PDA

View Full Version : Ice Quad 2012

jpfmotors
01-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Just finished my ice bike for 2012 now we just need to get enough ice to race, I have never raced this bike on the ice it has Lrd full exhaust, stage 2 hot cam, kn filter, port and polish head, real good jetting. This is the first time I have used front dune tires duel ripped studded heard they work extremely well

jpfmotors
01-13-2012, 06:25 AM
front

DnB_racing
01-13-2012, 08:37 AM
were do you usually run the Ice??

ya this year might take a few more weeks before ice is thick enough

is there a ice series that you will be running in?

TheAwesomehonda
01-13-2012, 08:53 AM
NICE i got studed tires on my ex but we don't have enough ice to get out on the Bay of Green Bay yet.

Baileygunns
01-13-2012, 09:41 AM
There's some ice in New Hampshire... Most of the small lakes and ponds Around me are frozen enough for quads... Don't think I would take my truck to far off shore yet.

I've heard those sand tires work awesome for circle track but not so good on TT style tracks because they don't like to brake hard. I'm interested to know what type of track you run and how they handle when you guys get some ice...

jpfmotors
01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
DNB there will racing in sturbridge Ma check out the website I think it Hamiltoniceracingseries.com hoping next weekend there will be enough ice there is a couple inches on the pond already. I know there we only race to the left (oval).There is another series in Northwood NH that website is Flattrackevolution.com Ive never been up there, Baileyguns do you know were that is?

Baileygunns
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
I have not been to Northwood but my brother-in-law races 2 wheels there (he lives right in Deerfield)... He said it was a pretty good race and if I remember correctly there's money to be had. I'm about an hour north of there in Wolfeboro. I might do a couple races for fun this season but nothing serious... I just moved back up here from Florida so I'm starting from scratch for ice riding, and I'm slacking, lol. I still need to stud up a set of tires. I'm just going to do some stock take off's I have kicking around and look for some better tires this summer..

iceracer17
01-17-2012, 06:09 PM
We use to run that type on front. They work great if you can stay in the groove or very light ice dust but anything more they tend to push bad.

mx Eli
01-17-2012, 08:07 PM
only seen a couple of people run the duel ribbed.
I went riding last saturday and ice wasnt very think but it was a good day, will probably be racing central series this weekend.
what class do you run? do you run a differant swing arm?

jpfmotors
01-18-2012, 08:20 AM
i use the stock 05 swing arm i am going to try the pro class because it has a payout last year i ran a lesser quad and won all the amature races

mx Eli
01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
damn i wish i could run a quad like that and be competitive in A even...

DnB_racing
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
damn i wish i could run a quad like that and be competitive in A even... what do you mean?
why arnt you competitive?

I know with me the only way im even close is if my quad is all done up. Then you see these guys with not much more then stock kickin aass,I guess if your real good you can win with less

mx Eli
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
what do you mean?
why arnt you competitive?

I know with me the only way im even close is if my quad is all done up. Then you see these guys with not much more then stock kickin aass,I guess if your real good you can win with less

I think it has to do more what people run in classes. He said he's goin to pro with a pipe, porting, cam and jetting. in our pro class we have guys running 60hp motors that run 10 hours, or people like pinitatv (guy on here) that runs his walsh ktm and maybe his new roll crf. In my A class theres fully built yzf hybrids. With my mx setup and a sway bar I compete in a class, it does depend on the rider alot but i think the same class in differant series can have a huge a differants.

it's awesome that your able to do that though! would be nice not having to spend so much to run higher classes

DnB_racing
01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by mx Eli
I think it has to do more what people run in classes. He said he's goin to pro with a pipe, porting, cam and jetting. in our pro class we have guys running 60hp motors that run 10 hours, or people like pinitatv (guy on here) that runs his walsh ktm and maybe his new roll crf. In my A class theres fully built yzf hybrids. With my mx setup and a sway bar I compete in a class, it does depend on the rider alot but i think the same class in differant series can have a huge a differants.

it's awesome that your able to do that though! would be nice not having to spend so much to run higher classes I dont think im interiperting this right,are you saying the people he is running agaisnt arnt as talented as the class your running? I hope thats not what you mean, and I apoligize if im taking this the wrong way,
I dont know your machine or you but I can promise you its not your machine thats not letting you be competitive

there are very talented underspoken rideres in every series, that can win with just an average machine and the skill and guts to keep it pinned,

a few years back( when I was much younger and a little less worried about self preservation)I ran a few oval dirt track with a very well setup machine, and didnt do very well compared to some of the guys that just were better then me and wanted it more,

and I give JPF all the credit in the world for being able to win ,its something I can no longer do,and also something many cant do no matter what there setup or funds allow them to do

and the lesson ive learned through out the years, if your not winning its not because the others have better equipment, but its just that they want it more then you, and are just plain better rideres at higher speed, almost any half decent ridere can speed up to slow down when it gets a little harder, but its the winners that arnt slowing down when you are, and that has nothing to do with machine:)

mx Eli
01-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I dont think im interiperting this right,are you saying the people he is running agaisnt arnt as talented as the class your running? I hope thats not what you mean, and I apoligize if im taking this the wrong way,
I dont know your machine or you but I can promise you its not your machine thats not letting you be competitive

there are very talented underspoken rideres in every series, that can win with just an average machine and the skill and guts to keep it pinned,

a few years back( when I was much younger and a little less worried about self preservation)I ran a few oval dirt track with a very well setup machine, and didnt do very well compared to some of the guys that just were better then me and wanted it more,

and I give JPF all the credit in the world for being able to win ,its something I can no longer do,and also something many cant do no matter what there setup or funds allow them to do

and the lesson ive learned through out the years, if your not winning its not because the others have better equipment, but its just that they want it more then you, and are just plain better rideres at higher speed, almost any half decent ridere can speed up to slow down when it gets a little harder, but its the winners that arnt slowing down when you are, and that has nothing to do with machine:)

haha no man I'm not sayin that! sorry if it came off that way at all, Its awesome that he can compete in that class with his machine, I love seein talented riders win against big budget guys. I can relate becuase being 15 and paying for my own stuff i'm forced to realy on my skill. I believe its 40% rider, 40% mental strength and 20% machine

jpfmotors
01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
i spend a lot of time learning and applying what i learn to what i have my quads are very reliable i see a lot of high doller quads that brake down a lot, i am very consitant also, The ice racing series that i run is alot of one lane no passing if you can land a good hole shot ride defensivly you have a good chance landing 1-3 place. When I build my quads they usually dont look all that flashy but but have very good parts in them i talk to a lot of people while racing that are faster than me to learn some of them will help and some are not so nice i hope this helps in how someone can become faster with little money spend, i also do all my work myself includding porting and polishing witch keeps costs down

jpfmotors
01-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Oh DnB the ice races are on this sunday in Sturbridge MA you should come on down

brewster426
01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
That ice racing stuff looks like it would be a blast. There's just no ice around the south. I would love to go up north and try it out. How well does it hook up with the studs?

Balaz_73*00
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Studded tires HOOK up man! Id def say better than knobbies on dirt.

brewster426
01-20-2012, 01:37 PM
My buddy Jackie Meadows has some pictures of him racing on ice in the three wheeler days. That's some wild looking stuff!

DnB_racing
01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
Oh DnB the ice races are on this sunday in Sturbridge MA you should come on down wish i could...I gota work..:mad:

good luck! ride hard and kick some ice... stay safe

jpfmotors
01-23-2012, 09:31 AM
So we had our first race of the season the dual ribbed dune tires do work real good but they need at least 15 psi because the side walls are so thin they wer rolling over a lot when i had 8-9 psi i need to work on the suspension set up alittle bit more but i did ok in the pro am class witch is acually all the pro guys. In my qualify got 3rd so i had good gate pick for the final, in the final had a third place start but keep on drifting to far out on the exit of corners lost a quite of few spots but finished 9th out of 12 i guess it was not to bad but i know i can improve on my exit speed in the corners. Just need more time setting up the handling. There is some nice video of me on you tube search hamilton ice races iam number 18 in the pro am class

TheAwesomehonda
01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
So we had our first race of the season the dual ribbed dune tires do work real good but they need at least 15 psi because the side walls are so thin they wer rolling over a lot when i had 8-9 psi i need to work on the suspension set up alittle bit more but i did ok in the pro am class witch is acually all the pro guys. In my qualify got 3rd so i had good gate pick for the final, in the final had a third place start but keep on drifting to far out on the exit of corners lost a quite of few spots but finished 9th out of 12 i guess it was not to bad but i know i can improve on my exit speed in the corners. Just need more time setting up the handling. There is some nice video of me on you tube search hamilton ice races iam number 18 in the pro am class They man u should paste a link to your races cuz i can't find whcich ones your in.

jpfmotors
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
I dont know how much they update the website but here it is http://hamiltoniceracingseries.com/classes.html