PDA

View Full Version : welding hoods?

woodsracer144
01-18-2012, 01:17 PM
alright I've been looking to upgrade my hood, I have just a cheap hobart auto dark hood and now im almost done with school I want a nice hood because it will be nice to have something with adjustable shades and what not but at the same time I dont want to break the bank.

I know the speedglas and miller elite are two of the more popular but I found out that Lincoln has some good hoods out there.

I know from people I personally know very well that when they would weld pipe with the speedglas or weld for long periods of time it would over heat and then just stay tinted and not lighten up.

I haven't heard much on the elite or the Lincolns. I was looking at the 3350 or the 2450. but worried about where the sensor placement and how it would effect the hood, I know the speedglas that my friends were having the most problems with had vertical sensors on each side of the lens

thanks for the help

Tommy Warren
01-19-2012, 05:26 PM
what?:huh

250x_kyle
01-19-2012, 05:38 PM
read reviews and spend the money now.

Ruby Soho
01-19-2012, 06:40 PM
^ basically lol.

i have a nice miller auto darken for my personal use, but at work i use the cheap lincoln non auto darken because they get the **** beat out of them. either way just do some homework on them. if your spending the money, youll get a nice helmet

ridehonda400ex
01-19-2012, 09:44 PM
I have the harbor freight auto darkening. works great, 0 problems and best part is....50 bucks:) who needs to pay for a name?

FHKracingZ
01-20-2012, 12:10 AM
I bought a fancy speed glass when I finished my welding degree from school. One drop from 50ft off a ladder at a brewery ended that hood. Ill stick to the cheap jackson ones for $20.

woodzrider
01-20-2012, 01:35 AM
Jackson nexgen is what I wear at work. Pretty durable. Comfortable. No complaints. Personal use I wear a miller elite non digital. It was about 260$. Definetly lighter than the jackson. The sensor isn't as good imo. I can definitely speak for the jacksons durability I beat the **** out of mine at work. I work in a shop no heights butt its get thrown about once a week.

mirror_racing
01-20-2012, 04:48 AM
I tink it depends on the type of welding your doing. For simple MIG welding a harbor freight one would be just fine. The Lincoln Viking helmets are all supposed to be good but they are not out of position helmets so you have to be somewhat careful with them. The 3450's have four sensors on them so even in tight spaces they should pick up the arc.

FHKracingZ
01-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Yea, I dont even use a auto-dark. Just a flip. Again it depends on what type of welding and where you are at. When your doing sanitary pipe welding and alot of in place welds on ladders and heights, having a nice helmet gets dropped alot haha.

fastredrider44
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
I use a cheapo flip hood at work and for stick welding at home. Also have a Jackson auto-dark for the more tedious stuff. Nothing but good to say about it.

SRH
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
i just use a harbor freight one with blue flame stickers, auto darkening, i think it was 20-30.....what reasoning is there to buy an expensive one?

woodsracer144
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I got a Lincoln 3450 yesterday. I have a hobart that doesnt have any adjustments as far as the shade and delay and I also have a cheapo jackson.

the head band broke a few weeks back on my hobart and I'm not use to flipping my head for the jackson's

I've got 2 semesters of class yet. one full one and then the other one half semester.

i plan on going to Wy. and hopefully welding on rail cars.

the speedglas just isnt worth the 390 IMO.

thanks for the replys. I'll let you know how that 3450 works.. today was the first day welding with it. I still have some dialing in to do as far as delay and all that.

HondaPohl
01-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Speedglas here. Works good.

Pacheco_450r
01-22-2012, 01:20 PM
I love my Jackson Boss helmet

chucked
01-22-2012, 03:01 PM
I have a nice speed weld helmet, not sure on the model but it was a pretty penny and has all the bells and whistles. Only issue I have is the goofball 12v battery it uses.

Thumpin440ex
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Speed glass here.. It is my 2nd one, no probs at all..

John

One_Bad_400
02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I work in my Hobart fixed shade auto darken. Because of what was said before, they get the crap beat out of them. But honestly I love the hood. But I do have a nice miller elite hood I keep at home for tig welding which is very nice helmet