PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Welding

rbgnwa45
01-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Is anyone here an underwater welder? What's it like? I heard they pay well ($100000-$200000/annual), and that there are multiple dangers associated with heightened pressure on the body. The college welding course near me is very short - 1 year.

400exrip
01-17-2012, 12:12 PM
I have heard they give you like a $1,000 as soon as you jump in the water. But yeah that stuff is dangerous.

fastredrider44
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
I bet insurance is high. The life expectancy is low on a job like that. Most don't stay in it long enough to matter though. Underwater welding is a different animal than regular welding though. I doubt you can get trained to underwater weld in 1 year.

Pappy
01-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I'd rank that right with the guys that climb those towers...not for me LOL:D

CJM
01-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I'd rank that right with the guys that climb those towers...not for me LOL:D

You and me both. Welding in itself is quite dangerous, now mix that with being underwater and working on things that could crush you if something goes wrong..not for me either. hell I think climbing the towers more appealing

TheLane
01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
I have a cousin that does underwater welding and he says it is rediculously intimidating. Your held accountable for your welds for at least a year so you have to make sure they are perfect.

and a good weld is tough, let alone in murky water in pitch black.

Ruby Soho
01-17-2012, 08:45 PM
my dad was going to do that. but family was an issue, your away from home all the time.

its cool stuff for sure. im not sure the welding itself is more difficult, but you just have to get used to being underwater... lol easier said than done. but welding is all about being comfortable, and im not sure how comfortable you can get doing that job

89trx250r
01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Hard trade to get into but if your good you can make plenty of money

slainwarrior
01-18-2012, 09:19 AM
one of my buddies did underwater welding for almost 2 years then stopped cause it just got to stressful. he was making 150$ to 300$ an hour depending on the depth he was at and he would be underwater for 4-8 hour shifts.. but within a few months he bought a brand new truck cash a new dirtbike a streetbike he was loaded with cash was making it faster then he could spend it.

ATVMX33
01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
ive thought about trying to get into it as well

rbgnwa45
01-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I doubt you can get trained to underwater weld in 1 year.

It's for regular welding.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_do_under_water_welders_make

http://brassmein.com/articles/underwater.htm

So... insane money vs death. :scary:

trailrider894
01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I know a guy who was an Underwater Welder in the Navy, he worked on submarines... He did it for 5 years, with out incident.. Its all about not making stupid mistakes.

rbgnwa45
01-18-2012, 02:42 PM
I read that with the advancements in technology it's much safer. I suppose a lot can go wrong, but it's mostly the persons fault... maybe...

Ralph
01-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Here is a sample job posting which should give you an idea of what is required for this type of a job.

I know a few divers and they are definitely a very particular type of person. It is extremely demanding both physically and mentally.

======================================

Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense and aerospace industries. Oceaneering's business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspections, mobile offshore production systems, and engineering and project management.

Works below the surface of water, using surface supplied commercial diving or saturation diving to inspect, repair, remove, or install equipment and structures. Will use a variety of power and hand tools, such as drills, sledgehammers, torches, and welding equipment. May be required to perform NDT, rig explosives, or photograph structures or marine life. Will perform rigging both topside and underwater to complete construction projects.
[list=a]
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
Commercial dive school graduate.
Minimum of two years diving experience.
Must have thorough knowledge of diving practice and theory, and knowledge of equipment uses, repair and maintenance.
NDT certification and underwater welding experience helpful.
[/list=a]
As set forth more fully in the Company's Equal Employment Opportunity Statement, Oceaneering is an equal opportunity employer.