PDA

View Full Version : fox float evol shocks

dwb_style
01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
im looking at a set of fox floats and was wondering if they have to be valved for a certain weight like other shocks. i wasnt sure, never messed with any air shocks before. thanks

McCrillis
01-15-2012, 10:33 AM
The floats run off of air chambers. They send you a pump with them and you contact them with your weight and riding preferences, and they will let you know what psi you need in both chambers. They told me to start at 160psi in my evol chamber, and 40psi in my main chamber and then adjust from there. Also there response time is insane, I emailed their tech support and got a email back literally 3 minutes later haha. I love my floats, can't be beat in my eyes.

dwb_style
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
alright thanks man. thats what i wanted to hear!

D Bergstrom
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Yep, the Evols have what I would call generic valving in them. I have owned two sets, both times I was only asked for what quad and what a-arms, nothing about riding style, skill level, etc.

In my opinion, I feel shocks should have different valving depending on riding conditions, I think that is why I was never happy with my Evol's. They were good shocks, I could just never get them perfect, feel they needed a little valving work.

Doug

R3Concepts
01-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Fox are not custom shocks. You can make them work fairly well, but will never be perfect. In my opinion PEP are as good as they get when it comes to an out of the box shock.

For the member who posted that he runs 40/160, that's way to low for the Evol chamber, you are going to blow through the travel. Needs to be 220-250.

McCrillis
01-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts
Fox are not custom shocks. You can make them work fairly well, but will never be perfect. In my opinion PEP are as good as they get when it comes to an out of the box shock.

For the member who posted that he runs 40/160, that's way to low for the Evol chamber, you are going to blow through the travel. Needs to be 220-250.

That is where fox told me to start at, based on my specs. I have it set at 200, how would you know what I need it set it to? You have no idea how much I weigh.

R3Concepts
01-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by McCrillis
That is where fox told me to start at, based on my specs. I have it set at 200, how would you know what I need it set it to? You have no idea how much I weigh.

You're right I don't, but I can tell by your reply A.) you have no idea who actually designed the Evol and B.) how the shock actually works.

200 is more like where it should be, but not 160.

D Bergstrom
01-16-2012, 09:05 AM
McCrillis,

Do you have the 1st gen or 2nd gen Evols? I had the 1st gen. I used to run 45 in the main and anywhere from 120 to 150 in the evol. (I weigh 225) I could never run what R3Concepts recommends for the evol chambers, anything over 150 and the quad was unrideable, the shocks would become so harsh I would get beat to death. Granted, I was not riding mx, just desert. There is a guy that I race with and he said the same thing about the 1st gen, he ran his evol pressure in the same range I was. He then switched to the 2nd gen and he said he could run much higher evol pressure's without the increase in harshness.

Run what works good for you, don't be afraid to experiment. I bet I had more test time on my Evol's then any other shock I have ever owned. Just make one change at a time and see if it is better or worse.

Doug

eastside 400
01-16-2012, 10:24 AM
every chassis setup runs a completely different pressure settings. I have people ask me all the time what i run in mine and its never close to what they need. That being said, I run between 35-42 in the main depending on track conditions, you set this pressure to get your ride height where you need it. The evol chamber i run 175 usually. Ive tried running 250 and it works for smooth tracks because it eliminates body roll but its a fairly stiff ride. The easiest way to tune the evol is to look at the upper shaft on the shock, you can see how much travel you are using by looking at where the shaft is dirty and clean. I def dont agree with R3 saying that you need 200+PSI or else you blow through the travel, i run 175 and that's a safe pressure for me with A class MX racing

R3Concepts
01-16-2012, 10:41 AM
The Evol piston doesn't move until the Main chamber pressure equalizes the Evol setting. The lower you run the Evol the more its going to run through the travel, and cause bottoming issues. Also, the way the taper pins in the adjustments are designed, they are not designed to run past a certain point. Everyone is free to run what ever settings they see fit. With my talks with the shock designer they are not designed to run at the low Evol setting Fox recommends.

D Bergstrom
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Maybe they weren't "designed" to run that low of evol pressure's, but they worked fine like that. I never experienced any bottoming issue's, even at 120 psi. Sure, when I raced, I ran them at 140-150 because I wanted to make sure I didn't bottom since I was pushing harder, still no issue's with bottoming.

Again, my quad was unrideable once I got to the 175 and up range in the evol chamber, at least for the areas I ride in. I know Fox gave a min and max pressure for the evol chamber. (I don't remember exactly what it was, maybe 100 - 300?) As long as you are in that range and the shocks are working for you, go for it.

Doug

R3Concepts
01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
With a 22-23" tire for desert I doubt you would see any. They were/are designed off 20" fronts and 18" rears.

One could argue for days on the shock topics. Fox are not a custom shock, so if you don't have any shock tuning experience, and are not willing to take the time to set and maintain, then go with a spring shock.

eastside 400
01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
i understand how the Evol's work, i was just saying that i am not blowing through my shock travel running a 175 evol pressure, i watch my dirt line at each track and check it to make sure im not bottoming them out.