PDA

View Full Version : rear master cylinder

biggfurm6881
01-17-2012, 07:09 PM
is there a different rear master cylinder we can go to for a 2010 apex long travel 90 it has a red one on it and they just keep going out im am on my third one, just tired of buying these you would think they would last more than 6 months just my thought though maybe im wrong

chunky0071
01-18-2012, 07:42 AM
YFZ450 rear master cylinder will fit it you can pick them up on ebay cheap!

biggfurm6881
01-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Is there any certain year that you know of

chunky0071
01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
They are the same. I have put on 5 or 6 you need to change the rod out on them but other than that they bolt right up.

MAXRPM
01-19-2012, 11:41 AM
We have one that is much better than the stock one, it is gold vs red plenty in stock if someone needs one. No mods needed just bolt it on and go.

Also as a tech tip, the rear on an Apex is extremely hard to bleed out when changing masters. When you bleed it, pick up the rear of the ATV at a steep angle and it will bleed out much faster. Sometimes impossible to bleed even with power bleeder when quad is level; picking up the rear will make your life a whole lot easier sometimes.

chunky0071
01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
We had one of the gold ones do the same thing.

Justin there is a better way to bleed them.

To bleed any rear atv brakes go to your local drug store pick up a large 50cc syringe. Remove your brake reservoir leaving your line. Remove plunger from syringe and insert into reservoir hose. Put a small clear hose or the brake bleed nipple and open. Fill syringe with brake fluid and slowly push the fluid. When the bubbles stop coming out keep pushing and close the bleeder. And your done less time and your system is flushed and clean.
This works with any brakes that have a remote reservoir !

chunky0071
01-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by chunky0071
We had one of the gold ones do the same thing.

Justin there is a better way to bleed them.

To bleed any rear atv brakes go to your local drug store pick up a large 50cc syringe. Remove your brake reservoir leaving your line. Remove plunger from syringe and insert into reservoir hose. Put a small clear hose or the brake bleed nipple and open. Fill syringe with brake fluid and slowly push the fluid. When the bubbles stop coming out keep pushing and close the bleeder. And your done less time and your system is flushed and clean.
This works with any brakes that have a remote reservoir !

When done correctly your brakes will be pressurized and ready to go! I have used this method for years on the rear brakes and seems to be the fastest and by fare the easiest way for me.

MAXRPM
01-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Agreed, if you push the fluid forward it is easier if you have the syringe or bottle to do it. When assembling new lines etc I use this method as well. If you don't use previous method, but even with syringe you still have a small amount of air that needs to be bled.
There are different brands of gold ones but only one brand of red one (which are really bad). I have sold many of mine and installed numerous to replace the red one and never had one fail. Is it possible? I am sure but have yet to have one fail.

chunky0071
01-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Agreed on the really bad red ones.

If you use a clear hose on the caliper nipple you can remove all of the air. I use the yfz one because I know it is quality nothing against any of the others besides the red ones!

nordic quad
01-19-2012, 01:37 PM
We used a golden one from an 07 and made it fit our Apex 2011.If possible the red ones are even worse on the 2011 then on the 2010.Good advice from you guys on bleeding the rear,they can be a pain.
Stein A

biggfurm6881
01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Hey thank you for all the help got the gold one Friday night at the race track we where at glen Helen for our opening round of the worcs series and my daughter finished 2nd in the 70 production and 3rd in the 70 open class first time on the podium and on her 8th b-day one happy dad

chunky0071
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Glad to hear it. Congrates