PDA

View Full Version : Airbox Snorkel Filter

Stickman400
01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm gunna put some kind of filter on the end of my snorkel when I put my airbox and everything back on my quad. And I was just going to order a replacement for my K&N and then chop up the old one to fit. But I did a little searching and found this on the Outwerwears site: http://outerwears.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4847 I'm wondering if this is a filter that they made specifically for that. I'm gonna have to go get a measurement of the snorkel's diameter, but I'm hoping this is what I think it is. Anybody got any comments? I would do panty hose like some people suggest, but I want it to repel some water also.

trailrider894
01-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Why would restrict airflow even more than it already is?? They didn't put one on it from factory for a reason.

CJM
01-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Well if you have an open airbox then Id say its worth it. I know it helped reduce the sand that gets in even with the outwears airbox lid I use. Course I use the pantyhose-free mod lol.

I tried it on a friends stock setup and it restricted it a bit to much.

Stickman400
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. I may not run it all the time then. I was mainly wanting to run it because of the water. I ride in creeks every now and then and if I hit a deep hole it forces water into the snorkel and drowns in out for a second, then I'm stuck with a bogged out wheeler in a water hole. It'd be nice to have it as a secondary filter too, but I don't want to bog down the engine anymore than I have to. Anybody have another suggestion for my problem with the water? Maybe a baffle of some kind on the end of the snorkel to break it up before it enters?

CJM
01-15-2012, 09:02 PM
outwears lid and plug the snorkel. or make your own snorkel and reroute it higher somewhere on the bike.

finsteratv
01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a powerlid and k&n filter w outerwears if you go that route.

400excracer
01-18-2012, 02:41 PM
I would put an outerswear on your snorkel and here is why. I did that to my banshee before a XC race figuring that it would be extra protection during muddy races. It ran great when I was warming it up, until I rode it to the starting line. It felt like I had a spark plug fouled. I hurried back and changed the plugs and bearely made it back for the start of the race. The flag dropped and it just puked out and would barely go. I sat there all pissed off and realized after about 10 minutes that maybe the outerwears was the issue. I took it off and it ran perfect. Believe it or not I came all the way back and got 2nd place after spotting the whole field 10 minutes. Anyway....dont put an outerwears over your snorkel. I run the EHS lid and love it. I put an outerwears over the filter and have never sucked in any water. I have been in water so deep you would not believe it and it has worked flawlessly.

Stickman400
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I think I'm gunna try panty hose and see what that does. Then get an EHS lid whenever I get around to it this summer. Thanks.