PDA

View Full Version : Grandson's LT 50

tongy66086
01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
My grandson pulled a really smooth move a while back.
He and I were out on our 4 wheelers, and he drives his into a small pond.
Didn't completely submerge it, but the engine did go under water.
I got all the water out of the engine, put new oil in it and can not get it to start.
I have good spark, and about 120 lbs. compression.
What I do seem to have is a carburator problem. I turn the petcock to the prime, and I have a stream of gas that runs out the air filter.
Anybody have an idea of what is wrong with this?
I appreciate any help that you can ofer.

450R NOOB
01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
I assume by petcock you mean the thing on the gas tank that you turn the gas on and off with? You're probably using the correct term but I want to make sure. Anyway, the bowl in the carb may be stuck which means you should probably pull the carb, clean it, and make sure the bowl move freely and everything moves freely like the piece that moves when the throttle is pushed. Water might have gotten into the carb and cleaning it would be a good idea anyway. Goodluck\

JOHNDOE83
01-19-2012, 05:09 PM
The carb is more then likely gummed up from it, Theres 3 main parts you need to clean.

Take off the carb bowl and remove the main jet and pilot jet, then remove the float and ceet.

Scrub and clean these thuroughly with a tooth brush and degreaser, then spray them out with a air compressor.

spray the carb vent holes and any other orifices on the carb with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, soak it in a lil degreaser then spray out all the holes with a air compressor.

Change the air filter.

Should run great after that.

tongy66086
01-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'm talking about the part on the bottom of the tank, but it doesn't have an on off. It has a run and prime position. In the run, the gas goes to the carb, but in the prime, the line goes directly into the cylinder. Sort of like choking it.
At the moment, the gas line isn't even hooked to the carburator.

wilkin250r
01-21-2012, 01:33 AM
That doesn't sound right at all. Double-check my info, because I'm a little rusty, but what SHOULD be happening is the petcock is vacuum-operated. In the "RUN" position, it doesn't flow until the engine is turning. So it's basically off when the engine is off, and flowing when the engine is running.

The "PRIME" setting is a free-flowing, it doesn't wait for a vacuum signal from the engine. So if your quad has been sitting for an extended period of time, all the fuel in the carburetor bowl will have evaporated, so you would set your petcock to "PRIME" for a few seconds to fill up the float bowl, then into the "RUN" setting once the engine has started. If it has only been a short while since you last ran the engine, the carb bowl most likely still has fuel in it, so the "PRIME" setting would not be necessary.

But all that aside, you could spray a little bit of starting fluid through the carb and into the engine, and see if it will fire up and run for a few seconds. The starting fluid will ignite really easily, so if it fires and runs for a few seconds, then it tells you that you have a fuel problem. It means your engine is perfectly capable of firing and running, it's just not getting fuel. If it still won't fire with the starting fluid, then it's an engine problem, not a fuel problem.

fearlessfred
01-21-2012, 04:47 PM
if fuel is running into the carb and out the air filter with the fuel line off,there is only one other place the fuel can come from. and that is thru the petcock and down the vaccum tube that goes from the petcock/fuelpump to the carb pull the vaccum tube off and see if the fuel is running out. if the floats were stuck the fuel would be running out of a overflow and not out of the aircleaner

jessieherrera
02-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Hello,
Your needle and seat assembly in your float bowl are not working properly. You carburetor is overflowing.
good luck.:)

TaylorTRX
07-21-2012, 09:05 AM
i just went through this crap, if your carb was overflowing it would be coming out of the overflows, its not...apparently when you set the petcock to prime on theses things there is no shut off for it when it reaches a primed stage it just continuously dumps fuel into the motor, filling the motor totally then it pours out of the carb and breather.....

i cannot believe they built it like that, (free flowing) im still checking, mine was fine for 2 weeks but that whole time i never had to pull it more than twice so once its running it doesnt matter it stops pouring fuel and becomes the vacum.

i had three buddys here we cleaned the hell out of the carb i even put 2 different needle and seats from other quads i had and it still does it.....fyi your exhuast pipe is full of fuel and take the spark plug out stand it on the front wheeels and poor out the fuel from the cylinder