PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable routing

Baileygunns
01-19-2012, 06:53 AM
What are you guys doing to keep the clutch cable from melting on the header? My buddy has a pro circuit header and he's about to buy his 3rd clutch cable since this summer... I tried routing it and zip tieing it but still managed to hit the pipe. Is there a bracket missing or has anyone made a bracket to keep it away or maybe using a plus sized cable and routing it diffently?

Thanks.

DragonGunner
01-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Should be a piece attached to the front motor mount to help, its a thick gauge wire piece that helps to route it. A option is to take some flexibale thick wire an wrap it around the cable to form a shield, then it could rub up against the header without burning.

Baileygunns
01-19-2012, 08:05 AM
I googled it and found one pic where the cable goes under both header pipes then hooks up to the bars.. I came up between the headers and he's missing the bracket. The other 400 I have in the shop is down to the frame so I don't have a complete bike to compare first hand.

I'll have to fab up a little something to hold it better. Any chance you want to snap a couple pics? I can take pics by txt or email...

CJM
01-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Buy a 92 250x cable and route it down the frame near the oil cooler lines. Then never have to worry about a burnt cable.

Baileygunns
01-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Do you know how much longer it is? I was thinking about that while I was looking at it in his garage yesterday... That would make the most sense to me. Keep it low and shoot out straight, then up. Only issue I see is he has a +1 stem with fat bar adapters adding another inch with atv high bend bars. So we're basically looking at +2 over stock bar height and routing that way. I know motion pro will make what ever you want but if I can just grab a 250x cable I will. Eventually he'll get a +2 stem with 1 1/8 clamp and loose the adapter keeping the same height...

He's a sled head and likes to stand all the time, I had to talk him out of raptor high bends because of cable issues, lol...

CJM
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
pretty sure its got plenty of length. Worst case, you return the cable and buy a custom one.

Dibble_Brandon
01-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
What are you guys doing to keep the clutch cable from melting on the header? My buddy has a pro circuit header and he's about to buy his 3rd clutch cable since this summer... I tried routing it and zip tieing it but still managed to hit the pipe. Is there a bracket missing or has anyone made a bracket to keep it away or maybe using a plus sized cable and routing it diffently?

Thanks.

Mine was burnt up so bad when I got it, I just ended up replacing all the brake lines and clutch cable in braided steel... looks way nice, and will last forever

I also zip-tied the clutch cable to the spark plug wire ( the clutch cable has a thin clear plastic coating ) and it hasn't touched the header since...

Baileygunns
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I zip tied to the plug or coil wire, I forget which one... Still hit the header but the pro circuit header is a little bigger, that might be why that didn't work for us..

KKiowaTJ
01-19-2012, 04:35 PM
I have used header wrap tape for the same reasons before. You can wrap the cable housing, Header or both. You can also use a scrap piece of old welding blanket to sleeve the cable in. The only time it looks bad is if the quad is all show and no go. Good luck either way