PDA

View Full Version : Motoworks exhaust repacking?

quadmanw
01-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Anyone ever repack a Motoworks exhaust? it has revits so i dno how that would be done..

duneslider
01-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Drill the rivets out

Rohr397
01-17-2012, 05:59 PM
I GUARANTEE you if you email them they will guide you in the right direction. I've been working with them for awhile and they're really on top of customer service. DONT DRILL THEM OUT. Idiot did that to the Pro Circuit pipe I used to have and the end cap was never as tight as it was from factory.

My guess, because I haven't done mine or looked at it, would be that you unscrew the back of the end cap (Three bolts), then look at the part of the can near the headpipe and those will probably be allen heads not rivets. Take those off and gently separate that from the headpipe, which is also attached to the core. It should slide off leaving the remains of the packing and the core behind.

Finally when you do figure all that out and get ready to repack, any packing will do really. The best thing I can tell you is to get some form of tape that melts really easily, put the packing on the core and wrap the tape around it to get the packing AS TIGHT as you can, do this over and over until it's enough to fill the inside of the can. When you put it all back together and run the bike the tape will burn off and your pipe will be extremely tightly packed. A friend of mine has a ex-supercross mechanic from factory Kawasaki that does this to his stock pipe and his bike kills all the modded 450's he races against, plus it lasts a lot longer.

duneslider
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Many exhaust do come with only rivets. Obviously, if it has the small Allen screws you don't want to drill them. If you do have rivets you can drill them out, tap the holes, and install some stainless button head screws.

Rockymountainatv has a great video tutorial on repacking. I personally use masking tape to hold the packing together.

Crosshairs
01-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by duneslider
Many exhaust do come with only rivets. Obviously, if it has the small Allen screws you don't want to drill them. If you do have rivets you can drill them out, tap the holes, and install some stainless button head screws.

Rockymountainatv has a great video tutorial on repacking. I personally use masking tape to hold the packing together.

Yep, the FMF on my dirt bike needed to have the rivets drilled out and then replaced with screws......if there are no screws there already, it will need to be drilled....just be sure and use a bit that's as small as possible while still being able to drill out the center of the rivet...too big of a bit and the pipe will be screwed up

Its really pretty easy once you have done it once

kt1148
01-17-2012, 07:33 PM
The repack kit from Motoworks comes with new rivets and the bands the rivets go through. It's real simple.:)http://www.motoworks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=193

Rohr397
01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
^See no need to mess with it and rig something together!

quadmanw
01-17-2012, 07:58 PM
so just get the motoworks packing and rivets and drill the old ones out gently repack it, use tape and then put the new rivets in, pretty much

kt1148
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
You won't need tape. Just slide the new packing over the insert. If you get the Motoworks kit, it'll have directions. Only extra thing you will need is some rtv silicone to seal the mid-pipe end.

Rohr397
01-17-2012, 08:26 PM
You won't need tape.

You don't "need" tape but it makes the power increase oooohhhh so much sweeter! Plus it sounds great. Basically what it does is straight pipe it cause the packing is so tight but it still muffles the sound, just not the flow of the exhaust. :D trust me it's beastly, here's what my friends Kx450f sounds like after he did that type of packing, it sounds distorted in the video because it's so loud but it's really crisp in person.

quadmanw
01-17-2012, 09:13 PM
What kind of tape should I use? And should I tape all of packing once I slid it on? Won't the tape melt and then not do anything? Lol

Stickman400
01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by quadmanw
What kind of tape should I use? And should I tape all of packing once I slid it on? Won't the tape melt and then not do anything? Lol That's the point. You want to get as much packing wrapped around the core as you can and still have it fit inside the canister, that's what the tape is for, to hold it all tight. Then once you get it all back together and you get it warm enough the tape burns up and the packing automatically expands and is the shape of your pipe.

Rohr397
01-17-2012, 10:21 PM
A buddy of mine used electrical tape when he did his. I use packing tape (like packing boxes, not to be confused with a non-existent tape for packing pipes lol). Really anything that melts up quickly. Obviously duct tape or something like that might not burn off and do what you want.

But yeah the idea is to pack the pipe with layers of packing and tape so you get it as tight as possible. Then the tape burns off and the packing tries to expand but it's extremely tight so it fills the canister to it's maximum. This makes it so there's no space for the exhaust to escape into the canister and instead it flows straight through the core and out the exhaust pipe. If you pack it by just wrapping packing around the core and using a piece or two of tape to wrap it on like most videos show, it isn't bad for it. This way just boosts performance even more. Either way I think electrical tape might be the best option.

And to clarify you're not doing it like it shows in videos. Wrap a piece on, tighten it down by WRAPPING IT TIGHTLY AND COVERING ALL OF THE PACKING, then repeat until no longer necessary. I really emphasize that part because you can't wrap the ends and center you have to wrap all of the way around and cover the whole piece of packing. If my packing wasn't fresh I do mine and upload pics :/

quadmanw
01-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Alright I understand it fully now. Not too hard. I just have to buy packing that's not a sleeve. I think motoworks packing is a sleeve

Rohr397
01-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah it looks that way to me too, we usually just buy the FMF stuff you find at dealerships, it's all basically the same material.

duneslider
01-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Really not trying to be a jerk but I highly doubt this amazing tape wrap job and getting a little extra packing in the silencer makes much if any difference. Certainly, a stock 450 with miracle packing isn't going to make more power than a modified 450? That's just silly, but certainly worlds greatest supercross mechanics may have magic packing so they don't have to do expensive engine work to modify the bike.

I would love to see some dyno runs to prove me wrong. I would bet a packing job there is little to no difference.

If motoworks makes a kit specific for your silencer and the cost is reasonable I would do that.

Rohr397
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Well for one his stock Kawi silencer has a dB rating of 108 now so it obviously is doing something there. All they did was jet it and modify the pipe like that. He won the 450 B class at Washougal, 2-1 scores, and killed every other 450 going up Horsepower Hill.

duneslider
01-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Really wasn't trying to call anyone out or be a jerk. It certainly could help the dB score.

I guess I can save my money and not buy a cam, high comp piston, or get porting done. I will just pack my silencer really tight and go make fools of everyone.

You certain your buddies win didn't have more to do with great suspension setup, better tire selection, picking good lines, proper jetting, and great skills? Than how tight he packed his muffler?

I certainly could be totally wrong, it happens quite often. I guess until Myth Busters runs a show on this we will never know.

kt1148
01-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by duneslider

If motoworks makes a kit specific for your silencer and the cost is reasonable I would do that. X2...Would also bet the Motoworks would last longer.

Rohr397
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
I am certain. If you've ever seen horsepower hill before then you'd know it's an all out drag race up the hill. His bike has two mods done, jetting and silencer packing, that way he's also the fastest in stock class.

I'd still buy the kit for the rivets and stuff but packing is packing... Ive never heard of some kind of special packing before.

And it really does have an impact, it's like straight piping your quad/dirtbike and letting the flow reach it's maximum. There's evidence that shows with the right jetting you can get more out of a straight pipe, so if that's not enough proof I'll have to do it and go get a dyno.