PDA

View Full Version : i took a tumble, now im stumped

Lorduss
03-01-2003, 04:15 PM
ok, i had a slow speed crash, infact it was the meaning of slow speed, i was barley going down a hill, and me and the bike took a tumble, the bike did a cartwheel, over me, and after after i got out of the hospital, broken colar bone, my right front tire on my 400ex, the top of the tire is intowards my bike, i cant notice what would be bent, the a arms look good, any idea?

02Yellow400
03-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Its probobly your Tie Rod. Something similar happend to me...Give that a check

03-01-2003, 10:06 PM
yea ur tie rod probably looks like this:eek:

Sportrax10
03-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
yea ur tie rod probably looks like this:eek:
Or this...:eek:
Dont worry, cheap and easy to replace.

trx400ex
03-01-2003, 10:40 PM
if the top is inward its not a T rod, it could be frame, aarms, spindle or wheel

airheadedduner
03-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Or it could be what happened to my R when I broke my collorbone. It twisted the steering stem plate on the bottom wherer the tie rods bolt on..

OutlawEX
03-02-2003, 06:20 AM
Get ahold of CFM is ur tierods are bent..He seriouly makes the strongiest and biggiest i ran

stocktires
03-02-2003, 06:24 AM
Just take a good look at the whole front end, compare both sides, and check to see what doesnt look normal.
It shouldnt be that hard

kicken250x
03-02-2003, 04:11 PM
tie-rod? what are YOU guys talkin about? think about it...the tierod makes ur wheel move SIDE TO SIDE. thats how the bike TURNS. if a tierod was bent that would just give u a chit load more negative or positive caster(i think). with what you are describing you have either an a-arm, spindle, wheel or even your frame or a combo of all. get a tape measure and have at it is all i can tell you, check everything can make sure it isnt bent or broken. after a wreck like that there could be a few other things wrong on other parts of your quad also. later...

ajr400ex
03-02-2003, 05:04 PM
A bent tie rod will give you more toe out. Pretty easy to see. You either bent the spindle, rim, a-arms, or frame or some combination. Take the tires off and look at the spindles and a-arms. Takes alot to bend a frame so I would look at the other stuff first.

toby400ex
03-02-2003, 06:36 PM
would it happen to look like this or is the wheel like slanted:confused:

03-02-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by kicken250x
if a tierod was bent that would just give u a chit load more negative or positive caster

Caster is the relation of the top ball joint to the bottom ball joint and with a lot of positive or negative caster u can not tell a difference in the way the tire sits. what u are talking about is toe in.

best of luck Lorduss on ur problem and hope u get it fixed

kicken250x
03-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by QuadMX18
Caster is the relation of the top ball joint to the bottom ball joint and with a lot of positive or negative caster u can not tell a difference in the way the tire sits. what u are talking about is toe in.

best of luck Lorduss on ur problem and hope u get it fixed

yea thats with a bent tie rod. but what he is describing is a bent arm or something.

QuadTrix6
03-02-2003, 11:50 PM
if its the tie rod it would be obvious, i would just check out the area and compare it to the other side thats not messed up, good luck

Str8Wicked
03-03-2003, 02:06 PM
I agree with the idea that the tie rod would not cause the upper part of the tire to come in towards the frame. This is most likely a bent A-arm.... The front part of the tire moving in or out towards the front of the bike would be a tie rod.