PDA

View Full Version : When is a side cover too worn out?

EthansDad
01-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey all,

I've got a CVT side cover that is quite old, but still holding up to the job. lately, the case bearing (the one that holds the shaft of the rear pulley) has been sticking to the rear pulley shaft when I take the cover off. Its like the bearing holder in the case is worn out. I can pop the bearing back in there with my fingers, its quite loose.

anyone got a trick to keep that case bearing in there? I don't really want to jb weld it, cause one day I am going to need to get that bearing back out.

#404's Dad
01-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by EthansDad
Hey all,

I've got a CVT side cover that is quite old, but still holding up to the job. lately, the case bearing (the one that holds the shaft of the rear pulley) has been sticking to the rear pulley shaft when I take the cover off. Its like the bearing holder in the case is worn out. I can pop the bearing back in there with my fingers, its quite loose.

anyone got a trick to keep that case bearing in there? I don't really want to jb weld it, cause one day I am going to need to get that bearing back out.

Pretty common issue, I Prick Punch them around the Bearing in 4 places, it will keep it in, only issue is it makes a bit more work when you have to get the bearing out for replacement later down the road. I'd put a new one in it before pricking it if you decide to do it. If you have a Blind Bearing Puller it won't give ya any trouble getting it out later.

Hetrick Racing
01-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Eric pick up some green loctite it is referred to as bearing and race retainer.
There is 2 different kinds,get the heavier type I am not sure of the number the label is worn off my bottle.

What I do is apply it to the outside race rather generously,install it in the case,Install the case on the engine ,then let it set in a warm area overnight.
Remove the case and peen the case around the bearing about a 16th of an inch from the race,you can do this before or after you let it set up but usually it bounces the bearing back out of the case if you do it before the loctite sets up.

If that doesn't work the case is junk-lol

Hetrick Racing
01-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Sorry I was typing didnt see your post same thing with the loctite lol

bloodswet&gears
01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Clean both surfaces with brake clean on a rag. Apply green loc-tite to
both surfaces. Just make sure it dont get in the bearing. Ford dealer sells it as Stud & Bearing mount. Or just get it at parts house as green loc-tite. Sometimes hard to find it, but it works. You will have to heat it when you replace the bearing, if you ever have to.

I would also peen the housing around the bearing in about 4 spots.

bloodswet&gears
01-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Sorry. You guys type fast.

I think you know for sure what to do now, I hope.

EthansDad
01-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys, I'll give that a try. I had not heard the term "prick punch" before. sounds like something that might happen to you in Tijuana...:)

I'll try the loctite route first, if not I think what you mean there is to score or put a notch in the case bearing holder, makes since. I'll try that as a plan B if the loctite won't hold it.

Thanks all,

-EA

chunky0071
01-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Hetrick Racing
Eric pick up some green loctite it is referred to as bearing and race retainer.
There is 2 different kinds,get the heavier type I am not sure of the number the label is worn off my bottle.

What I do is apply it to the outside race rather generously,install it in the case,Install the case on the engine ,then let it set in a warm area overnight.
Remove the case and peen the case around the bearing about a 16th of an inch from the race,you can do this before or after you let it set up but usually it bounces the bearing back out of the case if you do it before the loctite sets up.

If that doesn't work the case is junk-lol

Thats what I do!!!

CRBOGGAN
01-13-2012, 11:13 AM
LOCTITE #620 RETAINING COMPOUND. PART NO 62040
SLIP FIT HIGH TEMP LARG GAP.

nastynotchback1
01-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Come on Eric.Nothing on a cvt quad ever wears out.It's got to be your fault:D

EthansDad
01-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Ya know nasty, I am more of a tinker body guy than a "keep stuff in tip top shape all the time" kind of mechanic, so I will take some blame there...BUT my kid has an unnatural ability to blow stuff up. I bought an honda xr 80 for him to use in play time figuring that thing will never blow up, just gas and go. 3 rides, motor blew. so it might be wrong, but since my kids does not read this forum, I'm gong to say its all his damn fault! :D

so, if anyone needs to test the breaking limits of their small motor design, my kid's for hire.

nastynotchback1
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Ya know nasty, I am more of a tinker body guy than a "keep stuff in tip top shape all the time" kind of mechanic, so I will take some blame there...BUT my kid has an unnatural ability to blow stuff up. I bought an honda xr 80 for him to use in play time figuring that thing will never blow up, just gas and go. 3 rides, motor blew. so it might be wrong, but since my kids does not read this forum, I'm gong to say its all his damn fault! :D

so, if anyone needs to test the breaking limits of their small motor design, my kid's for hire.

I have seen your stuff and it looks pretty well kept to me.As far as your boy he rides the wheels off of what ever he's on so i could see him blowing a few motors lol

asadad00
01-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Hey all,

I had same issue on our apex and did all the tricks and every time i pulled the cover the bearing would be on the input shaft then I figured it out , new cover on sale 58 bucks I felt like a fool for how many hours I worked on the old cover .