PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding my motor

12-07-2001, 10:17 PM
my ex started smoking about a week ago so i quit riding it, everyone said it was probably just the rings and i wouldnt need to get it bored, that true? Anyway, can i add a wiseco piston even if i dont get it bored, will it make much of a difference? Is there a better company then wiseco? the shop is also going to get it ported+polished and a 3 angle valve job. after i get it back im going to get a pipe, probably curtis sparks, maybe slip on, jet kit, and air filter. any suggestions on the rebuild, what i should or shouldnt do? thanks

inacoma91
12-08-2001, 12:56 AM
I have ran Wiseco pistons in 2strokes and never had any problems. Some people dont like them as much as JE. Supposly i think they are lighter. I am going with a JE when i do my top end.

Andrew
Thunder Racing

Tommy 17
12-08-2001, 08:24 AM
u can put in a stock bore je 10.8:1 piston for around 130$ and it will give u a noticable differnce. the only thing is if u run a valve job, porting, piston and everything and no cam its like not even worth it so ur gonna want to throw in a cam... get the xr400 cam its 120$ from marcums. when u do this ur gonna notice a big differnce. if u wanna jump up to a bore kit like a 406 or 416 its like 50$ more if that. if ur gettin a kit done by a shop look to pay around 800$ thats what my 406 kit cost.

alot of people don't like wisecos they are heavier and someone told me the swell easy... i would def go je 10.8:1 over wiseco.

if u want a great kit its gonna cost u around 1600$. 800 for the piston, cam, porting, vavle job. then its goin to be like 400$ to 500$ for a pipe and about another 400$ for a carb and u will have a bad *** machine...

12-08-2001, 08:40 AM
400ex21, thanks for the reply. I dont want to spend a bunch of money on this because my budget is kinda tight. What if i go with a stock bore je 10.8:1, porting+polishing, xr400 cam, like u recomended. the shop charges 45$ an hour, and they can get the machine work done for around $130. Im only wanting to spend around $400 on motor work. Then get the pipe, air filter, etc after i get it back. thanks

barbwire44
12-08-2001, 08:58 AM
If youre bike has already started smokin due to ring wear, I would definately suggest boring the cylinder. Even if you hone it and put a new piston and rings in, it will not have the compression it should, if you wait until you're motor starts smokin to change rings you have waited to long. I would go 406 je for 115.oo and 20.00 in gaskets then add 120.00 for the xr cam and if youre gonna get a valve job done i would go 1mm larger on the intake valves and definately install viton valve seals. Then plan on rejetting and holding on. :devil

12-08-2001, 09:07 AM
barbwire44, were did u get those prices at? id like to look at the 406 je kit, i basically want something cheaper but effective
thanks

12-08-2001, 09:13 AM
Hey man, I would just order a bigger piston and a better cam ( take your pick) and scrap the port and polish stuff for now. You don't need it. You can get a piston +.080 (416) for $99. Get a cam for $130 - $170. My bore job cost me $35.
You'll like this set-up believe me!!

TrX465
12-08-2001, 10:28 AM
go with je there the best

12-08-2001, 10:30 AM
A couple of things to consider first. Does the bike smoke all of the time or just for awhile after start-up? If after start-up check your valve seals. If it smokes all of the time is it oil smoke or is it fuel smoke? Have you had the compression checked? If it is bad rings then I would suggest boring it to a 416, adding the xr cam, go ahead with the head work, and for the money buy the wiesco piston. JE is good but not worth the money difference unless you have it to spend.

TrX465
12-08-2001, 10:40 AM
true go ahead with the wiesco..........but then i beat yo *** up the hill , you wish you would have got je......:p just messin man just get a piston and get yo stuff runing right....

Tommy 17
12-08-2001, 12:14 PM
well if i were u i would throw out the 3 angle vavle job and just get a play porting... i got full race porting on my motor and it cost 220$. i remember people saying play porting is 50... so if u get the play porting here would be ur prices....

play porting $ 50
piston je 10.8:1 $121
xr400cam $120
gasket kit $ 20
oil $ 20
Oil filter $ 6
TOTAL $337

thats basically base of the line job... u can up grade it in many ways but thats basically as cheap as ur goin to get it...
that deal is from marcums and u will even get another 5% and free shipping if u tell him ur from exriders....

12-08-2001, 01:06 PM
400ex21, thanks for the info. Should i get it bored also? they said in a earlier post that if it was already smoking all the time then it wont hold the compression it should unless i get it bored. what exactly is a 3 angle valve job and play porting? I will be ordering all my stuff from marcums, seems to have the best prices and free shipping, is there anything else i will need? anything i have to buy with the cam or anything like that? What kind of a difference will i notice with that combo, once i jet it, and does the cam make a sound difference like id does on cars? thanks

12-09-2001, 07:05 PM
My 2 cents, if you're going to tear the engine down to put in a new piston get it bored 020 over at least. The pistons are the same price usually for oversize and the boring is relatively cheap compared to taking your engine back apart later because it smokes or the piston slaps. I put a Wiseco high compression piston in our 300 and it seems alright. I'm sure there are lighter ones but unless you are going all the way with a mega buck engine build I doubt if the difference would be noticable. Also the 3 angle valve jobs and big buck porting need a lot of other things to support them like a cam and pipe with air box mods and re jetting. Make sure you get what you really need at this point.