 for the jet kit plus tax. I walked right put the door after he said that. I guess I'll try it myself and buy the jet kit from the website CJM provided.

Thanks for clearing things up about jetting, I finally kind of get it now:)

CJM
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Edited to clarify:

If you live close enough to xtremes-I live like 10 mins from there. Ill do the work for you for 20 bucks. If you want I also have the number of a qualified atv/mechanic in jackson who would do it for maybe 50 or less.

Its kinda cold right now so jetting it will be tougher but it will be closer than perhaps what ya got now. PM me if your interested and Ill get back to you as soon as I can. You would need a 42 pilot, and jets from 150-155. I think a 150 or 152 would do the trick. If you cant get them at xtremes and dont want to wait Im pretty sure mt holly has them or stumpys does as well as the dealer in metuchen.

All you need is the jets, 2-3 plugs and Id recommend an adjustable needle. Which you can buy if you buy a shindy rebuild kit off ebay or jetsrus. Might have to order a kit from an 04 and earlier since they had adjustable needles and the 05+ did not. A dealer might carry the earlier needle or a rebuild kit as well.

quadrider400ex
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Edited to clarify:

If you live close enough to xtremes-I live like 10 mins from there. Ill do the work for you for 20 bucks. If you want I also have the number of a qualified atv/mechanic in jackson who would do it for maybe 50 or less.

Its kinda cold right now so jetting it will be tougher but it will be closer than perhaps what ya got now. PM me if your interested and Ill get back to you as soon as I can. You would need a 42 pilot, and jets from 150-155. I think a 150 or 152 would do the trick. If you cant get them at xtremes and dont want to wait Im pretty sure mt holly has them or stumpys does as well as the dealer in metuchen.

All you need is the jets, 2-3 plugs and Id recommend an adjustable needle. Which you can buy if you buy a shindy rebuild kit off ebay or jetsrus. Might have to order a kit from an 04 and earlier since they had adjustable needles and the 05+ did not. A dealer might carry the earlier needle or a rebuild kit as well.

I live in Millstone/Clarksburg (whatever you want to call it) If I just picked up 150-155 jets and a 42 pilot, would that be alright? Are the plugs (I'm guessing spark plugs?) and an adjustable needle required to jet also? I'm a little short on $ so I can't be spending too much and it doesn't have to be precisely perfect jetting.

CJM
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Spark plugs are needed to make sure the jetting is correct. To lean and the motor will blow. You read the plug to make sure its not to lean or rich. Erring on the side of rich is better than lean. The rebuild kit is not needed but an adjustable needle really helps you fine tune everything. Plus if the carbs opened up and somethings bad than you can replace it.

Everything should cost you about 30 bucks between the jets, rebuild kit and pilot jet and take about 30 mins to install.