PDA

View Full Version : PLS HLP ETON 90 no power to climb dunes

jrns281
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Hi Guys,

First I must say I have been reading on here and gained some valuable advice when dealing with my kids quads and it is greatly appreciated. I have an lt80 and an Eton 90. My problem is that the eton 90 just has a hard time climbing sand dunes while the lt 80 does not. I can see the eton slowly start to lose power going up the hill, ala the "little train that could" and we have to tow it up. The bike is all stock and with the excep of a Unifilter. The bike just seems to bog or run as if it was running rich but when I check the plug it is fine (rust color) and not wet or black. Being an 05, it has the dial setting CDI. Any help would be greatly appreciate by both me and my son. I don't know if the fact that my son is nearly 100 lbs has a great deal to to with it because when he uses the LT 80 he is able to climb the hills.

1. Cleaned Carb
2. Added Unifilter in stock air box
3. Changed plug
4. remove spark arrestor
5. tested compression and it is holder at 105 PSI WOT
6. checked Ignition Coil with volmeter and it was below specs, so I replaced it.

As far as it looks, the clutch housing has never been removed.

Hetrick Racing
01-27-2012, 07:07 AM
The clutch probably needs serviced ,or even install a clutch kit .
This very common for the Eton the parts to fix this are very reasonable.

Give us a call 814-676-0477

LT80
01-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Rich,
I mentioned to him to service the clutchs and check the screen in the pipe.
He hasn't let us know any results yet.

jrns281
01-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Sorry, guys got called away from the state. So I took your advice and checked the clutch. I went ahead and purchased some new rollers for it (4.75gm) and a new clutch kit for the rear with a KOSO 1500 torque spring. The small clutch shoe springs are also 1500's. So I fired up the bike (without the cover) inside the garage and the variator is not opening up, the rollers are not pushing it out and the belt stays at the lowest point hugging the cyclinder between the variator and the fan. Any ideas? Again bike is stock and so is the pipe. I also checked the rear pulley upon disassembling it to replace the torque spring. the pulley opens up nice and smoothly with no problems.

Thanks again for the great advice and knowledge you guys bring to the table. It is much appreciated by guys like me.

LT80
01-27-2012, 08:31 AM
IMO, stock motor=stock springs and stock roller weight.
You may want to lighten the roller weight slightly for sand. Maybe 1/2 - 1 gram.
How about that screen in the pipe?

jrns281
01-27-2012, 08:40 AM
OK,

I removed the arrestor screen from the pipe but ran the same. So You would recommend using the stock roller weights to start ( I believe they are around 8 gms). OK will try that and mayb work down from there as you said, trying a 7 or 6.5 roller weight.

With every question I pose I am learning more and more about CVT's

Thanks.

jrns281
01-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Also, the OEM torque spring was really soft to compress. I will try the stock roller weights with the 1500 T.S. and see how it goes.

chunky0071
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
4.75 is way to lite for a 1500 spring in that motor. I can tell you that much for sure. Your stock weights will be much closer to the right weight. 1500 after market is real close to the stock spring new.