View Full Version : 02 03 crfs? any good?

woodsracer144
01-15-2012, 12:22 PM
I found a 02 CRF motor
Within the last year the following have been done:
-Kibblewhite black diamond stainless steel intake/exhaust valves and kibblewhite valve springs
-Trailttech +13oz flywheel and lighting stator
-Titanium keepers
-All new valve guides
-Head decked
-Jug honed -OEM Honda piston rings
-Valves shimmed
-All new top end gaskets
I have receipts for the parts, as well as the headwork

850 for everything to make it run a good deal. no exhaust.

deathman53
01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
I would say its not bad, thats alot of work on the top end. The part that I would start to question is the bottom end. It has had quite a bit on time on the motor to need new valves. The stator/flywheel that you have there isn't cheap either. My 03 motor needed that in june 09, I bought it in 07(as a complete bike, it didn't seam like it had alot of hours on it). Here is some food for thought, I bought a 05 crf motor that had the whole motor went over with, new oem crank, clutch, cylinder checked, new valves w/ porting and head job, carb, electronics and throttle for $1500.

josborn
01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
You cant hone nikasil, whenever someone tells me that when their selling a motor, I question if they really know what their talking about.

deathman53
01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
you can hone a lined cylinder, you need a special type of hone. Its not like the one that uses stones. Its called a ball hone or something like that. In general, lined cylinders don't get honed much.

josborn
01-15-2012, 05:55 PM
I think that most of the people I have ran into are thinking ball hone, like the ones used on old 250r cylinder. I didnt think there was a hone for nikasil, once its scratched up you got to get it redone or buy a new one. Do you know any companies that offer the honing service? Now I do know that most piston makers tell you to deglaze a cylinder not hone it if it has nikasil.

deathman53
01-15-2012, 10:15 PM
here is the hone that is used for nikasil lined cylinders

http://www.brushresearch.com/flex-hone-tool.php

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/-/256/731/1838/26582/Flex-Hone-Cylinder-Ball-Hone

yes, when you put a new rings in a nikasil cylinder, you have to hone it or types. Alot wrap scrotch brite around a stone type honing tool and do 2 passes on it, just get get cross hatches in it. You are supposed to have cross hatches, so it wears the rings to fit to the cylinder and so it seals 100%.

reconracer64
01-21-2012, 12:21 AM
wiesco makes a nylon bristle hone that you can u to put a cross hatch on a nikasil cylinder

josborn
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Well I stand corrected! I was under the impression that once it started to scratch up it was junk.

I got a cyliner works cyinder that needs honed, $50 to whomever wants it. Only half a season on it.