PDA

View Full Version : ATV Supercross

87HONDATRX250X
01-18-2012, 06:24 PM
A few quad racers have voiced that they would like to get quads accepted into the AMA supercross series and have started a page with the goal of getting a tone of likes to show the AMA there is interest in it! This would be huge for the atv world and hopefully help grow this sport! Please like the page to show your support and interest if you would like! Click below and LIKE the page!

https://www.facebook.com/ATVsupercross

eastside 400
01-18-2012, 06:44 PM
you do realize that quads wouldnt even make it through the whoop section on an AMA supercross track. Triples would never happen, the on-off tables wouldnt happen. There is no way a quad could race on an AMA supercross track. I do think there needs to be a quad SX series though

danhung11
01-18-2012, 06:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQ0WuyyE_g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

mamaknothead
01-18-2012, 07:10 PM
This would be so sick to have a Quad SX in the USA. How exciting would this be for the sport.

Spread this around to all the quad sites and lets get this out there.

dxcody
01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
you do realize that quads wouldnt even make it through the whoop section on an AMA supercross track. Triples would never happen, the on-off tables wouldnt happen. There is no way a quad could race on an AMA supercross track. I do think there needs to be a quad SX series though

They could run on the same track as the dirtbikes, but your right there wouldnt be any big tripples or on-off tables but they would be able to make their own lines and make it very interesting as to what they would do over the big tripples and what not.

rollie
01-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
They could run on the same track as the dirtbikes, but your right there wouldnt be any big tripples or on-off tables but they would be able to make their own lines and make it very interesting as to what they would do over the big tripples and what not.

Let's also remember that the monster trucks come into the stadiums the week after the SX so they could add another week,and make the track again for quads, this obviously would only happen if the sport got HUGE

A better, more simple choice would be to do what they have done in past years at montreal SX, which is make 2 different tracks that criss cross eachother and use some of the same sections, this was the core of the track is the same but both bikes and quads have tracks that are tailored towards them, smart idea!

mamaknothead
01-18-2012, 08:22 PM
already at 2584 likes and counting

440racer66
01-18-2012, 08:47 PM
this would be awesome for the sport. there were tons of people at the arenacross in charlotte. they included quads and from what i could tell the people in the crowds were diggin the quads too.

BlasterEaten250
01-18-2012, 09:37 PM
I think it would be awesome... only if it was a well designed ATV track. If it was just a bunch of guys rolling half the jumps and whoops then it wouldn't be very exciting, but if there was a track designed for it I bet it could catch some attention!

sexysilverado45
01-18-2012, 10:42 PM
We have quad and bike sx races here in ks on the same track, and quads dominate the whoops and also are able to do the step on step off jumps.

300ex_#387
01-19-2012, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
We have quad and bike sx races here in ks on the same track, and quads dominate the whoops and also are able to do the step on step off jumps.

I'm going to bet that those whoops and step on jumps are not the size of an AMA supercross style.

beastlywarrior
01-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Idk i think with some practice some of the pros might be able to do it but maybe with a little mkre run up

sexysilverado45
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
The whoops are definatley catered to the bikes as they are roughly 8-12 inches in height. The only difference i notice is the whoops are frame grabbers on quads. They are peaked and not rolled like supercross on tv. The step on step off is not nearly as steep of a take off on the face but the step off part is.

I would say that quads would be able to do it given the adequate amount of time to adjust to the differences.

bbender85
01-19-2012, 09:08 AM

^that.

while it would be awesome for the sport, in reality even if quads could do all the same obstacles, how many riders would be doing it? you have full gates of bikes all doing everything out there, and you'd have 3 or 4 guys on quads doing it all maybe... not good for ratings. trust me i am all for some quad SX but it would definitely have to be a different setup.

to be realistic, until we can fill gates at all our outdoor nationals, i think SX is a pipe dream. but i applaud your efforts!

eastside 400
01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
The whoops are definatley catered to the bikes as they are roughly 8-12 inches in height. The only difference i notice is the whoops are frame grabbers on quads. They are peaked and not rolled like supercross on tv. The step on step off is not nearly as steep of a take off on the face but the step off part is.

You realize that an AMA whoop section is roughly 2-3 feet deep whoops that are spread apart. Watching on TV doesnt always make the track appear what it is. The whoops are crazy at a real SX track, there is no way a quad can beat a bike through any kind of whoop section anyway. And the step on isn't the hard part, a step off in SX really doesnt have a lip on it at all, the table just drops off basically, the riders use the suspension compression from landing and basically preload off the end. If they put a quad on a true SX track is would hurt the sport more then anything. Everything is way too peaked for a quad to land anything.

BlasterEaten250
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
You realize that an AMA whoop section is roughly 2-3 feet deep whoops that are spread apart. Watching on TV doesnt always make the track appear what it is. The whoops are crazy at a real SX track, there is no way a quad can beat a bike through any kind of whoop section anyway. And the step on isn't the hard part, a step off in SX really doesnt have a lip on it at all, the table just drops off basically, the riders use the suspension compression from landing and basically preload off the end. If they put a quad on a true SX track is would hurt the sport more then anything. Everything is way too peaked for a quad to land anything. That's what I'm sayin too.

However, I'm sure a track can be designed that would make quads fun to watch too, emphasizing on their strong points like cornering and less on the weak points like whoops. I'd say closer to a track like the MEC.

madskrillz2
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
If you've seen the Montreal Supercross from the last few years you'd know it's possible to build a spectator friendly quad sx track. What I mean is plenty of big jumps whoops etc. It would still have to be a totally different weekend than bikes though. Like everyone else is saying a real AMA supercross track would make everyone outside our sport think our pro riders are amateurs.

catch22blaster
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
that youtube vid of 03 is one like the best one ever track was cool an creech n walsh were doin work. that vid never gets old.

I think quad supercross would be awesome. Id much rather ride indoor stuff my self a series like this is what would greatly help the sport out an get some tv coverage an that big out of sport sponsor that is needed to get it to the next level.

sexysilverado45
01-19-2012, 11:46 AM
I understand that and like I said from what it appears on tv. Quads may not beat them threw the whoops but im willing to bet there's riders that wouldn't be to far off the bikes times given the right amount of time. Also I realize the step on step off could create a problem, and bikes preload off of it, but why not put a small lip on it so the quads could double and bikes could triple or w/e. Its do able its just going to take the ama to first agree,then some one who's motivated to lay the ground work.

dxcody
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
The biggest problem i see is, they are looking to get 500,000 likes on that page to get the AMA attention.

Atvriders.com is one of the most popular atv sites there is hands down, and it has 10K likes on fbook, and 100,000+ members.

I just dont see the sport getting that kindof attention.. Though it would be awesome, i just dont see it happening.

muddy400EX
01-19-2012, 12:26 PM
It could work, but it would not be the same track the bikes run. Bikes and quads are completely different, so they would need different tracks. Bikes need steep poppy jumps, quads need mellow roller jumps.

It could be done and it could be awesome if done right. The tracks could have a couple big sweeping 4th gear turns. The jumps could still be in the 60ft range, just not as steep as bike jumps

They will just never do it unless there is ALOT of interest. And the only way to get it...is to have a SX series:(

fastredrider44
01-19-2012, 12:43 PM
The biggest problem i see is, they are looking to get 500,000 likes on that page to get the AMA attention.

Atvriders.com is one of the most popular atv sites there is hands down, and it has 10K likes on fbook, and 100,000+ members.

I just dont see the sport getting that kindof attention.. Though it would be awesome, i just dont see it happening.

I think you're right. I think the 500,000 likes is way overboard, and I don't think there is a magic number of facebook likes where the AMA is going to drop what theyre doing and start an ATV supercross.

bbender85
01-19-2012, 12:49 PM
just reading the facebook page you can tell by the wording its a few kids with a dream. again, kudos for putting forth the effort, but its going to take alot more than facebook likes to even get their attention.. like real statistics and monetary value.

Smoker
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Companies would be idiots to pass up knowing what people want by ignoring FB or forums. Not that they always listen but planting the seed in someones mind can indirectly get the ball rolling.
I agree on different tracks, but if designed right to be a good show, would still be worth seeing.
Sport quad riders are a small fraction of the population and honestly, were all a little nuttier than most people in one way or another. We still deserve to have good racing on TV lol

sangheraent
01-19-2012, 07:30 PM
I think its a pipe dream. Id like to see a quad series on speed or another big network. I do believe that quad racing is growing and the guys at racertv and vs network are doing a decent job but not a ton of people know about those shows.

I live in canada and no quad racing is shown on any channel I know because I get like 300 of them.

mamaknothead
01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
cant hurt to try.Keep it up and spread the word.

sexysilverado45
01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
/\/\/\/\

This just imagine if everyone of your Facebook friends that may be interested in watching this event(this not including riding buddies) like it. Im sure the majority of people that have liked the page are riders them selves. Im sure they have at least 150-450 or even 500 friends that could like it. If the near 3000 people who have liked this already can get 175 friends to like it thats 525000 likes thats a fairly large body of people demanding something. And this is not including the viewers who would stumble across this if an event like this were to take place.

JUST SAYIN DONT BE SO PESSIMISTIC.

BE A DOER NOT A DOUBTER.

Wills77
01-19-2012, 09:03 PM
this seems like one of the "get quads into the x games petitions" that happens every year

madskrillz2
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM

This. I think it's really bad timing too. Look what is happening to the nationals right now. I doubt they will show much interest when our outdoor series has been going down the drain the last 2-3 years.

dxcody
01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Yea and i really dont get why they dont advertise? I mean I live 40 miles from where the Ironman takes place, and about 25 miles from the INDY 100 GNCC's and they dont announce it on the radio, set up a comercial on tv, post it at gas stations, nothing. I just dont get it.

Warnerade
01-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
/\/\/\/\

This just imagine if everyone of your Facebook friends that may be interested in watching this event(this not including riding buddies) like it. Im sure the majority of people that have liked the page are riders them selves. Im sure they have at least 150-450 or even 500 friends that could like it. If the near 3000 people who have liked this already can get 175 friends to like it thats 525000 likes thats a fairly large body of people demanding something. And this is not including the viewers who would stumble across this if an event like this were to take place.

JUST SAYIN DONT BE SO PESSIMISTIC.

BE A DOER NOT A DOUBTER. actually, it's "be a doer, not a me tooer...close though.

and it'll never happen...if the outdoor season doesn't go big...AMA sanctioned SX is lost in the wind.

mamaknothead
01-20-2012, 07:06 AM
There will always be people with negative veiws but one thing for sure is it will not happen if we don't try.

Keep up the good work and when its over you will know you werent one of those that just complained and did nothing to help the sport grow.

motofreak2772
01-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Who goes to national races other than riders? I think supercross is what makes the money to fund the nationals.. ATV's need something to advertise the sport and start bringing in the money. A supercross series would be cool but riding on the same track as the bikes wouldn't work because of one thing. Quads will mess up the bikes lines. We would need our own time to have a race, and if we did that no one would want to come because they just watched the dirtbikes a week before.
As far as doing the obstacles, I think if the bikes are set up right any thing is possible. What makes dirtbikes able to do whoops where quads can't? I think it probably has to do with the size of the tires. I'm not sure but if we had guys doing testing they could probably figure something out that works, instead of just running the same setup they do for the nationals.
But I think quads need their own thing that will draw in a huge crowd. I thought it would be cool for quads to take over supermoto. I mean you never really see anything about it even with the bikes, and I feel like quads would go just as fast if not faster. It's still kind of an underground sport so if it went mainstream with the quads no one would think of it as the suckier version of the bikes races. A sport like supermoto would bring in the flattrack and the motocross riders as well as the fans. I know I sound irrelevant because this post is about a SX series, but like I said I think finding our own niche would be the best idea to get our sport noticed.

madskrillz2
01-22-2012, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
Who goes to national races other than riders? I think supercross is what makes the money to fund the nationals.. ATV's need something to advertise the sport and start bringing in the money. A supercross series would be cool but riding on the same track as the bikes wouldn't work because of one thing. Quads will mess up the bikes lines. We would need our own time to have a race, and if we did that no one would want to come because they just watched the dirtbikes a week before.
As far as doing the obstacles, I think if the bikes are set up right any thing is possible. What makes dirtbikes able to do whoops where quads can't? I think it probably has to do with the size of the tires. I'm not sure but if we had guys doing testing they could probably figure something out that works, instead of just running the same setup they do for the nationals.
But I think quads need their own thing that will draw in a huge crowd. I thought it would be cool for quads to take over supermoto. I mean you never really see anything about it even with the bikes, and I feel like quads would go just as fast if not faster. It's still kind of an underground sport so if it went mainstream with the quads no one would think of it as the suckier version of the bikes races. A sport like supermoto would bring in the flattrack and the motocross riders as well as the fans. I know I sound irrelevant because this post is about a SX series, but like I said I think finding our own niche would be the best idea to get our sport noticed.

The point about nationals is just the fact that everyone is backing out of our sport. How do you think we're gonna get support for a "supercross" series if that's happening? But you are right about finding our own niche.

rollie
01-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
The point about nationals is just the fact that everyone is backing out of our sport. How do you think we're gonna get support for a "supercross" series if that's happening? But you are right about finding our own niche.

i agree sooo many people jumped off the boat, and i am one of them:ermm: i still stay involved with the NEATV series though, and i think for a while it will stay small and get big again just like it was, but know whos when that will be:ermm:

motofreak2772
01-22-2012, 05:04 PM
I just realized that this whole petition was brought on by a bunch of kids who think mark freeman is the fastest pro in the world because they watch videos of him on youtube...
But yeah I see what you guys are saying about the national series. This sport just needs some money flowing into it before anything can happen. I think someone should really take note of the supermoto idea, there isn't even a series for it is there? I thought I heard there was something about nascar getting involved with atv racing, that would be perfect for the supermoto idea because they could just race at the nascar tracks haha.

rollie
01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
I just realized that this whole petition was brought on by a bunch of kids who think mark freeman is the fastest pro in the world because they watch videos of him on youtube...
But yeah I see what you guys are saying about the national series. This sport just needs some money flowing into it before anything can happen. I think someone should really take note of the supermoto idea, there isn't even a series for it is there? I thought I heard there was something about nascar getting involved with atv racing, that would be perfect for the supermoto idea because they could just race at the nascar tracks haha.

i agree, or another org. like WPSA, but one that is run better and doesnt just leave us stranded, i really think the ATVA/AMA could care less about ATV MX, or SX, these kids want 500,000 likes, thats just unrealistic. supermoto is a pretty awesome idea, but i think a smarter idea(if the ama would listen) is to combine the dirt bikes and ATV MX series together, in one weekend, have the bikes saturday and the quads sunday, that could get people interested, "it's hard to hate up close"! all the bikes hate us and our couches, but when they are together people will see what 4 wheelers can do!

another thing ive said 100 times but i still believe is when kids watch james stewart , they can go to the dealer monday morning and buy a bike that looks exactly like what he rides, and they think they have his bike, if your watching ATV MX and you think cody gibson is the man, and you decide "gee i sure would like one of them there walsh hybrid bikes" then you find out you can buy a whole 450 dirt bike for the price of the chassis of gibsons bike, it takes alot of the appeal out of it

motofreak2772
01-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by rollie
i agree, or another org. like WPSA, but one that is run better and doesnt just leave us stranded, i really think the ATVA/AMA could care less about ATV MX, or SX, these kids want 500,000 likes, thats just unrealistic. supermoto is a pretty awesome idea, but i think a smarter idea(if the ama would listen) is to combine the dirt bikes and ATV MX series together, in one weekend, have the bikes saturday and the quads sunday, that could get people interested, "it's hard to hate up close"! all the bikes hate us and our couches, but when they are together people will see what 4 wheelers can do!

another thing ive said 100 times but i still believe is when kids watch james stewart , they can go to the dealer monday morning and buy a bike that looks exactly like what he rides, and they think they have his bike, if your watching ATV MX and you think cody gibson is the man, and you decide "gee i sure would like one of them there walsh hybrid bikes" then you find out you can buy a whole 450 dirt bike for the price of the chassis of gibsons bike, it takes alot of the appeal out of it
Yeah, racing together would change a lot of dirtbikers minds about quads, but it can get tricky running a program like that. My idea about supermoto is just for publicity. Just like supercross. You can watch it on TV but you can't just ride down the rode and find a supercross track. It is one of those things the pros do for money and the fans. I still think the real racing takes place in the middle of no where at a motocross track because that is what these guys have grown up doing. I want the quads to have a similar set up, where the pros race supermoto on TV but still run the nationals when the cameras stop rolling(even though fuel has been on the dirtbikes national scene lately).

BlasterEaten250
01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by rollie
but i think a smarter idea(if the ama would listen) is to combine the dirt bikes and ATV MX series together, in one weekend, have the bikes saturday and the quads sunday, that could get people interested, "it's hard to hate up close"! all the bikes hate us and our couches, but when they are together people will see what 4 wheelers can do!
I think this is a great idea. It would bring even more people to each national because people will be going for the weekend anyways. All the quad guys would go to watch the bikes and some of the bike guys would stay to watch the quads. Sounds like a win win to me!

Of course things like parking and other things would need to be expanded, but isn't that the point? To bring more people?

beastlywarrior
01-23-2012, 06:12 PM
http://youtu.be/5oVGEf_wWqw

muddy400EX
01-24-2012, 05:16 AM
Yeah, racing together would change a lot of dirtbikers minds about quads, but it can get tricky running a program like that. My idea about supermoto is just for publicity. Just like supercross. You can watch it on TV but you can't just ride down the rode and find a supercross track. It is one of those things the pros do for money and the fans. I still think the real racing takes place in the middle of no where at a motocross track because that is what these guys have grown up doing. I want the quads to have a similar set up, where the pros race supermoto on TV but still run the nationals when the cameras stop rolling(even though fuel has been on the dirtbikes national scene lately).

outdoors is still my favorite too. It just seems more raw than SX.

Motocross is a race, Supercross is an event

funyun
01-24-2012, 07:59 AM
3,800 likes.... They will be at 500,000 any day now lol

dxcody
01-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by funyun
3,800 likes.... They will be at 500,000 any day now lol

haha

tjsdaname
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM

no it isn't.....

the guy that started this is a canadian pro himself....

beastlywarrior
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Ya look at my link hes friends with freeman actually

01boneless
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
tyler summers (cmrc pro) started this and one of his buddys. and he is friends with mark and imho way faster lmao but thats not what this is about :devil: