PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

Dibble_Brandon
01-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I just installed my new clutch. When I opened the case, I noticed right away that the final (top) friction plate was in the same groves as all the rest, not on the second shallow notch like it was suppose to be. Could that have caused the slipping issue?

I only have sand tires (I'm a duner as was the previous owner, she has never seen dirt yet lol) so I won't be able to ride her till next weekend :(

dxcody
01-13-2012, 07:01 PM
How did the friction plates look? If they look worn then, it probably was just the clutch was due to be replaced...

If the plates look good then that friction plates being installed incorrectly could be the reason your clutch was slipping.

I personally dont think the last friction plate being installed wrong would cause slipping, but it may have caused premature wear on the clutch, which then lead to slipping. But that could be the case.. Im not sure.

Dibble_Brandon
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
The friction plates were warn, but not super bad. A couple of the metal plates looked black and and were kinda scorched looking. The stack I put in fit better also and though that was weird.

Just going forward a few feet in the garage, the clutch seems to grab better so I'm hoping for the best lol

dxcody
01-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Yea the clutch was prolly just worn out.
It doesnt take much wear for those friction plates to cause slipping.

Now weather or not the last friction being installed improperly could have caused the frictions to get worn out, im not sure.. That last friction being installed wrong could have caused the clutch to burn up and that may have been why the steels looked black.

Im not sure. Someone else on here will probably know for sure, what the result is for improper installation but it would make since to me, if that did cause the clutch to burn up.

glad you got her all patched up and ready to go though!

Dibble_Brandon
01-13-2012, 07:48 PM
If 3rd doesn't slip anymore, I'll be SO happy :p

I really don't want to have to split the case and find something is wrong with the tranny...

If it is the tranny though, atleast the parts are cheap compared to a car lol

Dibble_Brandon
01-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Anyone got any input?

DnB_racing
01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
it doesnt mater if its in the shallow or not, that wont cause slipping.

it supposedly is to help stop chatter,and premature basket wear,

but it wont make any difference with slipping, I doubt it will even do much to stop chatter