PDA

View Full Version : What kind of blade to cut swingarm pivot bolt?

la400ex
03-01-2003, 05:17 PM
I have tried everything. I cant get to the bolt itself and nothin that I have will cut through the spacers. We tried to drill a hole in it to put some pb blaster but none of the drill bits would even make a mark. I have a brand new metal cutting blade on my reciprocating saw and it wont even scratch it. I tried cutting on each side of the motor with absolutlely no luck. Thanks, Anthony

RideRed400StYlE
03-01-2003, 06:09 PM
I am doing mine right now. you need to get a sawzall with a metal blade, and cut on the side of the spacers closest to the frame. dont cut in the inside because the swingarm goes under it. I cut mine by accident. then the bushing between the motor and swingarm on the right of the motor I used a dremel with a round cutting but and after about 2 hours I got through the bolt there. as for the left side of the motor I am stuck there myself. and I also used a drill and drill the bolt out as big as I can get so there is less material to cut through.. Iwill try and take some pictures if I can.

02Yellow400
03-01-2003, 06:28 PM
Anyone have a plasma cutter handy? I know thats how Rico had to get his out. Good Luck

Colby@C&DRacing
03-01-2003, 06:51 PM
I had to use a torch on mine the first time:D

03-01-2003, 07:28 PM
sounds like fun :( ...never had that problem w/any of my R's :cool:

CBW
03-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by 02Yellow400
Anyone have a plasma cutter handy? I know thats how Rico had to get his out. Good Luck

Yep,,,,,,,its right out in the shop:devil

Its a Miller and will cut up to 3/8" if you need it to

;)

4TraxRider
03-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Mine was a little hard to get out, but a sledge hammer took care of it. Must have been lucky I guess. My friend had the same problem with his EX.

hondaracer31
03-02-2003, 10:55 AM
When I had to cut my buddies out I used a carbide blade for a sawzall.(no teeth, just carbide chips) They're made for cutting cast iron pipe. And lots of patiance!

Jnine
03-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Hello guys:

When you are cutting something hard, the best tool to use is a cutoff wheel on a disc grinder. The wheels only cost a couple bucks each, and they will get through any of the hardened parts in about 15 seconds.

If you don't have a disc grinder just borrow one from a buddy. They are pretty common. Then get yourself one of the THIN cutoff wheels. I like the ones that are about 1/16" thick, although a little thicker is OK also. I never buy the 1/8" or thicker ones however. They are simply a grinding wheel and not really for cutoff work.

Good luck!

JA