PDA

View Full Version : Need answer fast (car insurance/registration)

Hondamaster5505
01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Hey guys,
I have a daily driver ram 50 so I haven't been driving the trans am in a while, until I do the trans at least. But I fell behind on insurance payments for months now I havent paid anything on it. The first time I did this in the past, I got a notice in the mail after a while saying my registration was suspended because of it. Then I straightened it out and had the suspension removed.

Well recently, its been much longer then the first time, and I still havent got a notice in the mail? I'm thinking maybe the DMV messed up and never suspended it because I would have got a notice by now.
Do you think thats the case?

And the ram is under my dads insurance fyi, only the trans am was under my own policy.

Im only asking because I kind of want to take it for a spin tonight but don't want to get pulled over with a bad registration.

TheLane
01-15-2012, 11:27 AM
So you still dont have active insurance?

deathman53
01-15-2012, 11:46 AM
to start with, why are you driving a car w/o insurance???? In NJ, when they find out you don't have insurance, they don't suspend just the registration, they do it to your license also. My brother got this, he let his insurance go(only paid a few for the year), this was latest april, he renewed the registration in july(no insurance on it), by september got a letter from dmv, within 30 days if he doesn't provide proof of insurance(going back 90 days before or date dmv became aware of it), that the registration and his license were gonna be suspended. He also lost the privilege to register a vehicle in NJ or hold a license in NJ, forever. He wasn't around for that, nor could prove he had any insurance dating back to april.
Another month went by and he got a letter saying that his driving and registration is permanently suspended in NJ, unless he proved insurance insurance coverage from 05/1/10, he would have to provide a good reason for the lapse of insurance coverage, proof of insurance coverage for the vehicle if he still had it, receipt to plate turned in on vehicle with-in 90 days before(if he no longer had or used the vehicle) and $250, if it was deemed that he was eligible to have his privilege re-instated.

Hondamaster5505
01-15-2012, 11:46 AM
not at the moment.

Hondamaster5505
01-15-2012, 11:49 AM
PA isn't like that. my license is intact. And I haven't been driving an uninsured vehicle, the trans am has been pretty much parked since I stopped making insurance payments.
I've been driving my ram which is fully legal and insured.
I'm just curious why I haven't gotten a notice of suspension on the trans am yet.

TheLane
01-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Im not even going to take the time to answer this question.

Be responsible, get your insurance activated before driving the vehicle.

PS: PA is like that, the MVD is the most notoriously lazy and slow acting MVD on the face of the earth.

derekhonda
01-16-2012, 04:03 PM
You think its the BMV and the insurance companies job to come hold your hand while you fill out the paperwork and write the check?

Hondamaster5505
01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
You think its the BMV and the insurance companies job to come hold your hand while you fill out the paperwork and write the check?

Never said it was, but usually they are very formal about sending notices in Pennsylvania, so I found it strange that I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet.

Im not an idiot, I haven't been driving the car illegally. Since the transmission is all messed up it's just been sitting, other then maybe taking it around the block. When the transmission is fixed it will be re-insured and road legal and become one of my daily drivers again. So I would appreciate a little less aggressiveness by everyone here.

wilkin250r
01-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Well, you can't take it for a spin. Just because you didn't get a notice from the DMV doesn't mean you're legal and good to go.

I'm pretty sure the laws are similar to here in NV, as soon as your insurance lapses, so does your registration. And it get's back-dated, so if your insurance lapses in January, but the DMV doesn't get the notice until February, it still gets suspended effective back in January.

So you're sunk for the time being, no joy-riding. However, you probably have a option for the future. When you go back to the DMV, they're going to try to fine you for your lapse of insurance. But if you prove to them the car was non-operable (usually by showing them a receipt for a major repair dated during the period of non-operation) they'll usually waive the fine.

Hondamaster5505
01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

So you're sunk for the time being, no joy-riding. However, you probably have a option for the future. When you go back to the DMV, they're going to try to fine you for your lapse of insurance. But if you prove to them the car was non-operable (usually by showing them a receipt for a major repair dated during the period of non-operation) they'll usually waive the fine.

Thanks for the informative post. Thats good to know, ill keep the receipts around for the transmission parts when I rebuild it.

trailrider894
01-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
Im not even going to take the time to answer this question.

Be responsible, get your insurance activated before driving the vehicle.

PS: PA is like that, the MVD is the most notoriously lazy and slow acting MVD on the face of the earth.

Thats what I was thinking... So X2, if he was in the military, I would would arrest him. Or atleast make him face some un-pleasant talks from his commanding officer or....

Hondamaster5505
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Thats what I was thinking... So X2, if he was in the military, I would would arrest him. Or atleast make him face some un-pleasant talks from his commanding officer or....

You're cool. :chinese:

Guess im a huge idiot and completely irresponsible and wreckless because I want to take my car around the block in the middle of nowhere, I am just the worst kind of person. Hahaha.

OldGuyonaQuad
01-18-2012, 02:54 PM
You need to cancel the registration on your own. Some states will fine you for dropping the insurance and not turning the tags into DMV (like MD). Why register and insure a vehicle that isn't road ready? You will need to hide it in the garage or the yard and wrap it up because most states won't let you park a non regsitered vehicle on their streets.

hope that helps gl

Hondamaster5505
01-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
You need to cancel the registration on your own. Some states will fine you for dropping the insurance and not turning the tags into DMV (like MD). Why register and insure a vehicle that isn't road ready? You will need to hide it in the garage or the yard and wrap it up because most states won't let you park a non regsitered vehicle on their streets.

hope that helps gl

In PA they "suspend" the registration and ask you to turn in the plate. Which they did the last time until I fixed everything so they never ended up taking it. But this time they haven't requested it yet.

And that's why im not insuring/driving it at the moment. I was driving it with a bad trans for a while and it just wasn't enjoyable so I parked it.

And I heard that too, but no one can ever find my house and you can't see anything from the road, so I don't have to worry about having non-road-worthy vehicles on property.

OldGuyonaQuad
01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
As long as there aren't any stiff fines for suspended registration you have zero to lose but as for the spins around the block without insurance...not a good idea. If little Suzy pulls her ticycle out in front of your uninsured car and god forbid anything happens to her you will spend a nice chunk of your youth behind bars.

I had a buddy 4th of July two years ago totally smashed after the big BBQ, when he went to go to bed the family dog got out and took off on him. So here he is all ***** faced driving in his cul de sac in his jammies sporting a flashlight, neighbors called the cops and next thing you know he got served with a DUI. He got to go to jail in his jammies and slippers. He was 50' from his home..guess what it doesnt matter...be safe..be smart...be legal.

Hondamaster5505
01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
As long as there aren't any stiff fines for suspended registration you have zero to lose but as for the spins around the block without insurance...not a good idea. If little Suzy pulls her ticycle out in front of your uninsured car and god forbid anything happens to her you will spend a nice chunk of your youth behind bars.

I had a buddy 4th of July two years ago totally smashed after the big BBQ, when he went to go to bed the family dog got out and took off on him. So here he is all ***** faced driving in his cul de sac in his jammies sporting a flashlight, neighbors called the cops and next thing you know he got served with a DUI. He got to go to jail in his jammies and slippers. He was 50' from his home..guess what it doesnt matter...be safe..be smart...be legal.
I appreciate the advice.

Just going to rebuild the transmission soon and make it legal.

trailrider894
01-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I appreciate the advice.

Just going to rebuild the transmission soon and make it legal.

Best choice...

People often ask me, Is it really possible to get away with a crime??? Well is say in my experience, YES, UNTIL, you screw up then you get caught every single time... ha ha If i cop even runs your plate, it would come up negative or expired/suspended/ etc... Automatic traffic stop.

OldGuyonaQuad
01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Some townships police cars are now equipped with auto scanners. It runs your plate and alerts the officer if your registration has expired. Big brother is watching *.*

trailrider894
01-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Some townships police cars are now equipped with auto scanners. It runs your plate and alerts the officer if your registration has expired. Big brother is watching *.*

Wouldn't need big brother if you didn't watching!!! ha ha