PDA

View Full Version : how do you pit overnight?

sangheraent
01-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I am about to get into racing and was wondering the best solution to pit overnight. I know most people have toy haulers or campers, I have neither. I have a pickup truck and a flat bed trailer.

I know I could pack up and stay in a hotel but then I would be paranoid all night about somebody stealing my bike/truck (especially when I am so far away).

I was thinking about buying an el-cheapo camper and using my flatbed trailer.

What setups do you guys have that are not super expensive?
Pictures would be nice.

sexysilverado45
01-18-2012, 04:34 PM
If it were just me I would just put my quad in the bed then head to the race. I'd sleep in the bed depending on the weather or sleep in the back seat and chain and lock my quad to the frame of my pickup . I hate pulling a trailer because im always worried about my tranny.

sangheraent
01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
well Thats what I would like to do problem is its usually 2 nights and if I do that I need to bring cooking equipment or some way to make food and if it rains during the day I am pretty much hooped.

Average track distance from home is about 6 hours.

yfm250rider
01-18-2012, 04:53 PM
once you start racing and meet people and make friends they may open there campers up to you and for food junk food lots of water and propane mini grill works wonders

sangheraent
01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by yfm250rider
once you start racing and meet people and make friends they may open there campers up to you and for food junk food lots of water and propane mini grill works wonders I hope so I am East Indian and been racing since 06 lets just say when big James talks about racist stories I can relate to a couple of them.

I think my 2 big options are buy a camper or buy a travel trailer and cut a door in the back.

slightlybent47
01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by yfm250rider
once you start racing and meet people and make friends they may open there campers up to you and for food junk food lots of water and propane mini grill works wonders

I agree, and as far as food goes, most tracks are close to some kind of place to eat and the gate usually stays open till 10:00 pm.
Some tracks will allow a food vender to come in on race day and sell food.
If your going to be pulling a trailer anyway (your flat bed) why not get a cheap cargo trailer? Sell the flat bed and get a cargo trailer so you can camp in the trailer.
That’s the only way to go if you ask me. There lockable so you can stop and eat and not worry about your stuff getting swiped when you’re not looking.

sangheraent
01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
I want a cargo trailer like nobody's business. But my flat bed is only worth about 5-600. And we use it for our 2 dune trips per year. I would like to pick up a 6x12 trailer but it would take me a while to come up with that cash.

I'm a university student so I am broke.

finsteratv
01-18-2012, 05:16 PM
if you have to use a flat bed..cable lock them to the trailer. lock em together put a pad lock through the rear caliper..Get that sucker tight!! park in a well lit area. when we go to the dunes we're right by the highway at a hotel and we put 2 KTM dirtbikes in the bed and towed our enclosed trailer too.

slightlybent47
01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
A lot of people I camp with just pitch a tent but there are times when a tent is ruff going.
My trailer is always open for friends to use, most are just looking for a place to change there cloths.
Most of the local races will cancel if the weather turns bad so at that point you just pack up and leave.
Sometimes we have a BBQ or pot luck and everyone pitches in. but we also sometimes load up and all go to a restaurant and eat.

rollie
01-18-2012, 07:48 PM
i could never afford a big motor home or a toy hauler, so i pulled a 7x14 trailer behind my truck, put everything in there, took out what i could when i got there, left the bike outside (up untill 2 years ago up here in new england we would leave our quads all over the place at night and go get them in the morning, when someone got one stolen we locked them all up) pump up the air mattress' , crank the propane heater with a CO detector in there and sleep like a baby, best part is i retired last year, got rid of ALL of it in a couple months and have no payments:cool:

Buddy of mine quit two years ago and is now upside down on his raptor toy hauler, with $800 a month payments:eek: soooo glad me somewhat "roughing" it was a blessing in disguise.

so save up for a 6x12, and for now go make some friend's and sleep in their sweet motor homes and be jealous, but thankful!

slightlybent47
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I put off doing any mods on the bike and rode bone stock for the first year so I could get a cargo trailer. It was worth the wait! Having an enclosed trailer is well worth saving up for.

beastlywarrior
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
tent or we recently picked up a cheap slide in for my truck

440racer66
01-18-2012, 08:54 PM
an enclosed the best way to keep your stuff safer. i say this because i had a few buddys get there bikes stolen from muddy creek. just anyway you can make it hard on someone to steal it is a good idea. and are you talking about a flat bed truck or trailor. because a few of my buddys rigged a lil shack on a trailor and had a redneck toy hauler. im in the process of building mine just to camp at the steele creek gncc. haha its gonna be the baddest 400 dollar camper there..

b0rn c0nfused
01-18-2012, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
an enclosed the best way to keep your stuff safer. i say this because i had a few buddys get there bikes stolen from muddy creek. just anyway you can make it hard on someone to steal it is a good idea. and are you talking about a flat bed truck or trailor. because a few of my buddys rigged a lil shack on a trailor and had a redneck toy hauler. im in the process of building mine just to camp at the steele creek gncc. haha its gonna be the baddest 400 dollar camper there..
Post some picture of that when you finish it lol I wanna see it.

sangheraent
01-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I think my two favorite options are a cheapo camper on my truck or renting an enclosed trailer. renting is about 150 a race weekend. would make gas+fees+food+rental close to 450-500 per race weekend. Kind of steep.

a camper would be around 500 for a year and i should be able to sell it for that much when I get enough coin to buy an enclosed. would be around 200-250 per race weekend.

camper would probably be a little more gas per trip but I think both options would be the same plus I can sell the camper after and the rental fees are just gone with the wind.

I like the camper because it "could" have kitchen, decent mattress, fridge, stove, washroom. But the bike will be outside all night, Im not that worried because I am right beside it (A chain should do the trick).

hrc450er
01-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Look on like craiglist, ive seen 6x12 go for around 1200 for a used one. If u can afford to race then skip a few of the first ones save that cash and put it with selling ur trailer and you will have the money

Kovatch
01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
It was always funny at the Nationals. Everyone has nice toy haulers, Renegades, enclosed trailers, etc. Then, there was my group. F150 with a 14' open air trailer, pitch two tents and have a nice 12x16 (or close) EZ-Up.

We would have a pressure washer, 270 gal tank, generator, two or three quads, spare parts, tires, coolers, grille, etc. We park the quads under the EZ-up and use ratchet straps to each bike, pull the grill under there, etc.

I have worried about theft, but what can you do? The tools get locked in the back of the truck, spare parts are in the bed, and we haven't had any issues. (knock on wood). There seems to be enough overnight activity to prevent theft, but there is always some jerk out there.

Just last year, We started going to the races in a 6x12 or a 40' toy hauler. I sitll leave a lot of stuff out at night, but the bike does remain locked up. I think it is easier with an enclosed as you can just pile in all the stuff, but open air is more economical...

alaska450r
01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
You might try getting a "truck tent' for the back of your pickup truck. I have used one in the past and they are a pretty good alternative if you can't afford an enclosed trailer or camper. If it rains you are all good because you are well off the ground and they come with a rain fly that directs the water away. I got mine at Cabellas and it is extremely good quality.

beastlywarrior
01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
i remember one time seeing someone that made a vertical lift tonneau cover that you could put your quad under or lift up enough to where you could stand up under it and it had an attachable tent with a bed going off both sides

sangheraent
01-19-2012, 02:40 PM
truck tents look nice, but for $200 I would rather pitch the tent I already have on top of my flat bed. I also have a smaller tent that fits inside my truck box.

I could probably buy a cheap travel trailer and throw the quad in the truck box I "could" modify the trailer to hold tools, parts and have a work bench.

Tommy Warren
01-19-2012, 05:17 PM
put a cap on the back of the truck with a matress inside. lock the hitch on the trailer and chain the quad to the trailer....all you have to worry about then is parts being stolen off the quad

trailrider894
01-19-2012, 08:26 PM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/FishPOET/TC/P0004377.jpg

This is what my dad and I did back when i was in high school... Its not my exact setup, just a google image, but it was close. My old man abought an rv, so now we use my 16ft Enclosed... ha ha

sangheraent
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
i dont see anything I think you forgot to post it. I would really like to see it haha.