PDA

View Full Version : a aarm finishes

12-07-2001, 09:13 PM
I am about to order some lonestar or laegers +2 aarams for my 300ex and I was wondeering which finish willl hold up the best and stay looking good. I do mostly woods riding, and will be doing some harescrambles and xcing in future. so which would be better, the powder coating, or chrome. The chrome looks very good.

inacoma91
12-08-2001, 12:58 AM
Go with the powder coat. It is a lot thicker and holds up real well if you plan on riding in woods and harescrambles. I have never had a set of chrome a-arms but I would think they could easily get chipped up and flake easily.

Thunder Racing
Andrew

12-08-2001, 09:30 AM
thats what I kinda thought too, but then again I the powder coat would do like factory arms and get all the coating rubbed of on the bottom edges, where there might just lstay looking chrome because of how smooth it is. I don't know, I probally sound like a fool know, but thats the only way I know how to explain it.

inacoma91
12-08-2001, 10:24 AM
I have a buddy that has Laeger a-arms that are powder coated. They have held up well and we ride trails all the time. He mostly races it but you can see ware on the bottom but it hasnt wore through.............

Andrew
Thunder Racing

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 12:33 PM
im not sure of the finish on the factory arms, but the aftermarket powdercoating wont rub off like on the arms, it is probably your best choice

12-08-2001, 02:34 PM
I have heard that the factory arms are powder coated too though, thats what makes me wonder

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 03:25 PM
well i have silver vien on my burgards, which they claim is more durable than just red or blue powdercoating, i dont know for sure on that. i do know that if the stock arms are powdercoated, i dont think they are, it is a piss poor job of it, on my stock arms the paint wore off the bottom in a couple weeks. on the aftermarkets, in the same conditions, it still hasnt worn off ANY and ive had them on for months, i do alot of riding in the woods where you have to run up to a small tree and plow it over. on the big ones your quad just kind climbs up the tree and bends it, then just when you think your gonna flip on your back, the tree breaks,, this scratches up aarms really quick, but like i said , the aftermarkets have held up AWESOME.....so to sum it up, the aftermarket powdercoated ones will hold up wayyyyyy better than stock (spray painted :rolleyes: ) ones and longer than chrome unless you never take it in the woods

12-08-2001, 03:51 PM
I am planning on getting lonestars. I see that they are offered in that silvervein you are talking about and offered in colored coatings. Do you think that the powdercoating in yellow or someting would hold like your silver vein? I do the same type of tree riding as you especially when blazing trails. I love trail riding, and I am planning on getting into xc racing and haresrambles.

12-08-2001, 03:57 PM
Can you get powder coated bottom a-arms, and chrome plated upper a-arms? I think that would look sweet.:cool:

12-08-2001, 04:01 PM
got a pic of that 300ex, I would love to see it. that chrome upper powder lower is an awesome idea

12-08-2001, 04:06 PM
On my Christmas list I hope to get a digital camera or digital cam corder. If so, I hope to take pictures and post them on the "EX Riders Rides". :macho

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 04:19 PM
dirtwheels and alot of chassis component companys say that silvervien will last longer, i think it would last better than yellow, but i dont think that it should really affect what you get toooo much, any kind of powdercoating (if profesionally done) will last a long time, silvervien doesnt look as good as some other colors too,. so you cant win em all

inacoma91
12-08-2001, 06:17 PM
I think the reason that silver vein lasts longer is because of the finish. It is not a smooth finish like the other colors and the rough finish is going to last longer............

Andrew
Thunder Racing

12-08-2001, 06:21 PM
that is a very good conclusion. I didn't know silvein was a rough finish, thought of it like the factory smooth finish, I am in love with the silvervein finish now. I think I am gonna get them that way. does it make a differnce on stering quickness to have a chrome on the steering stem or not, I was thinking it has nothing to do with the performance, just looks. am i right?

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 06:36 PM
yep your right, as long as you keep it greased you will be ok,,, with silver vien it is a little bumpy like, dont know how to describe it, i dont think it would affect steering much if any, if it did, you could just scrape, sand, or whatever it off.... let me know what you end up doing

12-08-2001, 06:39 PM
I am gonna talk to my frind who owns a race shop near me and see what he recommends on the steering stem, and then I will let you know something. kool?

trx400ex
12-08-2001, 06:57 PM
ye, chroming will be more expensive than powdercoating though, but i think on a steering stem chrome would actually look better, and it is more protected from rocks and sticks than the aarms or swingarm

12-08-2001, 07:06 PM
true, true, but would it look good with the swing arm and aarms powdered

12-08-2001, 10:28 PM
There are differnt powders out there. TGIC, Polyester, Urethane, etc. I hope to talk to a supplier about the "vein" powder versus non-textured powders in their performance characteristics.

I personally do not like the look of the "silver vein". I had my beadlock rings powder coated with a non texture, and they are holding up pretty good to the abuse I wish I didn't give them.