PDA

View Full Version : High speed tranny gears???

jakesdad6
01-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Are they any better than the stock Drr tranny gears? Does anyone use them? What ratio are they thanks

Hetrick Racing
01-16-2012, 06:11 AM
IMO--- No they are not,,,for dirt track sometimes,,honestly I dont use them enough to stock them or have even counted the teeth.Someone knows the ratio though I am sure

EthansDad
01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
easy way to tell - take the CVT cover off, put bike on stand. mark the top of the clutch bell with a sharpee. rotate the clutch bell, and count the number of times the counter sprocket rotates. 11 (clutch bell) turns to 1 counter sprocket turn = low speed, or 9 clutch bell turns to 1 counter sprocket turns = high speed.

in practice, we've run both. no advantage really and as hetrick said, unless your are running TT or something, I'd stick with low speed gears. ratio is ratio is ratio. keep in mind between your motor and rear wheels you have 3 things that add up to your total final drive ratio. the CVT, the tranny gears and the sprockets. if you change one, the others are effected. so for example, if you go to high speed gears (thinking you'll get more top end), your CVT will work harder and likely not shift out as much, keeping your final (total of all three parts) drive ratio the same (or worse) as before you put in high speed gears.

I think its better to focus on acceleration goals from x to y distance. what ever ratio (of the three you have to play with) that gets you there fastest is your winner. what will change is your goal from one type of racing to the next (mx, xc, tt, etc), testing/setup process the same.

-EA

Logan #34's Dad
01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
easy way to tell - take the CVT cover off, put bike on stand. mark the top of the clutch bell with a sharpee. rotate the clutch bell, and count the number of times the counter sprocket rotates. 11 (clutch bell) turns to 1 counter sprocket turn = low speed, or 9 clutch bell turns to 1 counter sprocket turns = high speed.
-EA

Careful what you say EA, you may confuse someone...lol
There are three types of tranny gears:
11 to 1 - The old 50/70 gears (still used in the 70 Apex's - I believe) - Quick revs.....
9 to 1 - Regular 90cc gears (most common)
7 to 1 - "High Speed gears" - Common in the new DRR's. These are used because they are stronger OR harder to break because there is always two teeth messed together instead of one as with the 9 to 1 gears.
IMO: No matter what tranny gears you choose to run - It then becomes what sprockets to use with those gears. Neveready ran "high speed" tranny and his stuff is fast.
I put the 11 to 1's in mine and it really made it quick without changing sprockets (great for indoors or track where top speed is not an issue - unless, of course, you change sprockets)
Mr. H, I'd love to see back to back Dyno runs using all three trannys with the cvt locked down. I'd bet more people would be looking for the 50/70 gears....

EthansDad
01-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Good clarification rocky, I learned something. They don't call you a gearhead for nothing. :)

Now that you're out of the cvt world (I think, yes?) I'm surprised youre not dropping more gems on us like this one.

Logan #34's Dad
01-17-2012, 10:25 PM
GEM.......
Here's the BIGGEST improvement (performance-wise) I ever made or saw.
I dropped the front sprocket to a 17 then lowered the rear accordingly to keep the same sprocket gear ratio as I had with the 19 tooth front. If you remember the 4 holeshots Logan got at Illinois last year......that was the only change.
My theory was: It takes far more effort from the engine to turn a large sprocket than it does to turn a smaller one.
There ya go Eric.......lol. I'm REALLY gonna miss the CVT though. I mean that, but it's time to move on. Probably won't even qualify in the Mod classes.......ugg.

This message will self destruct in: 5....4....3....

jakesdad6
01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
I am runninig a 19 36 sprokets for xc. If I switch to a 17 front what would I have to change the rear to. Thanks for all the good info

Logan #34's Dad
01-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Go onto the Rebel Gears website and find, download, print a copy of the gear ratio chart. It works similar to the multiplication table chart we dummies had to use to get through math class back in High School.....lol

Hetrick Racing
01-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Simple rule of thumb is 1 tooth in the front is 3 in the rear either direction so your quad would be close with a 17-30 now its not exact but close.

Thats funny Rock the world of motorcycles and ATV's has argued that for years .
Mainly because on the dyno a bigger front usually shows more hp and torque.
But the rider will always feel the smaller front.
My thoughts "rotating weight"
enough said I am still racing cvts ---lol

mmsoup
01-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Now you guys have me thinking

I had 4 sets of the the 11:1 gears in the oil tub wasting away last year until a little transmission tunnel crack cost us a couple of sets of gears.

The motor is a CGR 86cc and the pipe is Marc's and I had a 23 tooth counter sprocket that I got from some parts deal, The quad ran well, but the math got a little murky for me.

I was wondering if the tighter ratio would add or reduce strain to the countershaft in the transmission

Any thoughts?